"I just bought a new bike, it's got 24 gears"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My old orange MTB is 3 x 8 and works fine. I take it up mountains a few times a year :smile:

It shows that really you can ride anything that gives you the range of gears you need and changes smoothly. I don't go in for single chainrings on mountain bikes as I like to be able to get up long climbs and still have my knees intact !
I don't think the op meant to criticize the gear set up :whistle:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I would have said - actually I have said many times before:

ohhh, brilliantwheredidyougetitfrom,what'sthemake,what colour,whereisit,showmeapicture .... you coming for a ride? :hyper:

I bet you pull every time with that chat up line

Tin Pot

Guru
What colour is it?

I have no idea how many gears my bike has, 50/34 and 11/27 makes sense to me. Numbers of gears is something my dad might have said in the 80s.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It seems hard to believe now, but I'd had a bike with derailleur gears for over 5 years before I discovered it was quite a good idea to count teeth.
Well, one starts with a bike, just for going to work, really one only wants wheels that turn, brakes that stop the bike.
Then one stumbles across CC, finds out the bike should be cleaned :eek: lubed, chain monitored, cassette changed every three chains ...
A never ending journey of bike mechanics discoveries!

classic33

Leg End Member
What colour is it?

I have no idea how many gears my bike has, 50/34 and 11/27 makes sense to me. Numbers of gears is something my dad might have said in the 80s.
How'd you describe something similar mounted on a hub gear?

Tin Pot

Guru
Well I've a 42-52-62 and 11-28, mounted on a five speed hub gear!

Adjusted right, there's even a neutral.
MoneyMagpie_Raleigh-chopper-bike.jpg

Top Bottom