I just came home and my front door is wide open!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
We frequently leave our front door or downstairs windows open, heck, we even leave the cars open more often than locked and in the ten years we've lived here, we've not even heard of a domestic burglary in the immediate vicinity that whole time and our house and cars have all been unmolested. Which is nice.

ChrisKH

Guru
I once lent my bike up against a tree outside my house meaning to put it away in the garage, got distracted and forgot about it. Thought it was funny the next morning that it wasn't in the garage, then the realisation hit. Bike was still there, fortunately. :biggrin:

Strange, I had a dream last night I had done just that. I use to live in Doncaster, and I went off to on holiday to spain for 5 days. Then came back and noticed my back door was open. Then i remembered.. before I left the last thing I did was take my rubbish out the back! DOH! I'd left it open the whole 5 days. Nothing touched at all. How f**kin lucky was I?

Then the other day I was packing my bike into the car, and accidently left my brand new bar bag (which was empty) at the side of the road. Realised 5 minutes later, went back and it'd had gone.. grrrr.

When I was a kid, I left my bike in a snicket/gennle for a whole night. Totally forgot about it! And was still there the next day. My brother left his bike at the top of a hill as he nipped round the corner for a pee, and it had gone!

It really is pot luck I think!

Shaun

Founder
I check the shed every morning to see if anyone has messed with it during the night - quick peek out of the kitchen window to make sure gate and shed door are undisturbed, job done.

Looked out this morning - shed and gate fine - but some saddo had nicked all the washing I'd put out ... what do they want with our washing for goodness sake ... huff puff ... walk past the dining room table on the way to shout up the stairs to Mrs. Admin that some clothes-fetishist had nabbed our undies and socks when I notice a pile of washing laid across the table!!!! Oh, that'll be the washing I brought in last night then ... DOH! :biggrin:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

My sister when she lived in Bantry Bay (West Cork) used to leave her doors open all the time. Until one night her husband heard an noise downstairs a drunk had somehow found his way out of the village and up the hill to their place and decided to kip in their front room. Its a good job her husband is 6foot plus.

Talking about bikes, when I went to Cairns last year; the guide said he'd accidentally left one of his bikes up in the Atherton Tablelands; he came back after the weekend and it was still there unlocked.
I on the other hand have never got over having my raleigh chipper nicked from the back garden of my old house when I was small.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My uncle and aunt in Wales leave their front door unlocked all the time. When ever I visit I just walk in, as do any of their friends/neighbours etc.. they say they have never locked it in all the years they have lived there.

I have been known to leave my door keys in the lock after a night out on the beer...
And also once went to work and left the front door open with mrs ianrauk and baby still in bed. She wasn't best pleased.

A friend of mine came back from playing a gig one night and put his Fender Stratocaster (£1000+) down on the doorstep while he fumbled for his keys. When he woke up the next morning he realised he'd left it on the step. Never saw it again. The idiot.:biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
ianrauk said:
My uncle and aunt in Wales leave their front door unlocked all the time. When ever I visit I just walk in, as do any of their friends/neighbours etc.. they say they have never locked it in all the years they have lived there.

I have been known to leave my door keys in the lock after a night out on the beer...
And also once went to work and left the front door open with mrs ianrauk and baby still in bed. She wasn't best pleased.

I frequently leave my keys in the lock. It's a man thing. But I don't need any beer.

I left the back door wide open once and went out somewhere - it was when I was getting over a really bad concussion after being hit by a car.
Husband once left his digital camera under a bench outside the hotel we were staying at after a wedding. Remembered in the middle of the night and luckily it was still there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm not the best at remembering. Usually panic about the garage, only left it unlocked a few times, but I'm always double checking....

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've been out and left the patio doors wide open more than once. Where we lived before had on street parking only and I've left the car unlocked too - one time someone pinched the maintenance book but left my CDs, bloody philistine.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Who would want a load of Cliff Richard cd's? ;):biggrin:

threebikesmcginty said:
I've been out and left the patio doors wide open more than once. Where we lived before had on street parking only and I've left the car unlocked too - one time someone pinched the maintenance book but left my CDs, bloody philistine.

Globalti

Legendary Member
PaulB said:
We frequently leave our front door or downstairs windows open, heck, we even leave the cars open more often than locked and in the ten years we've lived here, we've not even heard of a domestic burglary in the immediate vicinity that whole time and our house and cars have all been unmolested. Which is nice.

Blimey Paul! You must live in a gated fortified estate with rabid rotties running loose if you've never been burgled in Colne!

Top Bottom