I just dont understand!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iceniner

During term times im at univeristy, but at holidays like christmas i go back and stay with my parents, so couldnt take my bike with me :-( But this evening i went on my first ride of 2008 after my christmas break :biggrin:

Ive not been cycling very long, maybe around 3 months or so but when i first went to buy a bike and accessories, i knew i had to get lights to be seen at night. And a fair deal of recent conversation has proved lights are often a well known thing to go on bikes, so not a mad assumption for me to make?

But out on my 10mile round trip i passed at least 4 cyclists with no lights on cycling on the pavements in only low lit areas. This was followed by one young lady who was riding with no reflectors and no lights on a fold up bike in the gutter of an unlit road. If it wasnt for my front lights i might not have seen her till much later.

As i went passed her i kindly and with as little rudeness as possible reminded her that she needed lights by law and she seemed to stare at me blankly as if i was a ghost or something (with my new front light, dual 1/2watt smarts glowing red hot and in a high viz shirt on :biggrin:

Do you often run into people like this? Do you say anything?

col

Legendary Member
Yes,they are all over,but leave them to it,its not worth the grief.

Now look at the cars......

There are an equaaly large number with faulty missing or broken lights.

Last year our local rag (quite rightly) had a front page picture of an unlit cyclist with a suitable headline and editorial suggesting that cycling on a busy road with no lights

Unfortunately the impact was lost as the car next to him had only one headlight, and the one the other way no rear lights at all.

There are responsible and irresponsible road users........

Yes there are plenty out there. I do sometimes make a comment. What have you go to lose. If they ignore you it is their own choice. You might, however, make them think twice. It is also possible that they just haven't given it thought before (crazy I know but..). For the possibility of saving a life I think it is worth it.

Of course, if the cyclist has a tattoo on his forehead and a machete in his left hand it is probably best not to say anything...:biggrin::biggrin:

So how many posts will it take Dom to suggest that I shouldn't give out unsolicited advice...... :biggrin:

Cunobelin said:

Last year our local rag (quite rightly) had a front page picture of an unlit cyclist with a suitable headline and editorial suggesting that cycling on a busy road with no lights

Unfortunately the impact was lost as the car next to him had only one headlight, and the one the other way no rear lights at all.

There are responsible and irresponsible road users........

Indeed you are right cunobelin. The only difference is that the cyclist is much more vulnerable than the car driver. It's the fact that unlit cyclists are risking their own lifes the most that makes it all the more insane.

Of course an unlit car does put other road users at risk as well....

(I know an unlit cyclist does to, but to a lesser extent)

Keith Oates

Janner
I think cars that have the drivers side headlight out of action are a real danger. I once had an experieince on a motorbike when one single light was coming towards me and I thought it was another motorbike but when we passed the front wing on the drivers side of a car was so close as to give me a fright!!!!!!!!!!!!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You aren't in Cardiff are you... I was there over Christmas and the number of cyclists without lights there really suprised me - not saying we don't get them in Bristol but I think it was only 1 in every 5 that actually had lights and that was cycling on the road (perhaps it was a particular type of person that was out on Boxing Day evening - all sensible cyclists tucked up at home with their lights:biggrin:).

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Cunobelin said:

I'd say theres a larger number. However I also reckon the %age/proportion overall is lower

OP
OP
Iceniner

Iceniner

summerdays said:
You aren't in Cardiff are you... I was there over Christmas and the number of cyclists without lights there really suprised me - not saying we don't get them in Bristol but I think it was only 1 in every 5 that actually had lights and that was cycling on the road (perhaps it was a particular type of person that was out on Boxing Day evening - all sensible cyclists tucked up at home with their lights:biggrin:).

Yep! Im in Cardiff, if you see me give me a wave! :blush: Ive got a silver moutain bike and now my helemet has nice strips of reflective tape all over it!

I have to say that so far my experience with the drivers here has been pretty good. Last night when i was cycling around town i was trying to put into practice the secondary and primary technique and it worked pretty well as had no close shaves - i didnt even get horned once! :wacko:

RedBike

This seems to be a very common problem. I pass far too many riders like this on my commute.

Nearly always on MTBs (Nothing personnel about MTBers) with their saddles set far too low.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
A fair few on road bikes on my commute without front lights either. Some do have a rear light - perhaps they ration their batteries and have it in the rear one day and the front the other ? Possibly one of those weight-weenie tips...

bonj2

Keith Oates said:
I think cars that have the drivers side headlight out of action are a real danger. I once had an experieince on a motorbike when one single light was coming towards me and I thought it was another motorbike but when we passed the front wing on the drivers side of a car was so close as to give me a fright!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to have a go at my bro over xmas for having his car like this, he should know better being a motorbiker. fortunately it was my other bro who sold him the car so knew how to get the bulbs out and went and got him a new one. his excuse was 'well it's ok it works on full beam.' :blush::rolleyes:

domd1979

Veteran
I quite often pass a bloke on a road bike on my way to work who has lights on his bike, but I've never seen them switched on!!

goo_mason said:
A fair few on road bikes on my commute without front lights either. Some do have a rear light - perhaps they ration their batteries and have it in the rear one day and the front the other ? Possibly one of those weight-weenie tips...

Top Bottom