...I just nipped down to Montpellier..but I'm back (again) now!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

Um, it also makes me want to meet someone like Lori.....

Tony

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Thankyou all.

The Rhineradweg bikeline maps are still sitting on my floor here..I may still do this ride one day..I only hesitate because it is getting towrds later summer now and I dont fancy the Rhine in the rain much....possibly next spring...who knows....it's an option. As indeed is the Dutch LF1 & LF10...I mean I have th emaps now so I may as well use them! I reckon the rhine radweg would be just over a weeks ride for me if I am solo & the weather is good...but if I rode with a group or partner then it woud be longer especially if city centres are on the agenda....dunno...my head is still full of new bike syndrome and a little voice that keeps whispering ...'What about America?"...." you tough enuff?":biggrin:

Happy to give any info on LF1. It formed the first part of this year's tour.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Happy to give any info on LF1. It formed the first part of this year's tour

Hi Tony,

I would be interested to know as much as poss about that route. Particularly the section up the coast from the hook and onto the islands. My 'concerns' (for want of a better word) are primarily about the surface conditions near the beaches. I have 28 tyres and I know that most German and Dutch tourers I have met ride with big thick tyres on upright position bikes (oh so practical that lot arn't they;):smile:)
I don't want to be riding over crappy radweg surfaces again.
I have been all over the islands of Fohr Amrum & sylt further up and I know that the dunes wouldnt be particularly easy going with a loaded bike. What about access to the beaches with the bike, is that possible or does it involve dragging the thing across deep sand etc?
I'd also be interested to hear your views/experiences about camping and hostel accomodation on that route. Is it expensive? How confident would you feel there in pitching the tent and leaving all the gear in it all day while on the beach for example?
And here's the biggie...which way does th ebloody wind blow mostly?:ohmy:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Um, it also makes me want to meet someone like Lori.....

she'll be there for a while I reckon...but may have gone to Barcelona by now, your best bet would be to walk from Barcelona to Monhellier along the beaches , I reckon you'll find her in the general vicinity....you'll need to look out for an eyecatching left ankle tatoo:biggrin:

Ergle

Über Member
Well done BTFB for a heroic ride and a superb write up. The distance you covered in the time, with with the knee problem and the full touring load!! You could change your name to BigTallFitBloke! Like previous posters I am inspired by your trip. (Thinks)... It's still August, and France isn't that far from Surrey.....

I've taken my time reading all that BTFB because it deserved it. It's one of the best write ups I've read, really, in fact I shall read it again.

Really inspirational stuff, proper travel writing style and ridden with adventure - Excellent.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...well here is an addition to the write up:

4/9/08

The pain in the wrist I had been living with since the fall on the Bodensee in July just didnt seem to want to go away. It had been tough lifting things in France,especially the bike, without experiencing stabbing pain in the left wrist joint. I have been back in the UK now for two weeks and finally I decided to go to the GP. She took a good look and sent me down to A&E for the Xray I didn't have time for before I went to France.
My left wrist is now imobilised in a stiff velcro fastened splint thing in a fetching putrid flesh colour...yep...I had ridden across France with a broken wrist:ohmy::biggrin:.

Top Bottom