...I just nipped down to Montpellier..but I'm back (again) now!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...I just nipped down to Montpellier..Full write up now included.

I am very pleased I did it:smile:. I am going to sleep now, then i'll put up some pics and more info etc.Hope UR all well:smile:

First week in September is usually quite nice weather - where will you be going next ?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Well if you insist..

here is one outside the Roman ampitheatre in Arles:

and here is one from earlier in the ride on the Somme battlefields:

and one of Lyon airport which was a s close as I got to the dreaded blot:

Wise words from an old Wizard:

On the med

...where can i upload a LOT of pics for free easily & quickly and then post a link up here fro you all to look at? I have them uploaded to Kodak but it only lets me invite by individual e mail.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Thanks John I will try that.

How was the trip?

Well I really enjoyed it. It was however a lot harder riding that the Germany tour I did last month with Klaus because Of several reasons:

I dont speak any french
french hills are bigger
french headwinds are stronger
french shops are always closed

However the road surfaces outside of the towns are much better in france which is important for my bike. The campsites are also much cheaper in france although the further south you get the more they cost until in Montpellier they are just stupid money.

The weather was as changeable in france as it was in germany although generally better. I had one day of solid freezing rain and a strong headwind, and another 3/4 day of the same, otherwise it was sunny. I had several long rides which were more like survival rides in temperatures over 35 degrees in the shade and where there was no water for miles and miles.
The big towns are just like any big town, except the french big towns are dirtier. I avoided them whenever possible.
Although riding alone I did meet people in the evenings. I met a nice family on the first night who poured unlimited bacardi cokes down my throat for free, an american from new york who was riding around europe (had been for three months) and just appeard out of nowwhere from behind one evening as I was riding into the village...shouting..."Hey man, stop!!! you speak english right?!"...which indeed I do, so we camped up and shared any food we had and a few beers...he was literally drifting, sleeping in forests and with no contemplation of where he was, not even a map, just riding by gut instinct of where North was and the road signs!!! Then there was the english campervan group who decided that because I rode more Km each day than they drove I was in need of free beer all night, and the australian cycle tourer who was about to shoot himself because of the terrible rain that day. I met a rastfarian from south London in a tiny french village called St Seine D ' labbaye, he was lost in a campervan. On the last night I met Lotti who had literally just arrived in montpellier in nothing but the clothes she was wearing, no tent nothing, just sleeping on the beach. We had a great time and sung songs with some guy who had a guitar.

The bike was perfect, now technical faults at all wwhich was good because I only saw one bike shop in all of france and that was closed.

I cooked my own food and managed the trip on under 140 Euros excluding the flight. Maximum spend in a day was 30 euros in Montpellier and zero euros in La Riceys.

Sometimes I slept off of campsites, like one night when i slept on the village football pitch!

I was riding 120km each day on average, less on hillier sections and more on the flat sections. I had no problem navigating as I had 1" to 2.8mile 1:180,000 scale map pages torn from a road atlas. I used these 90% of the time and used my GPS to get through towns and to find the campsites in the evening. I didnt have to ask for directions once...which was good because I would never have been able to understand the reply!

I saw some really beautiful parts and some not so nice parts (in the towns). I rode through the champagne producing villages, the Cotes du rhone and the chateux neuf du pape vinyards. I rode along the rhone river south which made navigation a breeze. i rode on the smaller roads when possible, but i often had to take the larger national routes because they were the only roads going my way...mostly they were traffic free though...until I got to Avignon...then all hell broke loose and the roads became fast moving death traps . Montpellier is a shithole...my advice is DO NOT GO THERE EVER!...dirty, expensive crowded, full of thieves and ugly. I had another week before my pre booked flight home (as I had thought it would take me 2 weeks)...but rather than stay in Montpellier I decided to change the flight and come home. Besides the prospect of another night with Lotti on the beach , whilst appealing, wasnt the right decision to take!

This trip was about the riding...about getting there. I didnt stop for anything except food and sleep....my Tunnel blick, a good fast bike and God got me there safe.

I lost another 9lbs on this trip as well, even though I was eating anything and everything!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Sounds a great experience. I'm almost tempted to travel alone for the different experiences and chance meetings it would throw up but mrs rich p might object!

I think you should write it up as a journal with pics on crazyguyonabike. It would make a good read.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/pp207/Bigtallfatbloke/

I dont know if this link works, but it should let you see all the pics I took en route.

I should write it up I know...I kept a small log each night so that will help...I need to do both this and the germ trip as well...i think i will do it as the winter nights creep in, mean time I need to find somewhere else to ride across.

I'm almost tempted to travel alone for the different experiences and chance meetings it would throw up but mrs rich p might object!

It does allow you to meet all sorts of people, but only in th eevenings, and then they/you are gone. One thing I really enjoyed was looking forward to whatever the evening would offer me, usually I hooked up with somebody, but there were a couple of nights on my todd. I am still regretting moving on from Lotti,,,it was one of those things that wasnt real but was real ...and the Mrs would definatly not have approved had I not moved on:biggrin:

I dont know if this link works, but it should let you see all the pics I took en route.

Works fine. Didn't take you long to set up. Some nice pics there. I thing I agree - a 2nd beach night with Loti would not have been the best idea.

Smeggers

BFTB - you are definitely in the premier league of bike touring now. I'm proper jealous.

Mark Beaumont better watch out! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

i just looked at my gps stats...trip odom 1181km max speed 84.3km/hr (on a loaded bike!!!...I remeber that hill and th etail wind..very scary) moving ave 19km/hr. In total on bothe the german and french trips the total ascent stat reads 21478m

Pic of the gps track log I just downloaded from the garmin:

the gap in germany is due to muggins switching it off to save batteries/money. The german section took 12 days, the french section 9 days, the straight lines are the flights when the garmin was switched off.

Top Bottom