I just signed up for my first sportive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
...at age 48. :rolleyes:

Anyway, better late than never! it's somewhere around Cirencester on 13 December.
Well in! Never too late to start.

I thought you were going to say you're making your debut at The Hell Of The Ashdown, which would have been, erm, an "interesting" introduction...

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Well in! Never too late to start.

I thought you were going to say you're making your debut at The Hell Of The Ashdown, which would have been, erm, an "interesting" introduction...

Hell of the what now?

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Me too, same age, probably same trepidation too! Different Sportive though (Warwick on 29/11/15) as Cirencester would have me do it aged 49 and that would never do! Good luck. ^_^

And to you! Let us know how you get on.

Andy

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Me too, same age, probably same trepidation too! Different Sportive though (Warwick on 29/11/15) as Cirencester would have me do it aged 49 and that would never do! Good luck. ^_^

Why the trepidation?
It's not a race. They won't throw you off the roads even if you are (which you won't be) last. You are just riding on a road as normal following some hiviz arrows and/or your gps/

chappers1983

Good luck to all those taking on their first sportives. I only did my first in August 2014, and now I'm readying for my 26th this Sunday so that should give you an idea how much I enjoyed getting into it - hopefully you will enjoy it just as much.

I'll also be doing the Warwick one on the 29th so may well see you out there!

Good luck to all those taking on their first sportives. I only did my first in August 2014, and now I'm readying for my 26th this Sunday so that should give you an idea how much I enjoyed getting into it - hopefully you will enjoy it just as much.

I'll also be doing the Warwick one on the 29th so may well see you out there!

Glad it's not just me then! ^_^

RegG

Über Member
I've been looking at the list of events for next year and I am hoping to get fit enough to enter one or two.... I've only been riding seriously since April/May this year and at my age, nearly 62, I am not sure if I am biting off more than I can chew by entering a sportive.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions for an 'easy' first event, not too far from Nottinghamshire? :bicycle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've been looking at the list of events for next year and I am hoping to get fit enough to enter one or two.... I've only been riding seriously since April/May this year and at my age, nearly 62, I am not sure if I am biting off more than I can chew by entering a sportive.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions for an 'easy' first event, not too far from Nottinghamshire? :bicycle:

Once again. Why the trepidation?
You are just riding your bike on open roads with other cyclists. That's the bottom line of it.

Citius

Do you go for bike rides at the moment? Like Ian says above - it's the same thing. You are still going on a bike ride, you just go on a bike ride with other people who are also going on the same bike ride.

13 rider

Guru

Search for great Notts bike ride . Distances of 25,50,75 and hundred all nice routes and we'll organised

RegG

Über Member
Once again. Why the trepidation?
You are just riding your bike on open roads with other cyclists. That's the bottom line of it.

I suppose the trepidation lies with me being the wrong side of 60 and only recently having taken up cycling again after many years, together with the thought of 'competing' with dozens of younger, more capable riders.

Search for great Notts bike ride . Distances of 25,50,75 and hundred all nice routes and we'll organised

Thanks for the suggestion. This looks like a good starting point for me. Will have to see if I can persuade my wife to join me for the 25 miles. At the moment we get out on the bikes as often as we can and do at least 10 miles but more recently we have been reaching 20 without any difficulty so must be getting better!

Top Bottom