I just signed up for my first sportive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think most of the sense of competition (for those that want it) is with yourself. I certainly didn't see anyone racing each other but I did see a few giving it everything (or maybe that was just the wind! ^_^).

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hahaha

I can't believe I was deliberating whether to do the short or long route.

I did the short 45-mile and I was physically shattered by the end. I probably went out too fast- I stayed with a fast(er than me) group for about 20 miles before my freezing cold feet started to sap my energy...

The 'split' was 400m from the end and would have added 20 miles! Hahahaha

I learnt a few things, though!

I need a comfier seat and my overshoes next time.
Bravo indeed! Yes, going off too fast is my constant mistake...sportive or solo! As for the feet, I've been experimenting and layers (surprise, surprise) seems to be the secret. Thermal socks, wind-proof liners, shoes then over-shoes. I've found the neoprene variety warmest.

IBarrett

Über Member
I've just signed up for my first sportive. I'm doing the Southwell 60 miles on 3rd April.
My only hope is not to finish too far behind one of the ladies in the office who is also doing it and competes in duathlons.

I'm 53 but 100% fitter now than I was 6 months ago.

I ride a Specialized Rockhopper on road tyres but have just bought my first road bike - a 2012 Giant Defy 1
I owned my last road bike when I was 11 years old !

I've just signed up for my first sportive. I'm doing the Southwell 60 miles on 3rd April.
My only hope is not to finish too far behind one of the ladies in the office who is also doing it and competes in duathlons.

I ride a Specialized Rockhopper on road tyres but have just bought my first road bike - a 2012 Giant Defy 1
Cool, They do get addictive, I'll be on my 4th or 5th by then I hope. Might be a fun one to do too...

Montydog

mmmm this looks interesting.......used to live in the Notts area:okay:

chappers1983

Good luck! I'd wanted to do that one, but am doing the Wiggle Vale Velo the day before now instead. Will be looking forward to hearing how it goes for you

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I did my 2nd one yesterday, much better prepared and managed to stay warm so I had enough left to pick up the pace over the last few miles.

I still need to do something about that bloody seat though...

IBarrett

Über Member
It was a bit cold to be out yesterday 3narf, I'm impressed you went.
How many miles was it this time and how did you feel at the end?

Montydog

I did my 2nd one yesterday, much better prepared and managed to stay warm so I had enough left to pick up the pace over the last few miles.

I still need to do something about that bloody seat though...

:okay: yep fitted new seat on mine...old one now being used as a knife in kitchen:laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom