I just signed up for my first sportive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
You're not competing with anyone other than yourself. Sportives are 'challenge' rides, or what used to be called 'fun' rides.

Competing was perhaps too strong a word. I do understand that sportives are a challenge and I do feel that I would like to challenge myself to complete at least one in the next year. I am sure, thinking about it, that there would be other 'older' riders taking part (thats better than 'competing'!) and that I just need to go at my own pace, not worrying about how many youngsters are flying past me!

Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice. I will seek to find a suitable sportive and give it a go, after all, if you don't try something you can't know what its like!

There a ride to enjoy, not to compete. Try one that is outside of your normal routes-,fresh territory, fresh views.
This year was my first sportives, I've done 5. I am 73.

Hmmm, this could be 'interesting'. First sportive looks like we start off, uphill, into a 40mph headwind! Oh well, bit of a challenge. :eek:^_^
Weather.JPG

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yep, depending on where you check it's either 20mph with gusts up to 40-45mph or just full-on 40's. So long as they don't cancel it I'll be there...will make a decision on wheels the night before.
I'm guessing it's some kind of loop in which case, believe me, it's better to have a headwind at the start than at the finish.

I'm guessing it's some kind of loop in which case, believe me, it's better to have a headwind at the start than at the finish.
Yep, there'll be a nasty resumption of wind at about 70% of distance but the last 15% or so is tailwind. Perhaps more of a concern is that there may be right-angle crosswinds gusting at 40+ for more than 60% of the ride. Perhaps not the time for aero wheels. :laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@Sbudge How did you get on? I was out for a local ride and got caught up in your sportive, saw a few people struggling with the wind

Hiya,

Not bad, wind was pretty brutal at times but managed a reasonable time without too much drama... just very hard work. Did see one rider though with what looked like at least 60mm carbon wheels... Didn't envy him at all.

I'll certainly be trying another. :-)

[edit] Though it seems I was wearing my invisibility cloak. Just had a look at the 'official' photography site (family wanted some) and there's not one of me. Passed 2 maybe 3 phptographers but I can only assume there was always someone much better looking just behind me! ^_^

Last edited:
OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hiya,

Not bad, wind was pretty brutal at times but managed a reasonable time without too much drama... just very hard work. Did see one rider though with what looked like at least 60mm carbon wheels... Didn't envy him at all.

I'll certainly be trying another. :-)

[edit] Though it seems I was wearing my invisibility cloak. Just had a look at the 'official' photography site (family wanted some) and there's not one of me. Passed 2 maybe 3 phptographers but I can only assume there was always someone much better looking just behind me! ^_^

Well done!

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
So, there's no element of competition? The one I'm doing has a choice of two distances, c.45 miles and c.65.

The distance aspect isn't that important to me, I'm more of a sprinter. I'd get more enjoyment out of going faster on the shorter route, but I might get more kudos for doing the longer one... Is it like LA, better to look good than feel good? ^_^

None of this matters to anyone except me, of course.

Top Bottom