Votes: 40 16.9%
  • 40-50

Votes: 76 32.1%
  • 50-60

Votes: 75 31.6%
  • 60+

Votes: 34 14.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Sounds like going part time in a few years time might be an idea.
I was considering dropping a day or two, but reckoned that they would just expect me to do what I normally do in the three days I was working and the extra days at home wouldn't be enough to really get into a "project" before I had to go into a work again. So I worked fulltime for six months after I reached 65 and enjoyed a brief time when my pension monies started coming in and was still being paid. I tried to bank the extra money to prove I was ok financially and then gave my notice. I haven't missed the job I "loved" doing.

Haven't increased my cycling significantly, but waiting for the frost to melt and going out in the middle of the day is a real bonus.

I've concluded that early 50's is the worst possible age. The energy, fitness and waistline of youth has long departed but I'm still a decade or more from a retirement pot that like rainbow gold seems to get further away - and smaller -the nearer I get to it. And given the number of my colleagues who have dropped dead in recent years I seriously doubt whether I'll ever get to it.

D

Deleted member 1258

I was considering dropping a day or two, but reckoned that they would just expect me to do what I normally do in the three days I was working and the extra days at home wouldn't be enough to really get into a "project" before I had to go into a work again. So I worked fulltime for six months after I reached 65 and enjoyed a brief time when my pension monies started coming in and was still being paid. I tried to bank the extra money to prove I was ok financially and then gave my notice. I haven't missed the job I "loved" doing.

Haven't increased my cycling significantly, but waiting for the frost to melt and going out in the middle of the day is a real bonus.

Something I've noticed, I don't have the time to do more than 1 or 2 rides a week, looking back it looks like the commuting I was doing whilst I was working was what kept the miles ticking over.

Jimidh

Veteran
Just turned 50 a few weeks ago but still feel like a young man.

Can still ride my bike fast and I'm certainly fitter and leaner that most people - put that down to the bike rather than good diet and habits as I still enjoy scoffing my face and enjoy my beer and wine.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Life is seriously weird.
I am 69 and despite a few ops for cancer over the last 3 years have been feeling really really good. Then my last treatment (2 weeks ago) reacted so badly I suddenly felt like I was 100 years old. Then yesterday it started to lift and today I feel great again :smile:........will be having a ride tomorrow or Tuesday.

Top Bottom