I know this has been discussed before but........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
My grandson passed his driving test last Saturday, first time with just one minor fault. He has a Vauxhall Corsa worth no more than 2000 pounds. He shopped around for insurance since Saturday and the cheapest he could find was 4000 pounds WITH a black box. This is a disgrace!1 Why do they penalise youngsters even before they have the chance to prove their driving skills ? Then, one wonders why so many people drive with no insurance. My grandson is now planing to buy a 3 year old car as the insurance will be cheaper, only by about 500 pounds . We live in a very greedy society and it is not getting better.

It'll be a combination of factors as posted already, mostly inexperienced driver coupled with the type of car, vocation, and the generally high value of vehicles on the road these days, so the insurance premium needs to reflect the cost of replacing or repairing those vehicles too.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
True, but there can still be a lower premium for adding a named driver.

Yeah usually a tenner less these days, if anything at all

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I talk to youngsters about their cars and their car insurance. They tell of paying £500 A MONTH!!:ohmy: I hit them with "mine's only £210"! :angel:. When they say "heck, that's cheap" I shock them even more telling them "and that's for the whole year, not just for one month"! :giggle:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
He’d be better off signing up to a car club like CoWheels or Enterprise. Car use at a fraction of his current costs.

Do they take drivers under 21, rental companies generally hammer younger drivers, indeed those under 25 even.
Enterprise used to rent cars to people on their own insurance, but like in the US or hammer you to take theirs

Last edited:
I can't really see why insurance quotes seem to have gone up so much in the last year. I've heard talk of people's doubling.

How could that make sense? I know inflation has gone up but I can't believe there's been a huge increase in claims too ?

I'm sure Martin Stewart is on the case anyway.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't really see why insurance quotes seem to have gone up so much in the last year. I've heard talk of people's doubling.

How could that make sense? I know inflation has gone up but I can't believe there's been a huge increase in claims too ?

New cars apparently much more expensive to fix, especially electric ones, cost of parts, write off if any damage to battery, lack of mechanics. And claims back up to pre Covid levels (for a couple of years prices even went down a little or didn't see an annual rise)
Not sure who Martin Stewart is? Perhaps you mean Martin Lewis?

Alex321

Veteran

There was a huge dip in claims during lockdowns, and many people's insurance actually went down significantly. This is mainly just getting back to what they would have been now if COOVID had never happened.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
It’s a stupid risk to take.

Fronting is something that insurance companies are vigilant about. It’s also fraud, so you could end up with a criminal conviction, affecting possibly your current job and any future job that needs a CRB check.

At the very least the policy will be void, you’ll lose the premium AND you’ll be responsible for your repair costs if you’ve had a collision. Oh, there’s 6 points on your licence, a fine and the potential for jail too.

And good luck getting any insurance after that.

Jail, no chance for that. Even very serious criminals are often getting off with community orders.

mustang1

Legendary Member
If young drivers are that much of a risk on the road, then they shouldn't be allowed to drive until they reach a certain age (what do insurance companies consider "not too young", say 21?)

It's a bit like a drink person, or drug induced person driving a car: it's.judt not allowed due to high risk. Similar thing with young persons. But I suppose if the young person, or the parents, are rich enough then they will be allowed on the road regardless of whether they are a danger to others.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Do they take drivers under 21, rental companies generally hammer younger drivers, indeed those under 25 even.
Enterprise used to rent cars to people on their own insurance, but like in the US or hammer you to take theirs

Enterprise says:
In order to join Enterprise Car Club, you must be 19 or over. You must have had your full driving licence for 1 year if under the age of 22. If you’re 22 and over, you can join as soon as you have a full licence. There are no upper age limits.

CoWheels says:
As long as you are over the age of 21, and have held a full driving licence for a minimum of 12 months, you are eligible to join Co Wheels.

Top Bottom