I know this has been discussed before but........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Enterprise says:
In order to join Enterprise Car Club, you must be 19 or over. You must have had your full driving licence for 1 year if under the age of 22. If you’re 22 and over, you can join as soon as you have a full licence. There are no upper age limits.

CoWheels says:
As long as you are over the age of 21, and have held a full driving licence for a minimum of 12 months, you are eligible to join Co Wheels.

So 21 for the latter.
the former seems to be 65p a mile if under 22…:ohmy: with no daily cap and can’t use the car between 10pm and 5am, can’t see that being favoured by many young drivers. Plus an enormous excess and not nationally available.
https://www.enterprisecarclub.co.uk/gb/en/programs/pricing-and-plans.html

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If young drivers are that much of a risk on the road then they shouldn't be allowed
If they weren't allowed to drive until 21 then the same problem would exist because they would still be new drivers with no experience. You could argue that they'd be more mature at 21 than at 17 but the risk in the underwriters' eyes would be similarly high

Alex321

Veteran
If they weren't allowed to drive until 21 then the same problem would exist because they would still be new drivers with no experience. You could argue that they'd be more mature at 21 than at 17 but the risk in the underwriters' eyes would be similarly high

No it wouldn't. It would be higher than it is currently for 21 year olds, due to the lack of experience, but the biggest reason for the high premiums isn't lack of experience, it is the recklessness of youth.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably still cheaper than a taxi and definitely a better deal than £2000 for the car plus £4000 for insurance.

Depends how many miles they do and how often. I guess many just want their own car to drive as and when they wish every day if wanted, without having to plan ahead to ensure a car is available locally, then go somewhere to pick a car up, monitor mileage, make sure it’s fuelled or charged, drop it off again, get home etc. Probably works well in urban settings, but then those are more likely to have public transport anyhow.
@gavroche where does your grandson live?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A woman on the supermarket checkout was telling me this evening that she's paying nearly a grand a month
year:whistle: to insure this brand new 'massive' hybrid Vauxhall 4x4!! And that's when it's kept in a heavily alarmed/locked garage overnight! She's about 40, by the way, so she's no young driver risk, spring chicken! 🧐

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
A woman on the supermarket checkout was telling me this evening that she's paying nearly a grand a month
year:whistle: to insure this brand new 'massive' hybrid Vauxhall 4x4!! And that's when it's garaged overnight! She's about 40, by the way, so she's no young driver risk, spring chicken! 🧐

grand a month or year, you’ve said both? I’m not surprised by the year if it’s a 70k car or whatever, especially if a plug in hybrid. A month would be ridiculous. 11 points on her license?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
By the time you get to my age it seems that very little of your insurance actually covers your driving, and the risks must nearly all be related to theft. My policy cost me about £375 for a year, but half way through the year I realised that I was heading for about 50% more mileage than I was covered for, and voluntarily extended my cover for a bigger estimated mileage. 50% more risk, you would think. The additional cost? £21.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Depends how many miles they do and how often. I guess many just want their own car to drive as and when they wish every day if wanted, without having to plan ahead to ensure a car is available locally, then go somewhere to pick a car up, monitor mileage, make sure it’s fuelled or charged, drop it off again, get home etc. Probably works well in urban settings, but then those are more likely to have public transport anyhow.
@gavroche where does your grandson live?

Anglesey

Chislenko

Veteran
It'll be a combination of age, postcode, student/job and the type of car he's driving.

Son no. 2 has my old Pug Tepee; 1.6 petrol, no frills. Comprehensive insurance without a black box was £1400 for him as a 17 year-old A-level student studying History (and Politics / Maths / Geography).

Did the subjects he was studying have a bearing on the price? Would it have been more expensive if he had been studying German & Woodwork?

mustang1

Legendary Member

Yes I was thinking that but the only thing for the slightly older drivers is that they are, well, slightly older/maturer.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've long held the view that insurers base their premiums not upon any genuinely identifiable risk, but rather upon the perceived ability and willingness of the  victim customer to pay.

i decently moved to a new house in a new street, and as yet there has been no autocrime on the street. None. Nada. I know this for sure as one of my new neighbours is a copper I know fairly well.

Yet the insurance premium on my little 2008 has gone up.

Even weirder, the insurance on my relatively high performance C70 T5 has gone down.

Even weirder, both cars are with the same insurer. What's that all about?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Did the subjects he was studying have a bearing on the price? Would it have been more expensive if he had been studying German & Woodwork?

Possibly. It was worth a try rather than putting Politics. I'm not sure any politician is trustworthy, but historians tend to be reliable boring types.

It was probably more about him having the car on the driveway, adding us as named drivers, etc but anything that might help was done.

Alex321

Veteran
I've long held the view that insurers base their premiums not upon any genuinely identifiable risk, but rather upon the perceived ability and willingness of the  victim customer to pay.

i decently moved to a new house in a new street, and as yet there has been no autocrime on the street. None. Nada. I know this for sure as one of my new neighbours is a copper I know fairly well.

Yet the insurance premium on my little 2008 has gone up.

Even weirder, the insurance on my relatively high performance C70 T5 has gone down.

Even weirder, both cars are with the same insurer. What's that all about?

I'm pretty sure their actuarial statistics don't go down to street level, but only down to the out code (First 4 characters of the postcode). And I think they take into account all types of crime.

And more importantly than just crime, they also take into account the general claim history of the area, including the vehicle demographics of those claims. So if your area has a lot of young drivers, making more claims in the low insurance group cars, premiums for those may go up, while higher spec cars may go down relative to other areas.

Top Bottom