I know this is nuts...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But I really want to build my own bike. Thing is...I'm crap at anything mechanical but am hoping that this might 'make the man' so to say. A friend at work is willing to sell me a Bianchi frame (Alu) for £75, Shimano R500 wheels for £25, Tiagra shifters and mechs (he said he doesn't want anything for these but I'd feel obliged but not sure how much they're worth). I also have tyres, tubes etc...I know I need sooo much more but it seems like a start. Money is really tight so would have to buy the rest of the things I need a month at a time over the next year.
I've researched a couple of past threads and many people say it's not worth building your own bike but not sure (financially) if I've got a choice if I'm going to have a second road bike.
Any thoughts?

If you are getting a Bianchi frame for £75 it sounds very worth it IMO, go for it :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 20519

Those all seem like good prices and even if you just sell them, you'll make a profit ;)

Wobblers

Euthermic
For the price your friend's wanting for the frame, I doubt you'd be able to get even a second hand decent road bike. Go for it! Just make sure that the frame is hasn't suffered any crash damage (misaligned dropouts, paint ripples, that sort of thing). Keep an eye on the classified section here and you should be able to pick up the rest of the components you need reasonably cheaply.

AndyRM

XOXO
Financially, it is definitely cheaper to build your own bike. The one I am currently building costs over a grand according to Ribble's bike builder. I'm using the same parts and I've spent £450.

Some things (headset and bottom bracket for me) are a pain in the arse, but with patience and research you'll get there.

Courage!

Sounds like it is something you want to do so why not? Imagine how much you will learn. :thumbsup:

I am starting a build in a month or so also. Just in time for the good slightly warmer weather in Scotland.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Thanks everyone,
The guy at work has a whole stable of bikes (and I mean one of everything) and is really keen to get others into the sport (he's selling his other Bianchi carbon - full set up - to another colleague for £350 cos she hasn't got a road bike and it's not up to his standard!!!). He's an ex racer and has been everywhere and done all of the 'I wish' rides...thing is he's a really nice bloke and doesn't brag about any of the stuff...Only problem will be not relying on him to put it together as I really do want to know how everything goes together!

Building a bike is pretty straightforward so don't let that put you off.

As for is it financially viable to build one like for like cheaper than buying a complete one its very unlikely.

£75 sounds great but aluminium road bikes are very cheap now due to carbon being so in vogue. If finances are tight then to be honest I wouldn't do it. Just by having a quick look through forums eg bikeradar etc and ebay you'll soon see what bargains there are on complete bikes out there.

Good luck with it!

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
No, it isn't. I have knocked £500 off the cost of a complete purchase. A friend of mine has knocked nearly £2k off the cost of his.
Wow...was hoping to get a decent bike for not a lot of money!!! Wishful thinking, I know. 2 difficulties...part of it is trying to know more about how bikes are put together...other is not being able to put up the money for a full build and am not the person to save every month until I can (see my viewing stats on the 'Found a bargain' forum!!!). Was hoping that by buying a component or two every month I'd satisfy my buying need and get to know the mechanical side...
Pipe dream???

No, it isn't. I have knocked £500 off the cost of a complete purchase. A friend of mine has knocked nearly £2k off the cost of his.

To be honest that figure represents just over a 50% saving from what you've quoted further up the thread. That sort of saving is reliably achievable by buying bikes from a year or two previously from large retailers such as CRC etc. I bought a 2011 mtb from them this summer for £1350 and the equivalent bike for 2013 retails at £3199.

If you've not got a good background in maintaining bikes then building one from scratch specifically to save money is usually a recipe for disaster. So far the cost is £100 (wheels and frame, shifters) factor in fork, headset, cables, brakes, drivechain, bars, tape, stem, seatpost, saddle, tools etc and the costs start spiralling. You've only got to take a quick look through ebay, bikeradar, pinkbike, gumtree etc and you can pick up a decent bike for 2-300 quid.

My advice would be buy secondhand and learn how to maintain it as you go if you want to save money.

I had thought it was more about "making the man' as the OP stated above. Something to be proud of.

If you do not have a bike at all and want to start asap then some keen eyes looking for a 2011 model or similar is the way to go.
If it is about you building a bike you can be proud of and learn from, then build is the ONLY way to go.

Top Bottom