I know this is nuts...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
On the other hand, it is very satisfying to know that the bike you are riding has been put together by yourself. Maintenance is no problem in the future, because you know the bike intimately, and some prudent buying of components will keep the costs down. I'm currently building up a new titanium frame and I'll have a bike that's higher spec and a lot cheaper than the equivalent full bike from the manufacturer.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
On the other hand, it is very satisfying to know that the bike you are riding has been put together by yourself. Maintenance is no problem in the future, because you know the bike intimately, and some prudent buying of components will keep the costs down. I'm currently building up a new titanium frame and I'll have a bike that's higher spec and a lot cheaper than the equivalent full bike from the manufacturer.
This is it exactly...although I was hoping to bag a bargain on the way...(thanks Pedro as well as you got the gist of what I want to do)

gbb

Legendary Member
To be honest that figure represents just over a 50% saving from what you've quoted further up the thread. That sort of saving is reliably achievable by buying bikes from a year or two previously from large retailers such as CRC etc. I bought a 2011 mtb from them this summer for £1350 and the equivalent bike for 2013 retails at £3199.

If you've not got a good background in maintaining bikes then building one from scratch specifically to save money is usually a recipe for disaster. So far the cost is £100 (wheels and frame, shifters) factor in fork, headset, cables, brakes, drivechain, bars, tape, stem, seatpost, saddle, tools etc and the costs start spiralling. You've only got to take a quick look through ebay, bikeradar, pinkbike, gumtree etc and you can pick up a decent bike for 2-300 quid.

My advice would be buy secondhand and learn how to maintain it as you go if you want to save money.
While self building is achieveable, there's a lot of common sense and previously untouched points above.
First thing i thought reading OPs opening post was, crankset, fork, brakes etc etc etc ? are any of these parts included ? Sourcing them all adds up, i know, ive done it and while you can save money, it doesnt come cheap.
Do the shifter come with cables and outers ?...not cheap items.
Brake calipers, perhaps £15 to £20 second hand.
I assume forks are included.
Crankset, BB, seatpost, saddle, handlebars, tape, stem, even little stuff like downtube adjusters, you really need to know whats is, or isnt included to know whether its a financially sensible project.

Put it this way, i was selling my Via Nirone C2C Xenon last year, new wheels (albeit budget Rodis), new tyres and innertubes, new bartape, newish rear hanger, upgraded BB, a well used but well maintained commuter for £230. I wasnt overun with buyers which tells me it was too expensive or perhaps the wrong time of year.

Not trying to put you off, rather letting you know the hidden costs.

400bhp

Guru
Financially, it is definitely cheaper to build your own bike. The one I am currently building costs over a grand according to Ribble's bike builder. I'm using the same parts and I've spent £450.

Some things (headset and bottom bracket for me) are a pain in the arse, but with patience and research you'll get there.

Courage!

That doesn't sound believable.

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
I've built myself two new bikes over the last 18 months, for me it's more about the process than the money saving, i've just taken on a full restoration as my next project.
I'm a car mechanic by trade and there are a few simple rules

Study the Sheldon Brown website....it's an absolute goldmine of information.

Watch pro mechanics video's on youtube, apart from the annoying american accent they're very helpful and easy to understand.

Take things SLOWLY, try and understand how things work as you put them together.

NEVER overtighten an alloy thread.....it's so easy to strip the threads......buy a cheap torque wrench (about £10-£15) you'll find a lot of modern components have the torques printed onto them.

Whenever you're inserting/bolting alloy to alloy, steel to steel or any combination of those metals use a generous amount of good quality grease....this will save so much heartache 5 years down the road.

Hope this helps....ENJOY^_^

PS...BEWARE...it's VERY addictive, but you get soooooo much enjoyment from riding a self build. ^_^

Night Train

Maker of Things
You could start pricing up all the parts, and tools, you are likely to need to get a ball park figure on how much it will all cost. Then you can decide if the cost is acceptable to you, spread over the months of saving for each of the parts you want.

If it seems acceptable then that is fine, regardless of how much more or less then it might cost compared to getting a complete bike.
Don't forget that part of what you are paying for is the opportunity to learn a lot about how bikes work, and the skills to strip and build one. That has to be worth a lot in anyone's book.

I first started building bikes when I was about 10 years old, that was some 36 years ago. It isn't that complicated with help and advice on what to get and what is compatible with what you have and want.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Bit of a head fxxk to be fair! The idea of building a bike is paramount. Been annoying myself for ages now as things go wrong and can kind of see how to sort it out but too nervous to!!! Think if I build one then it should make more sense. Can't actually afford anything more at the moment anyway and this might keep me busy! However, also can't afford to waste money, so if this is destined to fail, I need to know now!

Well no one has said you can't actually build it so that's good!

I've no idea what your budget it and what you want to finish with (and when)

Have a look around the classifieds and see what you could get for 100,200,300 quid etc complete and find a bike that you are happy with. Then do the same with parts and see if you can come close to matching it. This would probably give you your answer as to how to proceed.

This advice is based on the fact you want to limit your budget to X...

Cubist

Still wavin'
Bit of a head fxxk to be fair! The idea of building a bike is paramount. Been annoying myself for ages now as things go wrong and can kind of see how to sort it out but too nervous to!!! Think if I build one then it should make more sense. Can't actually afford anything more at the moment anyway and this might keep me busy! However, also can't afford to waste money, so if this is destined to fail, I need to know now!
No, it's not destined to fail, but make sure yu do your research properly. I've built three now, and have sourced used parts very very thriftily. I've bought new where economics demand, or the part sells on fleabag for 80% of what I can get it for online. Big money pits are parts that aren't compatible so check and double check things like bottom brackets and headsets, front mechs and seat posts.
Buy tools with an amount of circumspection. Don't be tempted by big toolkits, because half of the stuff is unnecessary or for stuff you don't own. A basic kit if you want to build and service would be a y shape Allen key, 4,5,6 mm. A crank tool for square taper if you have it, and a bottom bracket socket depending on type. A chain whip and lockring tool, a cable cutter and a decent pair of pliers. A small cross head screwdriver for mech adjusting, and a grease gun. A range of small spanners, 7,8,9 and 10 mm a chain splitter and that should be about it. Search wiggle, chain reaction on one and superstar components for Cyclo, Park Tools, Ice Toolz and BBB.

Above all enjoy. It's extremely rewarding. You may save a bob or two. You may not.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
It's eminently possible to build a bike up from "spare" parts very cheaply...... IF you're not unduly worried about timescale. Keep hovering round e-bay and the for-sale section here and eventually Mac B will dispose of the parts you need at a rock bottom price :smile:

The killer is impatience. If you're prepared to wait you can find ridiculous bargains, but they dont come allong often, and you have to have an element of luck. I've spend 18 months building up a fixed on a budget of the square root of bugger all, so far it's cost me the princely sum of £12 (admitedly I already have the required tools). Still needs a set of handle bars and a seat post, but I have no doubt these will turn up eventually.

PS - if anyone has a spare set of drops, or an un-wanted seat post let me know :smile:

lulubel

Über Member
Only problem will be not relying on him to put it together as I really do want to know how everything goes together!

From this comment, I'm guessing he's a decent bike mechanic too, which suggests he's got the proper tools for doing the work. The proper tools can be quite expensive, especially if you're on a tight budget, so even if you don't ask him for help with building it, I'd ask him if you can borrow his tools!

AndyRM

XOXO
That doesn't sound believable.

Frame, chainset, stem, bars, 'guards, seatpost, saddle - £100
Fork, derailleurs, chain - £180
Wheels - £100
Shifters & tape - £60

All new, other than the frame stuff, which might as well be, save a couple of tiny marks. Centaur groupset.

Actually I've also had to spend £20 on a couple of tools, so £460 all in.

400bhp

Guru
You
Frame, chainset, stem, bars, 'guards, seatpost, saddle - £100
Fork, derailleurs, chain - £180
Wheels - £100
Shifters & tape - £60

All new, other than the frame stuff, which might as well be, save a couple of tiny marks. Centaur groupset.

Actually I've also had to spend £20 on a couple of tools, so £460 all in.

Well, it's not comparing like for like is it!!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
From this comment, I'm guessing he's a decent bike mechanic too, which suggests he's got the proper tools for doing the work. The proper tools can be quite expensive, especially if you're on a tight budget, so even if you don't ask him for help with building it, I'd ask him if you can borrow his tools!
Thanks for all the replies everyone...I never really factored in the cost of tools...was hoping the adjustable spanner and hammer might be all I need!!! :whistle:
You're beginning to see why I need this project more and more!

Top Bottom