I like Blade Runner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Watched it last night. Some parts have dated - CRT tv screens, paper photographs but then it was made in 1982. To think it's set in 2019 - where's my frickin' flying car!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
This, I think, is where a lot of folk go wrong. Bollocks to what anyone else thinks, if you think it's "OK" you don't need to justify yourself to those who think it's incredible.

I think it's more the horrified reaction when you admit to having seen it, possibly more than once, and not thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread. You don't have to say it was bad, or dark and rainy, just nothing special.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Clueless - Blade Runner is ok but hardly worthy of the praise it gets smothered with - The Fifth Element is vastly under rated, great film.

You're half right. Both are in their way brilliant. Blade Runner is pretty much perfect and actually quite deep. Whilst I've not yet read the short story - it's on my shelf - it does clearly have a phildickian (and yes, that is a word apparently) feel about reality and what it is to be human. Looks fantastic too. Ridley's latest films also look good but are rather stupid in comparison.

Fifth Element is in comparison a lightweight film in terms of meaning and ambition, quite silly really, yet it is immensly entertaining and a joy to watch, and perfectly crafted. At the risk of being (only slightly) pretentious, I gather Luc--B was an exponent of "cinema du look" - and doesn't it look great.

I enjoyed Valerian too but it's not in the same league as 5th element.

Last edited:

potsy

Rambler
Blade Runner was a decent but not earth shattering film, and I'm a fan of both HF and sci-fi in general.

The Fifth Element wins hands down though , ridiculously silly ^_^

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Gonna have to convince mrs ck to let me go to the flics and it seems @jefmcg has excellent taste in movies in general .

As for the age gap thing it seemed to work for a very famous couple .

One of my favourite films. On a par with Cassablanca even, and pretty much the same story. The sexiest scenes ever filmed - you can tell they're not acting either.

"you know how to whistle don't you?"

Adam4868

Guru
I went to watch the new Bladerunner last week with my 14 year old son and girlfriend.I loved it,as for son "it was allright but what was it on about ?"

Top Bottom