I like Blade Runner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Blade Runner - Classic at every level

The soundtrack alone is worth watching it for

Clueless - Blade Runner is ok but hardly worthy of the praise it gets smothered with - The Fifth Element is vastly under rated, great film.
I'll need to go and watch Blade Runner, just in case I am still thinking about a different film. But The Fifth Element was dross.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'll need to go and watch Blade Runner, just in case I am still thinking about a different film. But The Fifth Element was dross.

Nah. my kids loved T5E and it was just an all round enjoyable watch, not deep or meaningful just fun.

Blade Runner I've seen twice, once many years ago and not very memorable then a second time a few years back due to all the hype...still a meh film. Some good scenes but all this meaning of life guff attached to it is a bit of a stretch. Not so much reading between the lines/scenes as watching an entirely different movie inside your own head.

But hey, I'm officially clueless, I thought Mad Max Fury Road was a pile of dross pretending to be something meaningful as well.

Adam4868

Guru
Ive probally a more nostalgic memory of going to see it as a 14/15 year old,wagging school with some mates and buying 10 jps to chain smoke watching it one afternoon.I dont remember it being such a big thing then,probally only 10 of us in the whole cinema ! Still stuck with me for some reason,re watching i sort of think its more for the cinematography and music.Ill keep a open mind for the new one.

MacB

Oh and Ridley Scott needs stringing up for wrecking the Alien franchise while still trying to say something meaningful.

Nah. my kids loved T5E and it was just an all round enjoyable watch, not deep or meaningful just fun.

Blade Runner I've seen twice, once many years ago and not very memorable then a second time a few years back due to all the hype...still a meh film. Some good scenes but all this meaning of life guff attached to it is a bit of a stretch. Not so much reading between the lines/scenes as watching an entirely different movie inside your own head.

But hey, I'm officially clueless, I thought Mad Max Fury Road was a pile of dross pretending to be something meaningful as well.
OK, moderators, don't close it yet :smile:

This is the sort of thing I wanted. (Obviously you are wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong)

I'm nearly the opposite. I thought T5E was bright, watchable but immensely stupid movie, back up by the fact that - as I recall - Besson based it on a script he wrote when he was 14. That's how it plays. Charming, and I wish I could fulfil one of 14-year-old @jefmcg's secret wishes**

But towards the end of the movie, it took a turn for the creepy. The physical relationship between Milla and Bruce really creeped me out. I just checked and she is 20 years younger than him, and they were circa 21 & 41. But she was an adolescent looking 21 and he was a decrepit 41. It was very Humbert Humbert. But in the context of the film, she was a literal infant. It destroyed the film for me.

Mind you, Besson has previous form.

**But not the ones involving Peter O'Toole.

MacB

But towards the end of the movie, it took a turn for the creepy. The physical relationship between Milla and Bruce really creeped me out. I just checked and she is 20 years younger than him, and they were circa 21 & 41. But she was an adolescent looking 21 and he was a decrepit 41.

Fair comment on the age disparity but I'm afraid that it's so common place in movies that if I allowed that to sour the whole film there's a heck of a lot I could never watch.

That said the ending was weak in general but maybe I enjoyed the film so much because expectations were so low going in, I remember being quite surprised.

Thought the original was a great film, also found the book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?) interesting.

Hard to respond to this, because the answer in my head was "Yes, I agree. I love Dick" - really.

Obviously I can't post that on CC.

Edit: "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale". I want to be at the meeting that decided "Total Recall" was a bette name, and punch everyone in the face.

Top Bottom