i like driving in my car...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crosstrailer

I'm all for a little more understanding between different road users, and whilst I completely agree it is good to thank courteous drivers, (and I do frequently), a couple of things irk me slightly on this. The first is mentioned above, that good drivers are after all simply doing what is required of them in the Highway Code. Sometimes it feels a little daft thanking someone for simply not killing me! And secondly, I recall reading somewhere that over 75 % of all UK car journeys are under 2 miles* in length. So I feel slightly uneasy doffing my cap to frankly, lazy bar stewards who insist on dragging a couple of tons of ugly tin can about with them on what are often absurdly short trips.

*Edit- just looked it up - it's in fact 70% less than 5 miles. Data from UCL Transport folks. Still only a 20-30 minute ride.

Sweeping generalisations abound..........

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
That's the case for many these days. I remember when a lot of driving, even in large towns was enjoyable, for me it ended in the early 90s, now I too regard driving as a necessary evil.

I don't think driving is but I think the way society seems to have changed for the worse is.
ie this police officer thing.I dont want to seem to disrespectful here but it just alarms me how low people will go now.The driving isn't improving either due to public attitude.

Oh yeah,neither is the cycling.

byegad

Legendary Member
Good point Miqel about social attitudes.

However...

Driving standards are certainly lower especially in the courtesy area. When I started using the road people signalled their intentions and by that I mean pretty much everyone, all of the time. These days hardly anyone signals, certainly those that consistently signal are in the minority.

Last night, driving through Durham I followed a car through 3 roundabouts and two junctions where he and I didn't take the 'straight on' option. Not a single flash of the indicators on his car did I see. I overtook him on a stretch of dual carriageway just outside Durham and he only had his side lights on! This at 10.20 last night.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Setting aside my own views on drivers, the UCL data suggests that 3 out of 4 drivers are undertaking journeys that could easily be done by bike. Leaving aside the proportion of elderly and disabled of course, it still suggests a high proportion of able people choose to drive ridiculously short journeys. That can't be good for anyone. Some of my neighbours drive their kids 500 yds to school. It's just nuts.

Top Bottom