i like driving in my car...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
I don't expect thanks from anyone for driving safely, and certainly not from a cyclist for passing correctly.

There are certainly plenty of unsafe road users - of all types, but it's the motorised ones who have the potential to kill other people.

I've never enjoyed driving, just find it a necessary chore, rather like washing up or ironing or mowing lawns. Riding a bike is the opposite, and I'll do it whenever I have an excuse or opportunity. Nonetheless I do try to do both safely and considerately.

SomethingLikeThat

Über Member
I feel like if I put my hand up to say thanks after a good pass the driver will realise it is the right thing to do and do the same to the next cyclist.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I don't commute, just cycle on country roads for pleasure. As such, some of the roads can be a bit twisty and cars coming up behind me can't always overtake if there is a bend coming up. The vast majority are great and hold back and, as I can see the road ahead sooner than they can, if it is clear I usually wave them through to avoid holding them up any longer than necessary. Most appreciate it and will often give a wave or a flash of their left indicator. I usually try and acknowledge particularly mannerly driving too. Always think it may stick in their mind for the next cyclist they meet.

It's nice to be nice :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

A bit of common courtesy and interaction with those around you makes for a more pleasant journey. Approaching some parked cars yesterday the girl in the silver car behind me hung back and gave me room to pass them , in response I waved her through once I was past, we exchanged thank you waves and went our separate ways. Much more pleasant than tonight when the driver was coming past regardless, despite my clear hand signal and an on coming car, he ended up forcing the oncoming driver to brake.

I am a naturally polite and even-tempered sort of bloke and look on it as my duty to be a cycling ambassador by portraying cyclists in a positive light.
Gives me a warm and fluffy rosy glow in return.:angel:

I give a thumbs up to drivers who show restraint at cyclist culling points... sorry, traffic islands. But when I'm driving I don't expect cyclists to thank me, even though it's nice if it happens.
I'd rather be the driver that the cyclists don't remember, because they've had no cause to worry about or curse me :angel:

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
as much as i very much enjoy my bikes :rolleyes:

some of the things i notice about other cyclists while driving: so many of them hug the kerb/as close as they can get to the nearside, that it makes me worry for them / very few shoulder checks, if any / some are hi-vis'd up to the eyeballs, some are ninjas / NONE of them have offered a token wave/finger wiggle/thumbs up, after i've given them the widest berth i possibly can...this irks me because i always try to make the effort. even a little nod of the head would be nice :angry:

I think you are right and I think this is my problem,although don't ride so far into the gutter as some cyclists,I had three close passes today but none as bad as that 60mph pass crap.

I blame myself in the way I could have probably have prevented two of them,yes.I have it on camera but haven't looked at it yet(Im not in the mood and I don't have pleasant feelings towards the van driver at Mile End).Im working on different tactics for every aspect of my riding.I.E it's no longer the most important thing to get to the front at the lights and I will strategically place myself amongst the traffic while waiting for the lights to change.I normally put my hand up as thanks and sometimes thumb up or normally some sort of wave like im swatting a fly if im dis pleasured.I like considerate motorists..

I tend to let the bus in front at lights also as I can draught and prefer buses in front of me as opposed to up my 'arris.I also let them through pinch points.I reckon some may get to know me on the Elephant and Castle route.

NONE of them have offered a token wave/finger wiggle/thumbs up, after i've given them the widest berth i possibly can...this irks me because i always try to make the effort. even a little nod of the head would be nice :angry:

In my case you are now ignored as I have registered you as safe, and am now prioritising looking for the next hazard

G2EWS

I drive a lot of miles and used to average 1,000 per week. A bit less now.

Being courteous is, in my opinion very important. But like has been mentioned before, even on my short, very quiet to some of your commutes ride, I raised my hand to thank everyone who drove well, my hand would be off the handlebars more than on.

I am particularly mindful and respectful when on the bike, to those, like a lorry driver on my first week, who hung back for about a 1/4 of a mile as it was too dangerous for him to get past me. I indicated I was turning left quite a bit before the junction to let him know he did not have long to wait, then waved a thank you.

As I continue on my journey I end up with a section were there has to be single file traffic due to parked cars. Unless a large/wide vehicle is coming the other way, I continue to cycle, nodding and mouthing thank you to every vehicle driver coming the other way.

Regards

Chris

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
We get around seventy years (give or take) to glide or struggle through this life. A little courtesy and a few smiles along the way might make it a more enjoyable (or tolerable) seventy years for those who think they shouldn't have to thank people for doing what the HC says they should

So true, I always nod, wave, point and smile when on the road. I like the car as well it has its uses for going places with the family. Other than that its the bike.

byegad

Legendary Member
...edit...I've never enjoyed driving, just find it a necessary chore, rather like washing up or ironing or mowing lawns. Riding a bike is the opposite, and I'll do it whenever I have an excuse or opportunity. Nonetheless I do try to do both safely and considerately.

That's the case for many these days. I remember when a lot of driving, even in large towns was enjoyable, for me it ended in the early 90s, now I too regard driving as a necessary evil.

hoski

Veteran
ooh, and i hope you're fully recovered of course - i trust the po-po are going to/have taken action against the tool that risked your life?

yes, i'm aware i used the term, 'po-po', i'm down with the kids...i'm even amused when they refer to their cars as, 'me skate' ^_^

Pretty much recovered. I was lucky, just a cut on the back of my head and an almost entirely skinless arse. A police car was passing a minute or two after I was hit, apparently he's getting careless driving, a fine and a course. Not sure if it's enough really but I don't think I can face taking it further.

When I was collecting my bike from the police station there as a kid in front of me checking into the station. His phone rang and he answered it by saying, "I'm down the fed station, wagwan?". I nearly pissed myself laughing.

I disagree, i think both points are wrong.

Everyone deserves praise for making an effort, cycling about the place assuming its our right to have an effort made for us is arrogant...and wrong.

I do generally think you're right, my comment was intended to be a little tongue in cheek. I do try and say thank you to drivers who make the effort. There's a point where I have to change lane to the left after leaving (a huge) roundabout, where the left lane is an uninterrupted slip road off a dual-carriageway. I *always* thank drivers who slow and let me move across. It's a crap road and it's not any one driver's fault. I would say that it is the collective responsibility of motorists however, but that might be a different discussion...

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I would say that it is the collective responsibility of motorists however, but that might be a different discussion...

Oh, for sure, (see post 28 in this thread). Although we all have a part to play, taking responsibility for a ton or so of metal propelled by hundreds of horsepower at the touch of a pedal...requires just that...i.e responsibility.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm all for a little more understanding between different road users, and whilst I completely agree it is good to thank courteous drivers, (and I do frequently), a couple of things irk me slightly on this. The first is mentioned above, that good drivers are after all simply doing what is required of them in the Highway Code. Sometimes it feels a little daft thanking someone for simply not killing me! And secondly, I recall reading somewhere that over 75 % of all UK car journeys are under 2 miles* in length. So I feel slightly uneasy doffing my cap to frankly, lazy bar stewards who insist on dragging a couple of tons of ugly tin can about with them on what are often absurdly short trips.

*Edit- just looked it up - it's in fact 70% less than 5 miles. Data from UCL Transport folks. Still only a 20-30 minute ride.

al78

Guru
I'm all for a little more understanding between different road users, and whilst I completely agree it is good to thank courteous drivers, (and I do frequently), a couple of things irk me slightly on this. The first is mentioned above, that good drivers are after all simply doing what is required of them in the Highway Code. Sometimes it feels a little daft thanking someone for simply not killing me! And secondly, I recall reading somewhere that over 75 % of all UK car journeys are under 2 miles* in length. So I feel slightly uneasy doffing my cap to frankly, lazy bar stewards who insist on dragging a couple of tons of ugly tin can about with them on what are often absurdly short trips.

*Edit- just looked it up - it's in fact 70% less than 5 miles. Data from UCL Transport folks. Still only a 20-30 minute ride.

It is not really a desirable trait to be so judgemental. After all, you know nothing about any one of those individuals or their circumstances.

As the saying goes: "Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes".

Top Bottom