i like driving in my car...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I've always wondered why I should thank drivers for doing what the Highway Code says they should be doing anyway. I don't thank people who stop at red lights so I can walk across a pedestrian crossing...

Having said that, I do put a hand up to wave my thanks at the really good overtakers if I can. I think it helps the people following see what they need to be doing!
See I do thank people for letting me cross at crossings.

Maybe I'm just too nice!

davefb

Guru
I tend to give the same signal on the bike , that I often do when driving,, lifting my fingers to show the palm from either the steering wheel or the handlebars!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It can feel a little odd to find myself thanking a driver for not endangering me but road use is a social activity and a little hand signal is part of that social parcel for me - cars don't drive, people do. And I've found that it's often appreciated even when I've done nothing more than pre-empt a dangerous pass.

Personally, living in London, I hate driving. Cyclists make me jealous.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I was only thinking about this very thing this morning as I rode to work, (the courtesy thing not the driving a car thing) and it struck me that I cannot remember ever having been thanked by a cyclist when I've overtaken them, even if I've hung back from them a while beforehand. I wondered whether this irked me and decided it didn't particularly, as has been pointed out should I necessarily expect to be thanked for driving in a proper fashion.
Then I thought about my own actions, I quite often raise a hand to cars which give me a nice wide overtake, or that have sat behind me for a little while and I wondered whether they realised why I was doing it. When I'm driving if I commit a minor transgression I will raise my hand in apology to the driver I may have inconvenienced in some way in much the same fashion as my thank you gesture for a polite and patient overtake and it struck me that there's a resonable possibility that the drivers I've acknowledging for their thoughtfulness may, if they are not cyclists, assume that I am apologising for having held them up, not thanking them, after all they are only doing what they should be doing.
So then I wondered whether I should acknowledge a good overtake or not, and I haven't decided yet :wacko:

If possible, since becoming a 'cyclist' , I will pass a bike as if it where a 6' wide car, ie in the oncoming carriageway.

As for driving in this country I have given up, traded the nice cars for 'white goods' the last decent car I had did 10,000 miles in 2 years and 7,500 of those where done in just over 3 weeks touring abroad, :cry:

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
I tend to give the same signal on the bike , that I often do when driving,, lifting my fingers to show the palm from either the steering wheel or the handlebars!

on my hybrid, i do the same. on my roadie, i'll lift my hand...similarly i will sit up (if it's safe to do so) and applaud spectacularly crap driving.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I sometimes think this when I'm driving but I then remember that I don't actually deserve praise for driving safely.

And when I'm cycling it's mostly on my fairly busy commute so there's no way I can thank everyone who doesn't drive like a tw@t. Also, after being overtaken and left-hooked by a non-indicating car, going over the bonnet, hitting the back of my head and having an exciting ambulance/A&E adventure, I now hate all motorists regardless.
these are excellent points and well made...i should perhaps keep that in mind while riding :thumbsup:

I disagree, i think both points are wrong.

Everyone deserves praise for making an effort, cycling about the place assuming its our right to have an effort made for us is arrogant...and wrong.

look at the negative effect it makes to those of us on this very thread (cyclists) who drive and now realise they dont get thanks for making an effort.

When I drive the car, I thank drivers who let me through a gap (even if the highway code says they should) Why should i stop being courteous when I'm on the bike?

And yes, in my opinion you can...and should thank everyone who makes an effort. Granted I wouldn't thank everyone who doesn't drive like a twat because that is about all the drivers on the road today. Perhaps that's the distinction.

byegad

Legendary Member
I must admit it never occured to me that drivers would be a bit irked by that. I'll try and remember to show my appreciation to drivers in future when they give me a good pass :smile:

I try to acknowledge any driver's consideration, however slight as this is an encouragement to that driver and others who witness the the consideration. As a general policy if we all did this standards of driving might go up.

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
I try to acknowledge any driver's consideration, however slight as this is an encouragement to that driver and others who witness the the consideration. As a general policy if we all did this standards of driving might go up.

i guess that's the point - i do it because a) i'm a happy soul when out on the bike, and b) exactly what you said...maybe, just maybe another driver will see my pleasant response to considerate driving and think, 'so that's how you do it'. :unsure:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
on a related note.

I drove to work a week ago for the first time in 6 months (and for the second in probably a year).

I used to drive every day, in and out of town, across and around...I drove a lot.

Nowadays, I notice just how much "work" driving in town, in the rush hour, really is. Not because of congestion and the pain of heavy traffic but because the city streets are much busier than I ever recall. You really need to have your wits about you, your observation needs constant attention and your mind cannot stray. Cyclists (not all of us are as aware as we could be) move about in multiple directions at all times, they drop into your vision and out again in a flash and are so easily confused with one another. the only way to drive is to really make an effort to maintain awareness.

Now, either I'm a better, more aware driver because of becomming a motorcyclist and cyclist in the last 5 years...or the city streets really are a lot busier.

Either way, it needs to be made clear to all motorists that the city streets have no place for complacency. Like it or lump it, drivers need to accept that motorbikes and cyclists all have different approaches to traffic and will move about in many different ways. there is no unified theory of approaching individual items of traffic (do you hang back, do you move out...how far do you move out, do you hold primary, sit in the gutter) and even worse, the rules that are in place are often flouted (pavements hops red lights one ways etc).

So, the thought I had (and I guess have had for a while now) is its as much our responsibility, as the cyclist, to remain predictable and clear. We cant argue highway code from the back of the ambulance.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't think the streets are busier. There are certainly more cyclists around but my daily car commute has become easier in the last two years as the motorway is no longer chokka at the same old pinch points.

byegad

Legendary Member
I started riding on the road in the 1960s passing my Cycling Proficiency early in the decade and passing my car and motorcycle tests in 1969 as well as passing the RAC/ACU Motorcycle Training scheme and competing in Road Safety motorcycle events. In the 1970s I trained to be a driving instructor.

It is a fact that there are far more motor traffic around today than any time in history. My perception is that the average standard of driving of all motor vehicles has gone down, particularly that of professional drivers. While there remains a lot of good drivers out there, I feel there are more bad ones, as a percentage, than at any other time since I started using the roads.

That said British roads are still remarkably safe for all users when compared to other countries, but being better than some is not good enough. In particular I think repeat offenders of all kinds need intensive training before being allowed out on there own. Too often they get fined and carry on as before, being a danger to everyone else.

Top Bottom