I love cycling in winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yes, I do! ;)

1. Crisp, clear mornings with the sun just coming up as you get into work;
2. The sound of bike tyres on frost;
3. The cold refreshing air on my face;
4. Relishing the extra challenges that cold, ice and snow bring to bike handling (makes the commute a lot more interesting).

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Flying_Monkey said:
Yes, I do! :blush:

4. Relishing the extra challenges that cold, ice and snow bring to bike handling (makes the commute a lot more interesting).

So do I - although yesterday was a very unfortunate one that blunted my enjoyment of the ride in somewhat ;)

Never had any problems last winter though, so I'm putting yesterday's conditions down to fluke weather.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Flying_Monkey said:
Yes, I do! ;)

5. I have the changing room at work all to myself.

goo_mason

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
How are you feeling today goo? Are you on an ibuprofen drip??

I feel like I've been danced on by a squad of sumo wrestlers wearing steel-toecapped boots. And - annoyingly - people at work keep assuming I've been put off and I've hung up the bike for winter because I got the bus today, which was always my plan as I'm going straight to the dentist from work and wouldn't want to lie on his chair in sweaty cyclewear !

As soon as the new rear derailleur and the other bits and bobs are here, they'll be put on and I'll be out cycling again (though not to work as I'm finishing up on Friday until the 7th January).

Still Jan - April to go for the best of the crisp, cold cycling weather though ;)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Hey Goo,

Somedays are just like that, glad to hear you're not too disheartened.
Did you ride in today?

T x

Road Fiddler

I enjoy cycling on the winter mornings, although last week cycling against a 30mph wind with driving rain was not much fun mainly because its hard to dry my kit out at work.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I love cycling except in 40mph headwinds.
Still need to make mudguards for the KMX as without them riding the trike in rain is like playing a round of 'It's A Knockout!' with the Belgian team putting you off by throwing buckets of water at you!!

T x

Wolf04

Yes I love winter cycling too. I've come off a few times, twice in one day is my best so nowhere near Goo's record (ouch). Nearly went down this morning on thick frost and ice, managed to get my foot down and avoid the fall but then couldn't get going again as my rear wheel was spinning like a demented spinning thing, had to do the duck waddle for twenty yards to get to a non frozen section.. My only real concern are motorists who lose it on ice when I'm in their vicinity.
Pete:smile:;)

goo_mason

tdr1nka said:
Hey Goo,

Somedays are just like that, glad to hear you're not too disheartened.
Did you ride in today?

T x

Cheers T.

Not today; as mentioned earlier I've got the dentist after work so not enough time to get home, showered, changed and back even if the bike was in good working order.

I've got the fun of gittering about putting the new parts on when they come though. I'm weird in that I enjoying playing at being a bike mechanic now after being given the confidence and know-how on an EBC Intensive Maintenance Course back in Feb !

Tynan

Veteran
no problems here other than windier conditions when it happens

rain day after day can wear a fellow down too

rain when it's very cold not nice

a few times a week I ride 12 miles home between 9 and 10pm and the spirits can be a tad lower and fragile then after two cycles and a full day's work plus evening classes earlier in the day

Top Bottom