I love helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Ha ha, I love the way he just stands up and starts shouting it.
Do you think he's fallen like that before?:laugh:

young Ed

Veteran
was that 2 bits of his helmet that broke off? got a feeling his helmet did actually help here
Cheers Ed

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I am not one to tell people what to wear on a bike. I have Four helmets and almost never wear them. But having seen this, I think I will start to. Not on a bike but you will get the idea.

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b9yL5usLFgY

I'm still trying to work out why someone who hardly wears helmets owns four of them?:scratch:

I'm still trying to work out why someone who hardly wears helmets owns four of them?:scratch:

Why not...

I would not dream of wearing a time trial helmet on the Christiania cargo trike, equally a pudding bowl would look out of place on the racing bikes

Horses for courses

ha, risky move that. if you ever try that on a snowboard and get it wrong you'll definitely want to be wearing a helmet

Wobblers

Euthermic
As requested... though I'm an interfacial scientist rather than just your standard run of the mill materials scientist Thank You Very Much.

I invite you, @young Ed, (ha! I can even say that and not sound patronising, for a change! :smile:) to compare the relative hardness of two small bits of plastic to that of bone. From the clip, it is obvious that his back took the brunt of the fall rather than his helmet or head. No broken spine, no broken ribs, no pneumothorax. And his back didn't even have a helmet! I've done rather similar to myself in the past, without ill effects or brain damage [1] - all without the benefit of a helmet. Your skull is tougher than most people realise, thanks to half a billion years of evolution. Your neck, though, is not. It, as a structure, has only been around to support a heavy head for less than a million years. It does not seem wise to transfer impact loads from a strong skull to weak neck vertebrata.

[1] Others may disagree on this issue

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom