I love helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
The problem is while a roll cage prevents total survival space collapse in major impacts, e.g. getting crushed, it does reduce the survival space. This means when the world is spinning around at silly velocities your head is more likely to come into contact with a rather hard bit of metal. A helmet will help absorb these impacts. I'm not entirely convinced that in modern cars a crash helmet would actually do any good because the main cause of helmet strikes in a motorsport vehicle isn't present.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Is there any point anyone wearing a helmet for anything?

I mean most soldiers whom are injured don't get shot in the head so why bother wearing one?

Horse riders are another bunch who rarely seem to land on their heads when they fall off

Rally car drivers? They have roll cages and metal roofs protecting them so why do they wear them

They all seem utterly pointless

All these are rather different to cycling, so any comparison will at best be of very limited use. In particular, a soldier's helmet, designed to resist high speed shrapnel serves a vastly different purpose to a cycling helmet, which is designed to cope with a low energy impact. Or, to be more accurate, to meet (just barely in many cases [1]) a number of not terribly demanding standards.From unpleasant personal experience, you don't have any time to react when you lose the front wheel: a horse rider, having further to travel, has more time to contemplate, and prepare for the inevitable landing. My line manager was describing the nasty set of injuries she got the last time she fell off her horse (no head impact). Even then, horse riding is not the safest of activities - I have the impression that it is more dangerous than cycling - does anyone have any figures?

There is also the issue that such things like helmets are pushed for the sake of Something Must Be Done rather than whether or not they are actually useful.

[1] Helmets are sold on lightness and ventilation. To improve impact resistance necessarily requires more material (curse those damn laws of physics!) which rather defeats the marketing blurb. Hence there is a tendency for helmets to be designed down to the standards. A bike helmet designed solely on impact criteria would look rather different to what is actually sold - no ventilation holes for starters. In fact, it would look startlingly similar to motorcycle crash helmet. Fancy wearing one of those whilst tackling a Strava segment?

Big Nick

So McWobble, are you saying a cycle helmet would offer no protection against an impact to your head in a cycle crash?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Even then, horse riding is not the safest of activities - I have the impression that it is more dangerous than cycling - does anyone have any figures?
The short answer is "no-one knows, but probably".

Make of these what you will, courtesy of Dr Google.
http://www.bhs.org.uk/our-charity/press-centre/equestrian-statistics
Road Accident Statistics

The BHS considers horse related traffic accidents to be significantly under reported, a view supported by the Hospital Episode Statistics Online. The HES data concerning external causes of visits to hospital in 2011–12 reported 4,199 episodes requiring treatment in hospital for ‘animal – rider or occupant animal drawn vehicle injured in transport accident’. 15

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8339097.stm
In his paper Hazards of Horse-riding as a Popular Sport, Dr Silver cited a study from 1985 that suggested motorcyclists suffered a serious accident once every 7,000 hours but a horse rider could expect a serious incident once in every 350 hours.

Dr Silver also cites a figure from 1992 of 12 equestrian-related fatalities from 2.87 million participants. He also notes that in the period from 1994-1999, 3% of all spinal cord injury patients admitted to Stoke Mandeville Hospital were the result of horse riding. The majority of people admitted to hospital in such circumstances are women.

http://www.riders4helmets.com/2011/02/equestrian-sport-statistics-facts-what-you-should-know/
"Rate of serious injury per hour estimated to be the same for horse riders as motorcyclists; 15% of hospital admissions involve head injury." (This, in passing, I note, from a website advocating the use of helmets, and with the obligatory "a helmet saved my life" comments.)

http://www.medequestrian.co.uk/ride...ks-of-riding/risks-of-injury-risk-management/
How dangerous is horse riding? Attempts to quantify risk depend on large scale surveys and reviews of injury data from health services and other government departments. None of these sources are perfect and the statistics produced will only give part of the picture. Data on injured riders are quite straightforward to collect.

What we really need is an obsessive who owns a horse-box and has an equestrian-related business of his own - and who is expert on absolutely everything.

Big Nick

You only had to read that in just about every similar thread.
It's hard to find any concession made in previous threads so it was helpful to see your thoughts 'laid bare' so to speak and it gives your opinion further weight in my view

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
What @User said is correct @Big Nick with regards to the other threads on this topic. I can't ever remember seeing anybody saying that wearing a cycle helmet could not be of benefit if the circumstances were correct, I am however, (although I'm not going to go and check) resonably sure that a number of people that tend to be labeled "anti-helmet" have said they could and would be in some situations. I am not sure I have ever seen anybody on here that is actually anti-helmet.
The "just in case argument" for wearing helmets will almost certainly be thrown into the mix in these discussions and given that helmets can offer a certain level of protection in certain circumstances this tends to be seized upon,
"Ha, well there we are then, if they offer protection sometimes then I'll wear one, thank you for proving my point!"
What tends to be missed or ignored is that the likelyhood of it happening is rather similar to several other everyday activities, walking for example. So whilst you are correct in your position that they can and indeed do offer some protection, maybe that needs to be weighed up against the chances of it actually happening.
I don't want people to see cycling as dangerous, I'd like people to see it as a perfectly acceptable and safe way of getting from A to B, the more people that cycle the safer it becomes, but the more that cyclists and non-cyclists are lead to believe that cycling requires a helmet because it's dangerous the less people cycle ergo it actually does become more dangerous and it becomes a downward spiral.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Here's a couple of recent examples from my facebook, have a look at the comments.
Self explanatory this one

Helmet 1.jpg

I think this video shows a cyclist in a stand off with a car that has blocked the cycle lane.

Helmet 2.jpg

It honestly makes me sad.

Just so you know both these were posted by people I have as friends not by myself, none of the comments are mine.

Last edited:

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
Back in '87 I had a bad accident on my bike, no-one had bike helmets back then, I sustained quite bad head injuries fractured skull (forehead) and broken nose and left half my face on the tarmac and half the gravel off the road embedded in my face, my teeth went straight through my bottom lip with a hole big enough to fit my tongue through. initially I could only eat soup/drink through a straw. Although a open face helmet wouldn't have helped that much, I always now wear a helmet, it's my choice to do so, if you don't wear a helmet that's your choice, my view is some protection is better than none.if a helmet only stops gravel rash/bleeding then it has served it's purpose

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Back in '87 I had a bad accident on my bike, no-one had bike helmets back then, I sustained quite bad head injuries fractured skull (forehead) and broken nose and left half my face on the tarmac and half the gravel off the road embedded in my face, my teeth went straight through my bottom lip with a hole big enough to fit my tongue through. initially I could only eat soup/drink through a straw. Although a open face helmet wouldn't have helped that much, I always now wear a helmet, it's my choice to do so, if you don't wear a helmet that's your choice, my view is some protection is better than none.if a helmet only stops gravel rash/bleeding then it has served it's purpose

your mishap may well have been mitigated by a helmet. The problem is that there are seemingly an equivalent number of incidents made worse. In australia and Ontario, post compulsion the injury rates are about the same (worse maybe) - so for every injury prevented or reduced another has been caused or worsened. On balance they don't appear to help at all

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
your mishap may well have been mitigated by a helmet. The problem is that there are seemingly an equivalent number of incidents made worse. In australia and Ontario, post compulsion the injury rates are about the same (worse maybe) - so for every injury prevented or reduced another has been caused or worsened. On balance they don't appear to help at all
Life is full of risks, you make your own risk assessments whether that is the right decision I guess we will never know either way, if it ever becomes law to wear an helmet then you will have no choice, for those who are against wearing an helmet would you give up cycling because of it, probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom