I love helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
he hardly cycles! :tongue:
@McWobble wow! you seem to know what your talking about so i will leave it on your word :smile:
Cheers Ed

:smile:

But don't just take my word for it: I'm just some Random Bloke off the internet. I could be wrong, or talking bollocks. Find out for yourself, read and investigate different sources whilst keeping a sceptical but open mind - that way you'll get an informed opinion, which puts you miles ahead of most other people.

He can't suffer brain damage, he doesn't have one.

Big Nick

Is there any point anyone wearing a helmet for anything?

I mean most soldiers whom are injured don't get shot in the head so why bother wearing one?

Horse riders are another bunch who rarely seem to land on their heads when they fall off

Rally car drivers? They have roll cages and metal roofs protecting them so why do they wear them

They all seem utterly pointless

Erudin

Veteran
was that 2 bits of his helmet that broke off? got a feeling his helmet did actually help here
Cheers Ed

It was his sunglasses.

boarder.jpg
boarder2.jpg

Last edited:

Big Nick

Shrapnel

Low hanging branches.

So they don't bang their head against the inside of the car.

So although the chances of the helmet coming into play is small in these activities, do you still advocate wearing one for them Adrian?

broadway

Veteran
So although the chances of the helmet coming into play is small in these activities, do you still advocate wearing one for them Adrian?

For starters I don't think soldiers wear helmets 100% of the time when on duty. The introduction in WW1 was because of the large number of head injuries from shrapnel.

Horses I don't know, dressage riders don't wear them 100%. The rest I don't know.

Motor sport, rather different to cycling, assuming you drive you wear a helmet in a car?

GrasB

Veteran
My friend's, who studies the physics of head injuries, observations:
His head slowly moves backwards, then is rotated back rapidly post initial helmet to road interaction. The last significant movement of the head is a muscular induced snap forwards, an unnatural movement response for a relaxed neck. Taking into consideration that the helmet will be weighting about 400g plus the lack of significant whole body rotation the likelihood is a low-energy impact had he not being wearing a helmet. The helmet probably saved him road rash, mild bruising & instantaneous pain sensation.

Big Nick

My friend's, who studies the physics of head injuries, observations:
His head slowly moves backwards, then is rotated back rapidly post initial helmet to road interaction. The last significant movement of the head is a muscular induced snap forwards, an unnatural movement response for a relaxed neck. Taking into consideration that the helmet will be weighting about 400g plus the lack of significant whole body rotation the likelihood is a low-energy impact had he not being wearing a helmet. The helmet probably saved him road rash, mild bruising & instantaneous pain sensation.

And in that one word therein lies the issue

GrasB

Veteran
My feeling was he thinks that it was a case of a light head impact or no head impact. It's really hard to tell with these things as the human body has a tendency to bounce in ways which give the head a few mm clearance to the ground.

young Ed

Veteran
I have ridden many horses and spent many happy hours on horse back and i would always wear a helmet and i have only ever seen others do so, this is mainly cross country or on road rather than arena apart from for learning initially, many a time have a hit my head on a branch

and rally car driving, i expect if/when then car rolls or goes over a big jump and has a rough landing your head is thrown about and your lid does hit the side
Cheers Ed

I have ridden many horses and spent many happy hours on horse back and i would always wear a helmet and i have only ever seen others do so, this is mainly cross country or on road rather than arena apart from for learning initially, many a time have a hit my head on a branch

and rally car driving, i expect if/when then car rolls or goes over a big jump and has a rough landing your head is thrown about and your lid does hit the side
Cheers Ed

... as it would in any car involved in a collision on any road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom