I Love My Car!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Who waste there time in having a car when there are bikes

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've got a car but it gets me from A2b. i wish I didn't need it. it's just a lump of metal which serves its purpose. I've jusy got back from the pub. Goodnight.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Talking of batteries (which you were...)

Got home to Leicester last week, and my Mum's car wouldn't start, seemed to be a flat battery (cue long complicated story about radio being left on accidentally but turned down, so she didn't know, don't ask...). Never mind, thought I, we'll jump start it from sister's car when she gets up. For various reasons, we didn't set to and attempt this until my last evening there. First thing I think, better just pop the bonnet on the BMW (yeah, I know, look it's her partner's company car) to check the battery isn't all sealed in or something.

Couldn't even see the damn thing to start with! When we did locate it, sure enough, it's not a standard shape and has no terminals as I would recognise them, just one lead that goes to a positive terminal on the other side of the engine bay, and no negative that I could see - all the other leads went off into the bowels of the engine. When did they stop making cars with recognisable batteries? Or is that just a BMW thing? We had to leave it in the end and suggest she ask her next door neighbour. Made me feel really useless...

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Arch said:
and no negative that I could see
the entire rest of the car is negative. the head of any unpainted nut will do. i know it's a bit late now, but for next time:becool:

Arch

Married to Night Train
hubgearfreak said:
the entire rest of the car is negative. the head of any unpainted nut will do. i know it's a bit late now, but for next time:becool:

Thank you. Why doesn't it just have terminals like all the other cars I've ever looked at do?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
BMW cover everything up so you can't work on their cars, cos they won't make enough money out of you......

We'll my mota now has a solar charger to keep it topped up - nearly didn't start on Saturday as it's been used so little - just 2000 miles in the last 12 months. £9.99 from maplin. The only down side is I have to connect it to the battery directly as the cigarette lighter socket is 'switched off' when the ignition is .... but as it sits on the drive from Sunday afternoon until Friday evening, that's OK.

Arch

Married to Night Train
fossyant said:
BMW cover everything up so you can't work on their cars, cos they won't make enough money out of you......

I assumed that, but the annoying thing was, we didn't want to work on it, we just wanted to use it jump the Corsa, and avoid calling the AA out... As it was, we couldn't do that, and it's left me even more determined never to buy a BMW (although I'm not sure I could get much more determined on that score...)

The other thing was, while ferreting about in boot (no, we didn't think there might be a battery in there, we were looking for a manual), sister discovered there was no spare wheel in the spare wheel well. When she rang her BF to mention this, he said there is, it's under the bit you think it should be in. What's the deal with that then?

beancounter

Arch said:
I assumed that, but the annoying thing was, we didn't want to work on it, we just wanted to use it jump the Corsa, and avoid calling the AA out... As it was, we couldn't do that, and it's left me even more determined never to buy a BMW (although I'm not sure I could get much more determined on that score...)

The other thing was, while ferreting about in boot (no, we didn't think there might be a battery in there, we were looking for a manual), sister discovered there was no spare wheel in the spare wheel well. When she rang her BF to mention this, he said there is, it's under the bit you think it should be in. What's the deal with that then?

Re the battery - it's all covered in the owners manual (usually in the glovebox).

bc

Arch

Married to Night Train
beancounter said:
Re the battery - it's all covered in the owners manual (usually in the glovebox).

bc

yes, well, I thought that, but it didn't seem to be there - something I realise I can't blame BMW for... ;)

Top Bottom