I Love My Car!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will have a shitty space saver - very thin thing that are IMHO dangerous - just don't try driving very far on them, and do it very carefully.

Arch

Married to Night Train
beancounter said:
Oh go on - you know you want to!

bc

oh well, since you offered....;)

Bloody BMW. Coming over here, stealing the name of our minis...

beancounter

Arch said:
oh well, since you offered....;)

Bloody BMW. Coming over here, stealing the name of our minis...

Oh Arch!

I've got a BMW (brilliant)
My girlfriend's got a Mini (brilliant)

Hope we can still be friends? ;)

bc

Smeggers

Arch said:
I assumed that, but the annoying thing was, we didn't want to work on it, we just wanted to use it jump the Corsa, and avoid calling the AA out... As it was, we couldn't do that, and it's left me even more determined never to buy a BMW (although I'm not sure I could get much more determined on that score...)

The other thing was, while ferreting about in boot (no, we didn't think there might be a battery in there, we were looking for a manual), sister discovered there was no spare wheel in the spare wheel well. When she rang her BF to mention this, he said there is, it's under the bit you think it should be in. What's the deal with that then?

The battery is at the back of the car in BMW's to help with the weight distribution. The positive terminal under the bonnet is there for your convenience to help with jump starts etc. As somone has said the negative is anywhere, but mine has a big silver tag.

The spare tyre is missing because the tyres are the run flat type. I have had a puncture and you can hardly feel it. If it wasnt for the warning on the dash I might not have known!

Arch

Married to Night Train
beancounter said:
Oh Arch!

I've got a BMW (brilliant)
My girlfriend's got a Mini (brilliant)

Hope we can still be friends? ;)

bc

A proper mini, or a baby beamer?

Whatever, I can over look it After all, I still talk to my sister and her BF, don't I?;)

I feel bloody ignorant now though, time was I could look under a bonnet and regconise most of it. Battery near the back? How much does a battery weigh, and how much difference will it make in a damn estate car loaded to the gunwhales, I have to say...

Smeggers

Arch said:
and how much difference will it make in a damn estate car loaded to the gunwhales, I have to say...
Thankfully BMW dont belong to the "sod handling, cos all people will do, is fill it full of crap" school of car design.

Its like saying why bother buying a posh lightweight bike instead of just having a poo instead.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Smeggers said:
Thankfully BMW dont belong to the "sod handling, cos all people will do, is fill it full of crap" school of car design.

So they don't expect people to use a car to carry four people and their luggage, even if it's an estate car? What proportion of that sort of weight, is the weight of a battery?

While they're at it then, why don't they put in loads of little fuel tanks and move fuel between them to trim the car as it's used up, like Concorde did with it's wings?

For Christ's sake, it's a car to carry stuff in and for most people the most it'll ever do is 70 (or whatever speed BMW drivers think the limit is) on the motorway, full of people and crap. I really don't see the point of fine tuning handling like that in a car like that. An F1 maybe, but really, an estate car!:smile:

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Arch said:
how much difference will it make in a damn estate car loaded to the gunwhales, I have to say...

next to none. just a gimmick to increase their sales to gullible boy racers (admittedly probably middle aged ones)

Smeggers said:

Its like saying why bother buying a posh lightweight bike instead of just having a poo instead.

except where you're analogy falls down is that lightweight bicycles are designed for maximum speed and racing. BMWs are designed for carrying passengers around on the public road. you could make that comparison with a lotus 7 that's purely for racing tracks. unless, BMW are appealing to middle aged boy racer types who believe themselves to be nigel mansell or something

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
John Ponting said:
That is ONE FINE MOTOR. I had one just the same but Le Mans Green (really vivid). RWD is the only way to go if you get pleasure from driving. Stick the motor at the back as well and really get squirrelly.

My first car when I was a much, much younger Timelord was a Skoda - one of the old rear-engined ones. It was...entertaining in the wet. Not to mention lethal.:tongue:

Top Bottom