I love Youtube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nethalus

BentMikey said:
I don't think you could say that either Magnatom or myself harassed a bus driver though. Both videos show terrible behaviour that reflects very badly on bus drivers, and I believe we're quite justified in showing just how bad it was as well as reporting them. Of course that sort of driving is a tiny proportion, most bus drivers are very tolerant and and good drivers in my experience.

I would expect bus drivers to condemn that sort of driving, just as I would condemn similarly irresponsible cycling or car driving. I think there need to be more consequences for any road users who behave in this fashion.

To be honest it's a bit hard to actually see what's happening in Magnatom's video. Not much he can do about that, seeing as it's dark and his camera is on his head which he is having to move about.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
nethalus said:
Oroboras is still a bus driver though. I know who he works for, not that I'm saying like!! You tend to find that there is a strong solidarity among many bus drivers, which is why a lot of them tend to leap to the defence when they see other bus drivers being put down, reported, harrased etc.....

But no one mentioned reporting him in the comments of the video linked, and certainly no one mentioned reporting him for commenting, that's what confused me.

I agree with Mikey and Magnatom that driving that puts others at risk *needs* to be reported, to try and stop it happening again. I also agree with Mikey that most bus drivers aren't like this (certainly based on my experience so far) and (again, based solely on my experiences so far) tend to be "better" (in terms of consideration for others, and awareness of their surroundings) than other drivers I encounter on my daily commute.

With that said, both my nastiest close passing experiences (the ones where I wondered who was going to tell the kids what had happened to me) involved buses, sadly.

BentMikey said:
Of course that sort of driving is a tiny proportion, most bus drivers are very tolerant and and good drivers in my experience.

I second that. Most bus drivers that I share my commute with are good and safe drivers. This of course makes the occasional bad aggressive driver stand out all the more.

There are other issues too - it's much more frightening to be cut up by a bus, and the margin of error is much slimmer. People rightly expect better standards of behaviour from those who have responsibility for passengers. And it's easy to report bad bus driving, as they have the company name, bus number and VIN all on the outside of the bus!

col

Legendary Member
Iv just looked at the film,and sadly i cant really see the exact position of any vehicles.its a bit high,and dull weather hasnt helped,but the view i got just before it happened showed oncoming traffic.i agree,it was a silly pass by the bus,too fast and not enough room it seemed to me.
On the innocent unless proven side,im afraid its mostly guilty until proven otherwise by bus companys in my experience.I was pulled into the office because a lady complained that i was nasty,arrogant and the most unpleasant person she had ever met.What had i done you may ask?Refused to take a forged pound coin,but i have a practised line i use,in whisper mode"im sorry,but this doesnt seem to be a real coin,im afraid im unable to except it"To which she replied with the usual tirade of ,"What is it then?iv just got it in change from the post office "ect expletives withheld:smile:.After which i just politely said"Im sorry but i still cant take it"But i was still grilled like a convict,the lady even sent the coin in with a letter,and when asked by the manager,why wouldnt i except this coin,i explained to him that it was a poor copy,smoothe edge with no lines,and sunken in face, smoothed writing on the other side,this hasnt come from the royal mint,in my opinion.He then asked me would i except it now,i said no.After being sent out of the room for an hour,i was asked back,he told me he had reviewed my file,and saw only one complaint in four years, which was a lady asking for a 75p and giving me a ten pound note,to which ,again i politely informed her,i only had a five pound float and couldnt change it,she was my first customer,so i said ,if you get on ill change it later in the trip for you,when other people have got on.Nothing untoward there you might think,but the next day she had complained,and said i had refused her travel,what can i say?:evil:

Forgot to add no further action was took,after reviewing cctv too.

nethalus

When ever you get somone with a forged note or coin they always seem to say they just got it from the Post Office. Either the Post Office are into forging money, or people assume that every note or coin that comes from them is 100% bonafide!!

col

Legendary Member
nethalus said:
When ever you get somone with a forged note or coin they always seem to say they just got it from the Post Office. Either the Post Office are into forging money, or people assume that every note or coin that comes from them is 100% bonafide!!

This sadly isnt the case.A friend of mine,who is sadly no longer with us,had a forged £20 amongst his pension,when he got it from the bank,now he was a highly respected man,honoured with an mbe,but still wasnt believed by the bank.He was persistant until they changed it,but it just shows,you cant be too careful,and if a bank can make this mistake,so can other places.But when you get a coin offered,and you refuse,nine times out of ten,those same people produce a handful of pound coins from their pocket,funny how they always manage to pick the forged one every time isnt it?:evil:

nethalus

col said:
This sadly isnt the case.A friend of mine,who is sadly no longer with us,had a forged £20 amongst his pension,when he got it from the bank,now he was a highly respected man,honoured with an mbe,but still wasnt believed by the bank.He was persistant until they changed it,but it just shows,you cant be too careful,and if a bank can make this mistake,so can other places.But when you get a coin offered,and you refuse,nine times out of ten,those same people produce a handful of pound coins from their pocket,funny how they always manage to pick the forged one every time isnt it?:evil:

I've still got one in my cash tray. Pondering what to do with it though!!

nethalus

Twenty Inch said:
I second that. Most bus drivers that I share my commute with are good and safe drivers. This of course makes the occasional bad aggressive driver stand out all the more.

There are other issues too - it's much more frightening to be cut up by a bus, and the margin of error is much slimmer. People rightly expect better standards of behaviour from those who have responsibility for passengers. And it's easy to report bad bus driving, as they have the company name, bus number and VIN all on the outside of the bus!

Thing is Magnatom might have been passed by that same driver on another occasion and their driving might not have given him cause for concern. At that point the driver might have been late, tired and hungry and wanting to get home, or bursting for a Jimmy Riddle.
Once I was desperate to get to the terminus because I was bursting. Must admit my driving then wasn't ideal, but I was in agony with a fully loaded bladder. But had I not been dripping with cold sweat and desperately trying to avoid wetting myself my driving would have been, as normal, far more careful and curteous. The point is we're only human and we make mistakes sometimes, or let nature decide our course! But like Col has said it only takes one person to catch you at a bad moment and your unblemished record is blackened!!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
nethalus said:
At that point the driver might have been late, tired and hungry and wanting to get home, or bursting for a Jimmy Riddle.
The point is we're only human and we make mistakes sometimes, or let nature decide our course! But like Col has said it only takes one person to catch you at a bad moment and your unblemished record is blackened!!

It only takes one mistake to create orphans as well.......

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, and that's why I didn't do anything with the bus driver on Thursday last week, who didn't look to his left at all. Human mistake, immediate contrition. It ended up being a very positive encounter for both of us, no anger, no shouting, just friendliness and apologies all round. I've had several incidents where the bus driver made a simple human mistake, and didn't feel the need to crucify them. For that matter, I've made a few myself.

That's not the case with the driver that overtook me, IMO. I think that was intentional dangerous driving in order to teach me a lesson. Exactly what lesson I don't understand really.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
Yes, and that's why I didn't do anything with the bus driver on Thursday last week, who didn't look to his left at all. Human mistake, immediate contrition. It ended up being a very positive encounter for both of us, no anger, no shouting, just friendliness and apologies all round. I've had several incidents where the bus driver made a simple human mistake, and didn't feel the need to crucify them. For that matter, I've made a few myself.

Absolutely. I have had incidents which were pure accidents/mistakes and apologies have been made and we all go on our way. Yes it happens, but most, if not all, of the incidents I have posted are of the 'get out of my way' variety. That I don't stand for.

By the way nethalus, I forgot to send you cyclecraft (I held off due to the post strike) Are you still considering cycling? If so I will get it off to you this week.

spindrift

I've been sideswiped by a bus driver. When I caught up with him and remonstrated he sadi "Well, you overtook me!"

So he had taken umbrage at a perfectly legal manoever and decided to extract punsihment by threatening my life.

Slight overkill there, I got a standard letter from the bus company.

col

Legendary Member
Did he really threaten to kill you?Must have been a bad driver,if he missed you?:evil:

nethalus

magnatom said:
By the way nethalus, I forgot to send you cyclecraft (I held off due to the post strike) Are you still considering cycling? If so I will get it off to you this week.

Yes, cheers Magnatom, but it'll have to wait a while longer due to money being mega tight at the moment. So probably think about more seriously after christmas.
By the way it seems that a lot of people on here seem to dislike bikes purchased at Halfords. Are they naff or something??

Yes and no...

But mainly yes...

The higher spec Carrera bikes, most noteably the Subway range seem to be popular, competant machines.

The problem with their budget selection is that they weight, and handling characteristics very closely resemble a bus! Not to mention that their componants disintegrate and they supply you with such lovely things a plastic brake levers!!

IMO for budget bike Decathlon is the place to go.

It will probably be said a lot here, but it is very sound advice - spend as much as you can and buy the highest quality you can afford. The differences between a £100 and a £200 bike are phenomenal.

REmember that whilst initially cheap they can be difficult and expensive to keep on the road.

Top Bottom