I met an idiot today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
And they grit roads not the path usually though the local councils did realise they got that wrong recently when lots of calls to the ambulance occurred on one morning and the injuries included broken bones and hips.

HOU5EY

Do you get roads like this .... (Not just for a day ... For months)
View attachment 81460

And that's not like that because nobody uses it, I am normally in sight of between 1 to 5 cyclists at any one moment, and the two lighter lines are the opposite directions of travel.
Is that even I cycle path. Looks more like a field. I get your point

400bhp

Guru
Do you get roads like this .... (Not just for a day ... For months)
View attachment 81460

And that's not like that because nobody uses it, I am normally in sight of between 1 to 5 cyclists at any one moment, and the two lighter lines are the opposite directions of travel.

The link I posted to the cycle path above turns out like that towards the end of it (past the airport tunnels and before the big roundabout at the airport for those that know).

I used to commute down that road for 15 odd months straight. The one time I used the path my front wheel lost traction right at the point where the path stops and chucks you onto a crossing to take you onto the other side of the road. My front wheel and bike ended up in the bl00dy road. I was pretty lucky not to get run over.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Is that even I cycle path. Looks more like a field. I get your point
It's the cycle path next to the ring road in Bristol - two or three lane dual carriageway, and yes it is well used including by me and at least one or two others from here as well as the general public but it was finally cleared a month ago.

HOU5EY

Yeah fair enough. If they're in that condition that really isn't safe at all. It seems that the main point here is more about the fact that some cycle paths are actually unusable

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It's not that they are unusable it's their design, so the cyclist is the one that is inconvinced at every junction. But worse than that is how each junction is probably the most unsafe. The photo I posted earlier of the brand new part was open to use from Monday of this week. The path has a sharp bend to the right, which is away from the roundabout, good, but means that you have to make a sharp turn and you are facing the opposite way to the direction the cars are coming from and accelerating to 70 mph as it's a motorway slip road. Why make it harder. Yes they are going to put in lights but why force cyclists to have to look backwards to see if it is safe.

Most of the crossings also need box junctions to keep the cars out of the crossings when the green bike is showing on a day when the traffic is at a standstill.

Don't get me wrong I would like good cycle paths but at the moment it is flawed.

When this sort of thing happens, simply explain to them that:
Legally, you have just as much right to use the road as they do. (unless its a motorway)
You dont pay road tax
You're harder to trace should you be seen cycling illegally (RLJing usually, but sometimes speeding) due to the lack of number plates
You dont have to fork out for insurance (this ties in with my previous point, which would otherwise effect it if caught)
Petrol price rises dont affect you
You get fit, they get fat
The government is on our side, the government is at war against them
Your arse hurts and its THEIR fault, not your seat

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Maybe it's time to post a link to the DfT's consultation Code of Conduct for Cyclists in relation to so-called facilities: here (a bit difficult to find from the DfT site, 'cos it's now been archived).
I used to carry a few copies to hand out to drivers I judged at risk of a heart attack, with the relevant sentence highlighted/underlined:
As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
harlow-dismounts.jpg

No comment.
http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Yeah fair enough. If they're in that condition that really isn't safe at all. It seems that the main point here is more about the fact that some cycle paths are actually unusable
Some are, but then some are pretty good. Unfortunately you don't always find out which they are until you're on them. There is however a perception that if there is a cycle/shared used path available then it should be used, you've even expressed this yourself. I think many drivers are firmly of the opinion that it has to be used. There are plenty of paths near me that I use on a regular basis, however some of them run alongside roads where if I feel the urge I can push along at 25 - 30 mph, that isn't a speed which I should be doing if I am sharing a path with anybdy else, so I'll use the road. But I do find I need to be a little more robust when I do this as I will invariably get beeped or shouted at. The fact is that many cycle facilities are there for the convenience of motorised transport not cyclists and the more we get shoved onto them by frustrated motorists the more we'll find ourselves getting shoved off roads which have no facilities nearby.

donnydave

Über Member
There is an alternative route to work that I have occasionally taken and there is a beautiful cycle path that runs along side a busy, fast road with a couple of blind bends for about 1 mile but I will use the road rather than the cycle path because the path is an ABSOLUTE ARSE to get on/off. In one direction you have to stop and cross the road to get onto the path. If you treat it like a junction, no one understands what you're doing because there's no side road and its not a driveway so they try to squeeze past on the left while you wait for traffic to clear, or OVERTAKE me while I'm trying to turn right across the road. If I get off and try and cross the whole road like a pedestrian, the traffic is constant so I have to wait ages and ages for a gap.

Then when you get to the end of the path and have to rejoin the road, again the constant traffic just emerging from a blind corner means you have to wait ages and ages, then you take your chance and someone comes flying round the corner. The only other option is to continue (illegally) on the path which is no longer signposted shared use and bump across driveway entrances etc to get to a quieter bit of road with better sighting for rejoining the road.

All this is solved by staying on the road for 1 mile. I can do 1 mile in under 3 minutes so I'll stay on the road thank you very much.

The point being that at a glance of one section of a cycle path you might think "oh that's a nice path, why aren't the cyclists on there" but its not as simple as that.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
There is an alternative route to work that I have occasionally taken and there is a beautiful cycle path that runs along side a busy, fast road with a couple of blind bends for about 1 mile but I will use the road rather than the cycle path because the path is an ABSOLUTE ARSE to get on/off. In one direction you have to stop and cross the road to get onto the path. If you treat it like a junction, no one understands what you're doing because there's no side road and its not a driveway so they try to squeeze past on the left while you wait for traffic to clear, or OVERTAKE me while I'm trying to turn right across the road. If I get off and try and cross the whole road like a pedestrian, the traffic is constant so I have to wait ages and ages for a gap.
Not a unique situation. A similar shared use path runs alongside a new road bordering the edge of a new housing development - on the housing side. It has obviously been designed to cater for school children riding to the newly built local school - very worthy and indeed successful - lots of kids on bikes. But the bike traffic flow is therefore essentially in one direction, twice a day. For anyone other than a slow, local, utility cyclist the path is a pain, access difficult from the country side, crossing a number of side roads into the estate, and clogged by pedestrians and dog walkers. So we stay on the road, and get the abuse.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Is this genuine?

It's clearly been taken with a telephoto lens, which makes the signs appear closer than they really are. Thus, it's merely completely useless rather than the stupidest thing ever. I think it is genuine, but can't vouch it is

Top Bottom