I met an idiot today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HOU5EY

But would you want a cyclist doing 25 mph passing that child? What if they wobble off line? The paths I use can be a lot busier.
To be fair I've only passed a couple of kids ever using the path but I would rather slow down temporarily and pass them at a safer speed

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That's pretty much it. The section near Asda Walmat is 4 lanes and 2 islands and it can take a while to cross. On the road I just have to stop at one set of lights if they're red. Luckily I don't have to go that way so much any more.
I have to know the light sequences extremely well so I know when I've got 2 seconds between the different phases and yet I find I get frustrated (wrongly) with my fellow cyclists who block the crossing and stop me from using the two second gap so I'm forced to wait the full cycle.

400bhp

Guru
It would be interesting to see some of the cycle paths in question. This is the one I use daily. Still some cyclists use the road. In my case I can't understand why apart from passing other cyclists but from the sounds of it not all paths are like mine View attachment 81454

See my link and explanation. Care to provide a link to that cycle path and I'm sure we will find the flaw.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
To be fair I've only passed a couple of kids ever using the path but I would rather slow down temporarily and pass them at a safer speed
I would slow down but why can't a car on the road slow down to pass the cyclist - why is that different?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It would be interesting to see some of the cycle paths in question. This is the one I use daily. Still some cyclists use the road. In my case I can't understand why apart from passing other cyclists but from the sounds of it not all paths are like mine View attachment 81454
That path looks lovely, but maybe it's not gritted or full of broken glass. It also may not go where the cyclists want to go. Or, on a nice day, it could be full of dog walkers.

400bhp

Guru
That path looks lovely, but maybe it's not gritted or full of broken glass. It also may not go where the cyclists want top go. Or, on a nice day, it could be full of dog walkers.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that on a very cold day, or in the autumn with leaves about, the surface will not be worth the risk of cycling on.

HOU5EY

But if your using the path in bad conditions and you come off on the path then you get hurt but surely that's better than coming off on the road and causing drivers behind to swerve into possibly another driver head on?

uclown2002

Guru
But if your using the path in bad conditions and you come off on the path then you get hurt but surely that's better than coming off on the road and causing drivers behind to swerve into possibly another driver head on?
:scratch:

andyfraser

Über Member
In my experience the roads will be better because of the traffic helping to melt the ice. The only time I've come off due to ice is on a cycle path.

HOU5EY

No. The point is you won't fall off on the road because the surface is treated and cleaned regularly to appease the motorist.
There's a danger of coming off whatever the weather. All I'm saying is if there's a path next to a road then I'm on the path but I guess it does depend on the experience of the rider, the place you live....

andyfraser

Über Member
I have to know the light sequences extremely well so I know when I've got 2 seconds between the different phases and yet I find I get frustrated (wrongly) with my fellow cyclists who block the crossing and stop me from using the two second gap so I'm forced to wait the full cycle.
I go all zen on cycle paths. I slow down and am not in a hurry. :smile:

400bhp

Guru
There's a danger of coming off whatever the weather. All I'm saying is if there's a path next to a road then I'm on the path but I guess it does depend on the experience of the rider, the place you live....

Have you posted a link yet?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Do you get roads like this .... (Not just for a day ... For months)
image.jpg

And that's not like that because nobody uses it, I am normally in sight of between 1 to 5 cyclists at any one moment, and the two lighter lines are the opposite directions of travel.

Top Bottom