I met an idiot today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I think that in general people these days are far more angry, impatient and far less considerate than they used to be, maybe it's a sign of the times.
I think that
is very true. We seem to have advanced (if that's not too ironic) to immediately jump to a position of disproportionate violence and anger as a default mechanism for solving issues. It's not out fault...I think..its a product of the society that we live in.

Perhaps we are turning full circle and will eventually redress into club welding cavemen...I hope not.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I doubt that in a million years another cyclist would have ranted at me for not using the cycle path. There's an us-and-them tribal aspect to this sort of behaviour that is built into our DNA. Watch the news any night of the week if you want to see tribalism in action. Humans behave differently in groups than they do as individuals. Here are a few of the more common tribal labels from the present and past that have caused problems to various degrees:

Christian/Muslim
Male/Female
Black/White
Mod/Rocker
Cyclist/Motorist
Team 'A' supporter/Team 'B' supporter
Israeli/Palestinian

Etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum

It's all just different manifestations of the same phenomenon.

Granted, as civilised individuals we should be able to rise above it, but alas, that is not always the case.

Steve
Sure, I agree that tribalism exists (although I would challenge some of your examples). My point is that this incident wasn't the result of a cycle/ car tribe.

It was just an isolated idiot or a person perhaps ignorant of the facts or maybe one that was just having a really crap day.
Developing this in your mind into a tribal issue will likely entrench you and start to make you very anti- car tribe ( which I argue doesn't exist) . If you travel along that road you'll soon be referring to car drivers as caers and "them" and before you know it you will sound just like every cycle hating road user who treat you and me the same, placing us in some crap cyclist tribe and immodestly judging us to all be idiots.

If it helps I suspect this incident was a very isolated one so don'tbe too concerned about it, you are right, it's really rare, unless its you doing something wrong ( I don't mean you, you I meant the cyclist).

OP
OP
S.Giles

S.Giles

Developing this in your mind into a tribal issue will likely entrench you and start to make you very anti- car tribe ( which I argue doesn't exist) . If you travel along that road you'll soon be referring to car drivers as caers and "them" and before you know it you will sound just like every cycle hating road user who treat you and me the same, placing us in some crap cyclist tribe and immodestly judging us to all be idiots.

The ability to discern these tribal groups within society makes one less likely to indulge in them, not more.

Steve

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
The ability to discern these tribal groups within society makes one less likely to indulge in them, not more.

Steve
I don't disagree...which is kinda my point .

I think you may be misunderstanding the point I am making.

Edit, which would be forgivable as I've just read my post again and it's full of the most appalling typoes ...sorry, that's what I get from posting from my phone.

Last edited:

donnydave

Über Member
I'm expecting the 'Get on the cycle path' comment on one of my commuting diversions; this path (actually a shared footway) is actually pretty wide and does go from A to B and thus its used quite regularly by other cyclists but I want to go from A to B quickly and safely which isn't possible with a path that stops for a few side roads and is up and down constantly for driveways.

I've got a bit of shared used path like that on my commute, its about a mile or so. Half of it is driveways and side roads, made extra fun on bin day. The other half widens up a little bit but is still significantly slower than the road due to a couple of side roads with tall hedges approaching. I do often get abuse as the motorists see kids on bmx's going at walking pace on the shared path and lump me in the same "human being on a bicycle" category.

Chris Swift

Never experienced any of this yet.... during my commute through leamington spa and warwick there are cycle paths and a path which goes on the pedestrain path then 50meters later drops down onto road so ur ahead of the traffic at traffic lights.

However if anyone ever says to me i dont pay tax.... i do pay car tax £180 a year... car is also insured for me and misses and when i commute she uses car as we carnt afford 2cars!
Plus not using the car is eco friendly!

HOU5EY

I guess I must be quite lucky where I live. The council have recently invested loads in the cycle paths, they're all fairly clear of sticks and thorns etc and are away from the roads. Very rarely see anyone cycling on the roads these days as they don't need to. On the whole it's much safer for all involved.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
I'm expecting the 'Get on the cycle path' comment on one of my commuting diversions; this path (actually a shared footway) is actually pretty wide and does go from A to B and thus its used quite regularly by other cyclists but I want to go from A to B quickly and safely which isn't possible with a path that stops for a few side roads and is up and down constantly for driveways.

They've just created one in Chester le Street where you have to give way at every drive entrance. It looks truly bizarre - I was looking for a photo but couldn't find one. Obviously a sop to the residents who can't be expected to look out for cyclists as they pull out of their driveways.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
They've just created one in Chester le Street where you have to give way at every drive entrance. It looks truly bizarre - I was looking for a photo but couldn't find one. Obviously a sop to the residents who can't be expected to look out for cyclists as they pull out of their driveways.

Not fit for purpose, clearly. The correct response to a motorist who says "get on the cycle path", is normally, "it's rubbish". Half of the ones round my way are only any use if you happen to be going in that way on that side of the road. There are very few points where you can get onto or off them unless you are going in a very specific direction.

Xmas

Hi cycle chat members. First time poster here.

Reading through some of these threads about cycle path use, as I admit to being a bit baffled by what goes on during my commute on a daily basis. And was looking for insight.

A bit of background, I'm a low mileage commuter myself, since late last year. Due to daily time and school run constraints I do part of the journey by bike, part by car. For me it's a way of building in a bit of fitness each day without taking too much time out of the day if I were to do the whole thing by bike. Getting fitter and sleeping better these days which is great.

It's a rural route between town and city. The cycle part of my route is about half normal road and half cycle path beside dual carriageway, where I will always use the cycle path given the terrible performance of drivers' skills in general around cyclists.

Part of the driving part of my daily route is a NSL two lane with a dedicated shared path set back from the road, and yet very few cyclists ever use it, despite it being clean of debris and with a good surface (and more or less deserted of peds). I've used it a few times myself. There are no driveways for more than a mile. As a cyclist, and as a driver I just don't get why anyone would choose mixing it with the drivers going at 60 on an unlit road when the path is available just there.

There is another section where the road is narrow width country road, trees beside and overhead making it very dark, with a dedicated cycle path parallel built in the field behind the tree line, same issue, why doesn't everyone use it?

Reading some of the previous posts maybe speed is the issue, the time it would take to move to the path and then rejoin the road? It's the only reason I can think of so far?

I'm really looking to understand more than anything, I know absolutely it's everyone's choice whether to use the cycle path or road, I just don't get why the more dangerous option would get taken out of choice?

Any views would be welcome!!

andyfraser

Über Member
Hi @Xmas. I tend to use cycle paths where they're available if I'm on my hybrid or single speed bikes but I can go faster on the road so tend to stay on the road on my road bike.

As to your paths, I suppose it depends where they are and how long they are. If they're on routes that people don't use then that would explain the lack of use. I'd imagine leisure riders would be on road bikes and stick to the road.

Top Bottom