I might get a new bike for my tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Not sure suspension forks would be needed on a touring bike? Those would add a fair amount of weight. What bike have you got now?

Are you tall? 60cm is quite a big frame.

OP
OP
A

albertramsbottom

I am 6 feet 3 inches

I have a very crap bike from Halfords

I didnt realize it had suspension forks and i have noticed its got disk brakes, which might not be a good idea? cost of repair and difficulty of repair

Cheers

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks decent for the money.

Most of the bits have Shimano written on them, which usually equates to reliability.

Not clear if the brakes are hydraulic or cable actuated - Shimano flat bar hydraulic discs are excellent, even budget ones.

The fork isn't much of a benefit, but on t'other hand there's nothing to stop you touring with it.

Gearing is sensible, triples at the front are out of fashion, but they are what lots of us require for a bike ridden loaded.

Wang a rack on it, a couple of shakedown rides, and you'd be good to go.

OP
OP
A

albertramsbottom

Looks decent for the money.

Gearing is sensible, triples at the front are out of fashion, but they are what lots of us require for a bike ridden loaded.

Wang a rack on it, a couple of shakedown rides, and you'd be good to go.

Triples at the front? 3 cogs I assume? Well yes 24 gears is excessive and I really do not know why we have so many gears, would prefer 8 gears with one at the front with a huge difference in ratio between low and high

Thanks

OP
OP
A

albertramsbottom

How do you know 24 gears are excessive if you dont know where he is riding or what his strengths are?

Because he is me :smile:

Disk brakes are reliable and cable ones as easy to maintain as rim brakes. My commuter has done 40,000km on Shimano cable disks with a few changes of pad and cable. They protect your rim from overheating on a big descent. That frame has the rear brake on the chainstay to avoid conflict with the rack.
I am not a fan of std flat bars for touring. You can add bar ends, tri bars, butterfly/trecking bars as required for additional hand positions. Sticking to MTB controls simplifies low ratio gearing esp compared to modern drop bar controls.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Triples at the front? 3 cogs I assume? Well yes 24 gears is excessive and I really do not know why we have so many gears, would prefer 8 gears with one at the front with a huge difference in ratio between low and high

Thanks

I swear by triples. You will too. After a long day even a moderate slope will drag you backwards when fully loaded.

Top Bottom