I ran over a dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Had numerous dogs attack us out here during the tour but I got on fine.Even had a go at a few myself,especially on the hundred miler when I was knackered.Reminds me I should be able to find some of it on my videos.

Crankarm

Guru
Its just amazing that I use the same stretch of path everyday and there are often lots of dog walkers about and I have never hit a dog before. I have passed dogs going faster than I was (not excessively) and I havent had a problem before.

When I hit it, I had that feeling of anxiety that you get when you are about to punch someone, or have fallen over (a sensation where you dont quite know what is happening). I was just amazed that the owners didnt blame me at all.
I wasnt going fast and was braking when I first saw the dog start walking.

I think I could have possibly gone a little slower but that means coming to a crawl. Next time, I am going to be very cautious around dogs and ensure I dont hit them. Next time I might not meet an owner as calm and restrained as the ones I did meet.

You punch people :eek: !!!!!

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I think I could have possibly gone a little slower but that means coming to a crawl. Next time, I am going to be very cautious around dogs and ensure I dont hit them. Next time I might not meet an owner as calm and restrained as the ones I did meet.

Well that's what I do with peds,if they are walking in front and don't know im there I just wait till I get my chance to pass safely,then im off.Generally I find this happens a lot on the Waterloo shared cycle/ped path.No really a problem,just be patient.

Yep.

Frankly, the frequency with which Matthew has 'incidents' does raise the issue that the common denominator in all of these incidents is Matthew...

He's just young and still learning. Like my brother, it is usually the hard way, but without explanation of how other's would approach the situation it could be a lot worse. At least he is open to suggestion and discussion, unlike my brother who the only way of getting him to listen was to sit on him and beat the hell out of him as an older sister! Now he just listens to me at the end of a telephone, but I don't discuss his driving with him - he's a professional driver and is usually involved in something on a 3 monthly basis... near misses and the likes are a frequent occurance as is his lack of understanding (with the sole exception of cyclists, he used to be a cycle courier beforehand and is completely cool with them.) Thankfully I find Matthew far more receptive to other people's ideas than my brother ever was.

Mathew you are not the only one. Witnessed a bloke hit a dog and come off on the local leisure path yesterday. Neither was hurt, luckily and it all seemed to happen in slow motion but happen it did.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Unclip one foot and slow down more would be my advise! Also, ditch the horn, that would be the best advise I could give! I really hate those things, well not so much the horns, but the mentality of many of the riders who seem to have/use them.

Durian

Über Member
Never had that problem in 11 years cycling in Bangkok or Korat

Bangkok I can understand as here in the city of Chiang Mai I don't have a problem, it's once you get beyond the city boundaries that the problems occur. I must say that I'm amazed you've never had problems outside of Korat, maybe that should be my next place to live!

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Bangkok I can understand as here in the city of Chiang Mai I don't have a problem, it's once you get beyond the city boundaries that the problems occur. I must say that I'm amazed you've never had problems outside of Korat, maybe that should be my next place to live!
Great place for cycling. If you head west, you are in the rolling hills and to rhe east it is flat.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
From what you've described, Matthew, I don't think it was unavoidable and there does appear to be something (mentioned above) which you could have done differently. Incidents are nearly always avoidable and thinking about what could have been done differently is one of the keys to self-improvement.

I hope that it doesn't come across as patronising or condescending but, if you think again about it with the benefit of a night to detach from the emotions, is there anything you now think could have been done differently?
nicely put.

Matt, glad to see that you were thoughtful of the incident and didn't just ride on.
As Norm says, go over it in your mind, would you slow down little more next time, Perhaps not toot but call out , maybe give a wider berth.

Whatever you come up with will only make you a better rider.

Stay safe Fella

Scruffmonster

Über Member
It's a dog. A living animal.

Stop.

Wait.

Continue.

I know true accidents can't be helped, but you've hit a dog that you've seen from a good distance off. It hasn't just darted from nowhere.

Irrespective of whether the owner could have done any different (probably could have done), you screwed up.

Sad that it happened to you though. Can't have been nice.

Top Bottom