I ran over a dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
nicely put.

Matt, glad to see that you were thoughtful of the incident and didn't just ride on.
As Norm says, go over it in your mind, would you slow down little more next time, Perhaps not toot but call out , maybe give a wider berth.

Whatever you come up with will only make you a better rider.

Stay safe Fella

Good response. I find a simple 'Excuse me' as I'm coming up behind people gives even the dogs a bit of awareness. Obviously slowing down to a speed that allows time to react to surprises is necessary too, but I've had a dog run into me once as I was moving at barely more than walking speed.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Unit 15 The White Rose Centre,
Rhyl,
Clwyd LL18 1EW
01745 343200
The above address and phone number may be some help to you. Please make an appointment!
On second thoughts, you may like cycling but cycling does not seem to like you! Give it up and take up
macrame, painting by numbers or Lego.
Now before anyone whinges "He is only young!"; we have all been there and what did we do? We put
the miles in, skinned our knees, put some blood on the tarmac but we did learn

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
It happens. I've hit two so far and neither were as small as a pug. Both on rather fast descents. The first was a Collie that launched himself at me from under a hedge. He landed on loose gravel and slid into me. His paw went under the front wheel and his head clanged off the down tube. As I looked backed, he was just looking at me like "What did ye do THAT for?"

The second was whilst riding in a group next to a farm. A Bassatt hound went after the lead rider but changed his mind and turned into my path. I hit him full in the head and sent him into a cartwheel. Now you may say I should have slowed but his buddy the Rottweiler was closing really bloody fast from right.

If this keeps up I'm buying some Snoopy stickers and putting them on the frame like a WWII pilot.

What is it? 3 more and I'm an Ace?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
There is actually a cycle path in Perth where someone has turned into a Strava section. Total idiot as it encourages people to fly along it.
I've got one near me, it's a 2.5mile section of the path which somebody has made a segment, it's just stupid.
I've got second place at the moment :thumbsup:

Everything is unavoidable in the end. But it's the lengths you need to go to to avoid it. I agree with the "don't go between dogs and not to put yourself between dog and owner." I also take the view that no matter what side of the path it puts me I would rather pass on the owner side so the owner is between me and the dog.
Some people seem to wander about aimlessly on shared paths and even divided paths in a way that they would never consider when on a road. Which is not far off where they are.

SS Retro

As a dog owner and cyclist sympathy with both sides.

A funny dog, bike, path story from a couple of years ago I was cycling along the tow path of Lancaster canal when this dog started chasing me and running along side not intent on biting me. Think it was just enjoying the chase it was looking up at me we were doing around 15mph and the canal path curved off to the right, I went right the dog went mid air and water! :laugh: I had to stop and lift the bedraggled creature out as it couldn't make the bank on it's own the owner was pleased I had rescued her pooch.

markharry66

Über Member
It's a dog. A living animal.

Stop.

Wait.

Continue.
Sorry I disagree
stick the dog on a lead and keep control of it as an owner you have an obligation to control your pet public, if its a danger to the public then it shouldnt be out in public

Top Bottom