1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I ran over a duck

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Mister Paul, 18 Mar 2008.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

:smile:

On the way in this morning cycling along the towpath. A mallard is pottering around in front of me. So I slowed down a rang the bell a few times (it was also on the approach to a blind bridge, so I was doing that anyway). He moved to the side, and then at the last minute spotted something that looked edible on the other of hte towpath and so darted in front of me.

There was no crunching, but I did feel sick as the front wheel and then the rear bumped over his body. I thought I'd killed it, or I was at least going to have to do something with a fatally injured bird. But he just flew into the canal and swam away.

I spotted him swimming along not far from the scene on the way home, so he looks to be ok.

I think he's been talking about it though. A bit further up I passed a couple of canada geese and one of them looked at me funny.

2. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Ooh, you want to watch out Mr P, revenge will be coming. Remember that pigeon I rode over ages ago? It, or it's mate, flew into my head the other day whilst I was skating along. Felt like someone punched me in the cheek, I nearly crashed.

3. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

Watch out Mr. P. if that duck decides to sue, you could get landed with quite a bill!!

*Gawd, if I ran over a duck I think I'd quack up!*

4. Tony

Tony New Member

Never run over a duck, but especially after a night of beer and curry, I've stepped on a few...

5. Jaded

Jaded New Member

You had your funny hanging out? :biggrin:

6. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

It's a well known fact that ducks are made of rubber which is probably why it survived.

7. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

having geese hiss at you on a canal towpath gives you a certain extra bit of speed :biggrin:

8. tdr1nka

like a cyclist off a ducks back..........

9. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

And it's coming up to Spring, so all the duck's geese mates will have offspring - so they will be real nasty to you now !!!

10. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

You can just imagine the scene, in court:

"Well, this is what happened, Mallard"

IGMC
    :biggrin:

11. tdr1nka

I see Mr. P. in front of the Beak, watching while the prosecution take a gander thru the evidence.

12. tdr1nka

they suspect (water)fowl play!!!

13. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

I knew it was a mistake to egg you on!

14. tdr1nka

Whats your 'Grebe'ience gambers?

Or do you want moor hen?

I'm willing to listen, just as soon as I've turned on my 'heron'-aid.

15. tdr1nka

*In fact it's very lucky Mr. P. wasn't thrown from his bike, or we might have heard him shouting, 'RUDDY DUCK!'*