I regret...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
...to say, Doctor Who isn't doing it for me any more. It's not the new chap, I like him ok, I think his flashes of anger are a promising trait, but... I dunno. It's not the same. I missed last week's first part, but I didn't think the angels were anything like as scary this time. Maybe it was because it was a return.

But then the new improved Daleks didn't work for me either. I used to get a serious shiver at the Daleks, but they left me cold.

And as for that girl throwing herself at the Doctor... No, no, no. A bit of unrequited/unspoken heartache, ok, in fact I like that, and come to think of it, it pretty much sums up my life experience (although not with any actual 900 year old aliens), but... no....

Add in a minor but, to me, very obvious continuity error near the end, and I'm left feeling a bit... like I've lost something...

I'll watch it when it's on, and I'm in, but I'm not so bothered about missing it as I was.

Ho Hum.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Those new Daleks look awesome....... the Angels were good - enjoyed those episodes.

Oh and the lass is cute......

Always takes a bit for the 'actors' to settle in with the 'change'.....

I like it....

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't think it's the actors though. I dunno.

It's just not grabbing me like it used to - I'm trying to like it, honest.

I thought the new Daleks just looked a bit... plastic. I know they change a bit from appearance to appearance, but this was too much...

I did like the idea of the old style ones serving tea to Winston Churchill, I admit.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Oh dear Arch - another milestone in your development has occurred. Unfortunately this sort of thing will carry on with TV, music, books etc for the rest of your development. I hardly have anything I make any effort to be around to watch on TV these days. Once upon a time I used to watch all sorts of stuff and make the effort to be in to watch.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh no!

You don't mean...

<small voice>

I've grown up!

:rofl:

I still don't know what I want to be!

Noodley

I sometimes watch it, but it does seem to cover the same 'characters' (daleks, angels, 'other' that I have never been arsed to know what they are called) with similar sort of storylines, but with different Drs and sidekicks...a bit repetitive if you ask me.

Get some new kick-ass monsters and spice it up a bit....even younger Noodlette shrugged tonight when I told her it had started.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
There have always been recurring 'monsters', but also a few new into the mix in each series. Part of the pull (for me anyway) was seeing how the returns would work, anticipating the inevitable. But, for me, there seems to be a lack of suspence in this series.

I hope for the new guy's sake, that I'm an odd one out. I'm sure there will be plenty of others who like the new style. He could be, nay, is, good. But I wonder if they've knocked 10 years and several IQ points off the target audience.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
satans budgie said:
The difference is Russell T Davis writer/producer has moved on.

There is that. But the new guy was the guy behind the angels, and first time round they were seriously scary. This time... <shrug>

Maybe the angels aren't a monster that bears repeating - maybe it was just that one situation that really worked. Plus the fact that they were on Earth the first time*. Somehow those episodes tend to be more scary than the alien planet ones - the idea of something od in 'our' world I guess.

*also, on Earth, they were something you'd find in a cemetery. In random space/time, stone ornaments are a bit incongruous.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Arch said:
Oh no!

You don't mean...

<small voice>

I've grown up!

:smile:

I still don't know what I want to be!

Join the club Arch :laugh: I'm told I am into my second childhood but I didn't know that I'd grown out of the first and that there would be a second one.

Now that you are all grown up you can watch adult movies :rofl:

AncientWyvern

I really like it!

The new doc is really good and entertaining. I think its like with anything though; gotta let that dust settle.

In my opinion if anything it seems to have stepped up a little! :rofl:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I want to like it, really I do.

And I don't dislike it, I just... can't get so excited.

Maybe David Tennant meant more to me than even I realised.

Although I liked Chris Eccleston too. And I like the new chap, it's the other stuff...

26x25 - these adult movies. Do any of them have David Tennant in them?

The writing is off, a bit lame and slightly obvious. Amy Pond is rubbish, just a bit doe-eyed and shallow. The Doctor lacks gravitas, though he could be improving but he's unconvincing so far in the really key moments, he can't quite carry it. The new Tardis is too shiny and gimmicky, the music is dull and slightly more worldly, less of an edge and ....... it's just not quite..........right.

wafflycat

The new Tardis is a pants nod in the direction of steampunk. The new doc is just not working. Seems that going for a very young doc is backfiring a bit? A bit of change for the sake of change added on to the enforced change of actor?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I really don't like the new music - it's far too loud and intrusive. It's telling that I've recorded last weeks episode and not watched it yet. I did, however approve of the WW2 Daleks, as my avatar will attest.

Top Bottom