I regret...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
I remember running out of a Dr Who exhibition in tears when I was young because I saw a sign that the Daleks were just round the corner:ohmy: ended up running back out of the 'entrance' family were waiting round at the exit for us and I was 'lost' for a few minutes.
Now I'm nearly 40 it's just not as frightening:biggrin:

postman

Legendary Member
Oh Arch .Just wait till your 60 .

And EVERTHING is crap compared to what you liked and remember .

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
oh god! the music!:biggrin:

We didn't watch it when I was a kid, at the first chord of the music it got switched off. I think that made it even scarier - because I just knew it was meant to be frightening, but didn't know what I was being scared of. Some of the cardboard robots would probably have made me laugh instead. But the 70's era music still makes me shiver a little at the start.

The Peter Cushing film was on one Saturday morning when I was about 8 or 9, and I remember watching a little bit and then switching off and saying I'd decided I didn't want to watch it - actually I was petrified, but I acted cool.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Arch
I'm also with you, this new season's been pretty carp. I don't warm to the new Doc, nor Amy and the stories are a bit lame-ish but have occasional good ideas in them... somehow it just doesn't gel, it's less than the sum of it's parts, but nicely polished. It's lacking something... depth I think, there's no depth to their characters.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yeah, that could be it. I guess Amy could develop - there's a hint of something there, the obsession with the raggedly doctor as a kid, the timing of the wedding etc. Maybe it's slow to come out.

Postman - I'm already doing the 'it ain't like it used to be...' bit. I do tend to conservatism (with the exception of cycling recumbency), but I often get used to whatever is new.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
potsy said:
Sounds like you're past it Arch,will have to watch 'last of the summer wine' and repeats of 'Heartbeat' from now on:biggrin:

Thanks, I'll just pop out and slit my wrists now...

I've never really watched Heartbeat, except the day they filmed part of an episode outside my house - it was a car chase and all!

I expect I'll have to get a giant tartan slipper boot too.

wafflycat

potsy said:
Sounds like you're past it Arch,will have to watch 'last of the summer wine' and repeats of 'Heartbeat' from now on:biggrin:

Wash your mouth out with soap! Arch... past it??? You'll be visited by the p*n*t*re fairy, Potsy... now you've dissed our Arch... ;)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bless you Waffles.;)

Mind you, I did find myself thinkgin "Blimey, this works well!" about a cleaning product earlier, so I AM turning into my Mother.

Who comes up for the day tomorrow, I really ought to go to bed now, or I'll look like a wreck.

potsy

Rambler
Arch said:
Thanks, I'll just pop out and slit my wrists now...

I've never really watched Heartbeat, except the day they filmed part of an episode outside my house - it was a car chase and all!

I expect I'll have to get a giant tartan slipper boot too.
As if you haven't got one already;)

wafflycat said:
Wash your mouth out with soap! Arch... past it??? You'll be visited by the p*n*t*re fairy, Potsy... now you've dissed our Arch... ;)
Oh damn,is it too late to take it all back?:biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The first 3 Doctors took me through to 18 years of age by which time I had other things on my mind but I loved the show up to that point. I still kind of enjoyed it for a while after that, running around 'under the influence' pretending that people approaching me were Drashigs, or cringing in terror from my friends who had mysteriously metamorphosised into clones of The Master. Ah, those were the days... ;)

I thought that the original music was great and wrote a letter to the BBC Radiophonic Workshop about it. I was really excited when they wrote back and sent me a parcel containing recordings that they'd made, a history of the unit, publicity photographs, short biographies of key figures etc. :biggrin:

I was never able to get into the later Doctors, including the modern generation.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
ColinJ said:
I thought that the original music was great and wrote a letter to the BBC Radiophonic Workshop about it. I was really excited when they wrote back and sent me a parcel containing recordings that they'd made, a history of the unit, publicity photographs, short biographies of key figures etc. ;)

oh, very cool indeed!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Just had a conversation with my wife.

Like the new Dr. Not quite as "Shakespearean" as David Tennant, but definitely captures the manic, other wordily, mad professor attitude.

And I prefer Stephen Moffat's writing/direction.

But each to their own.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think he's done all right. The last three episodes I think it would have perhaps been better lettering Gatiss loose as a double parter for the Daleks and the Angels as a single parter, the first part was pretty boring. Then again when they did that pretty much in Tennant's second season that wasn't as good as it might have been. The first two were pretty good though.

Looking at comparison for the first five stories versus the three Tennant seasons and Ecclestone season I'd say it's no weaker than any of the others. Ecclestone had things like The End of the World, Aliens of London and World War Three which were all right rather than classics. Tennant had some clangers in the early stories in each season like New Earth, Gridlock, School Reunion, Smith and Jones, Partners in Crime. I do wish they'd get Amy to get some more expressions though.

Top Bottom