I say, are there any women here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Oi! You lot of old men... nothing wrong with being an old woman! Harumph! :biggrin:

What is this girlie stuff? If it involves lusting over Alessandro Pettachi, then I'm all for it! As we ladies know, there's nothing finer than a well-toned male 4r$3 in tight Lycra cycle shorts to lust after!

asterix

Comrade Member
I'm really Margaret Thatcher. 'knew I could get away with it:evil:

caz

I’m a female too, but as an inexperienced cyclist I just tend to lurk on the forum rather than participate! Like summerdays, I’m not a strong cyclist, hills are my weakest point, I always seem to struggle on them no matter what speed I do, and average about 13mph on the flat on my Trek hybrid. Thinking about getting a road bike, but can I really justify it (and of course the cost of another bike is a problem – low income etc) and hubby’s argument is “well, where are you going to store it, we haven’t got any room and what do you need two bikes for anyway?” I enjoy cycling as being a carer to my hubby, it’s my chance to have some “time out”.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I average about the same speeds as you guys, but it doesn't bother me in the least. Don't get hung up about it!! For me, cycling is all about pleasure, and I'd rather enjoy the journey than bust a gut.

Personally, I fancy Tom Boonen, but I have a strange attraction to David Miller as well.

wafflycat

Cathryn said:
I average about the same speeds as you guys, but it doesn't bother me in the least. Don't get hung up about it!! For me, cycling is all about pleasure, and I'd rather enjoy the journey than bust a gut.

Personally, I fancy Tom Boonen, but I have a strange attraction to David Miller as well.

Therapy is thataway ---> :biggrin:

As for speed of cycling - I don't do fast. Dosen't bother me in the slightest. I cycle because I enjoy it. :biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

exactly...it's about having fun and maybe getting a bit fit into the bargain...who cares if you struggle on hills, walk up the bloody things, who cares if you get passed by kids on MTB's like I do occasionally...I used to care a lot about what others were thinking...then it dawned on me that I couldnt possibly know what they were thinking...it was all in my mind...just getting out there on 2 wheels and doing what you are happy and comfortable doing is good enough. In fact I reckon most non cyclists are secretly extremely jealous of all cyclists, especially pro's like us;):biggrin:

caz

Bigtallfatbloke said:
exactly...it's about having fun and maybe getting a bit fit into the bargain...who cares if you struggle on hills, walk up the bloody things, who cares if you get passed by kids on MTB's like I do occasionally...I used to care a lot about what others were thinking...then it dawned on me that I couldnt possibly know what they were thinking...it was all in my mind...just getting out there on 2 wheels and doing what you are happy and comfortable doing is good enough. In fact I reckon most non cyclists are secretly extremely jealous of all cyclists, especially pro's like us;):biggrin:

Thanks BTFB, that's really encouraging. I enjoy my cycling and go out as and when I can, and yes I do get overtaken by loads of cyclists! As for hills, unless they're really steep or I'm coming to the end of my ride when I'm tired, then I see them as a challenge. I guess I should slow down and keep a steady pace when going up, instead of trying to charge up them :biggrin:. In fact there are a couple of hills that I would dread going up when I first started cycling as they are quite long, but now as I'm getting fitter they don't seem to be so daunting!

dub-no-bass

I'm a girl, but I've been MIA lately.

I don't know if I'm allowed to be called a proper cyclist. AKAIC, it's not a sport, it's transport, so races and Sunday afternoon time triallists mystify me.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Awww thanks. I was just feeling intimidated by your cool MB antics! That's one of the beauties of cyling...there are so many different things you can do that if you're not built for one type you can try something else.

KitsuneAndy

Speicher said:
I enjoy some of the "so-called" more masculine activities. The highlight of my last holiday was going on a freighter, a warship and most of all into a submarine. I was very miffed on the same holiday, when just because there was a strong wind blowing and it was a little bit chilly:wacko:, ok very cold indeed, it was assumed that as a female I did not really want to be on the top deck of a 1910 Motor Ship. May I make my own decisions on that?

That's probably enough waffle for now. I will try and join in more often.

I think that 'masculine' activities are rapidly becoming more and more unisex (and rightly so). It's just some naive people still hold onto the belief that women can't (or don't want to do certain things).

My missus is a prime example as she has quite a few medals/trophies for her martial arts, is a keen cyclist, likes computer games and is one of the best players in my paintball team.

Which is great, since I hate shopping :biggrin:

Top Bottom