I should be shot..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddy01

I would be the first to admit I have little patience once there's something I want to get done...

Having just got a new bike I swapped various bits over from the old one, including 105 SPD's.. by the 2nd ride on the new bike there was a very infuriating clicking coming from the BB area... various stand up / sit down, pedal with 1 leg then the other tests suggested it was the left pedal..

Monday I ordered the correct tool to strip the pedal down (remove the spindle) so I can clean and re-pack the grease in it...only it's not arrived..

It's a new bike..it's 23 degrees and pure blue sky.. I need to be out riding.. I can't wait any more and neither can I put up with the off-beat clicking, especially on climbs..so out with the toolbox...

Ah that'll do, thinks I, spying one of those adjustable type wrenches where you can adjust the width of the [serrated] jaws then the handles clamp together. 5 minutes later the spindle was out, cleaned, re-packed with grease and reassembled... of course the knurled part that the proper tool fits onto the remove the spindle is now less knurled and more, smooth as the proverbial... :biggrin:

Yours

Bodge It & Scarper Esq

raindog

er.....
I've taken 105s to bits just with a pair of adjustable grips before now, and although it's a bit brutal, I've never really done any damage, so you must've really given it some welly to smooth 'em off. :biggrin:

ramses

Just a thought, if it's a new bike, could you have taken it back to the shop and asked them to do it with all the right tools?

Assuming it came from a shop and not the internet that is!

Main thing is you've sorted the annoying click. Something I'm having trouble with on my MTB, despite stripping down my DMR V8's they are still clicking.
So gave in and ordered some V12's instead.

Road bike peals are 105's and they are sweet.

Enjoy your cycling!

OP
OP
paddy01

paddy01

Just a thought, if it's a new bike, could you have taken it back to the shop and asked them to do it with all the right tools?

Assuming it came from a shop and not the internet that is!

Main thing is you've sorted the annoying click. Something I'm having trouble with on my MTB, despite stripping down my DMR V8's they are still clicking.
So gave in and ordered some V12's instead.

Road bike peals are 105's and they are sweet.

Enjoy your cycling!

New bike didn't come with pedals ;) they're about 18 months old and we're swapped over from another of my bikes . I've got the right tool on order to do them.. just couldn't bear not riding today so attacked them :-)

Will most likely get a new set of 105's (or maybe Ultegra) for the new bike and the slightly mullered ones, now without clicking, can go back on another bike :smile:

OP
OP
paddy01

paddy01

Bum bum bum bum bum.. after all that it wasn't the pedal.. looks like a crank / BB creak.. which on a new bike heading into a sunny bank holiday weekend is a bit of a bummer....LBS here we come.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Check your saddle bolt first. A loose bolt can allow the saddle to move making all kinds of noises that seem to come from the BB.

raindog

er.....
In my experience creaks are NEVER what you think they first are. I spent weeks and weeks tracking one noise down and it turned out to be dry seat pillar. I gave it a thin smear of grease and the creak was cured.

Garz

Squat Member
In my experience creaks are NEVER what you think they first are. I spent weeks and weeks tracking one noise down and it turned out to be dry seat pillar. I gave it a thin smear of grease and the creak was cured.

+1 this happened to my other bike.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Checked all that, however...left crank off..check BBQ all seems tight..crank back on and the creak is gone..touch wood! :smile:

I had that creak a few weeks ago. Crank off, cleaned up a little, regreased it and put it back on again. Silence...for about a week. Now I'm trying to track down a little clunky monkey who's since taken up residence somewhere in my drive train.

Top Bottom