i stink !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
can anyone help - my shoes have been through the wars this years and i have to be brutally honest - they reek . has anyone got any remedies for this . i am thinking of mixing up a batch of milton fluid and dropping them in that overnight . i already have odour eaters in them ( just been replaced ) but think the job is too much for them ! so any ideas would be appreciated - apart from stinking they are still good shoes so i dont want to get a new pair if i can help it

musa

Über Member
Cat litter inside. Leave it and throw away. Sorted.

400bhp

Guru
Wash them in the washing machine (put them in a mesh bag or wrap them in an old towel.)

and/or bicarbonate of soda poured inside them (you can buy it from wilkinsons).

Even better-wash them with a little bicarb.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Avoid getting them soaked regularly !!!

Case in point. My MTB shoes are 3 years old and I use them every day. In the wet it's waterproof overshoes on top. If they ever get wet, then it's get them dry. TBH this is rare.

Expensive road shoes, not worn very often, again I try to not get them wet. The shoes have had a thorough soaking about 3 times this year and they smell very musty.

If your shes are getting soaked often, then they will start to stink. Cycling shoes don't suffer the smelly feet syndrome of trainers as they are generally better vented.

Options as above to help remove it, but try and keep them dry.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I use a shoe spray, much like the stuff they use at bowling alleys, which kills the bacteria in sweat that makes the shoes pong. I will definitely try the cat litter thing in hubby's shoes.

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
will definitely try the litter stuff - they have got a good soaking very regularly just lately and the smell is more musty damp than stinking feet ! i daren't throw them in the washing machine being leather and solid plastic bottoms - think i could be down a pair of shoes and a washing machine if i tried that -- but thanks everybody for the help

BLUE(UK)

It is usually from bacteria cross contamination from another pair of shoes. Often,once one pair smell, they all eventually end up smelling also.
ALWAYS change socks whenever changing shoes and never go bare foot. Oh, and never let anyone borrow your shoes nor borrow anyones shoes, damned filthy!!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
will definitely try the litter stuff - they have got a good soaking very regularly just lately and the smell is more musty damp than stinking feet ! i daren't throw them in the washing machine being leather and solid plastic bottoms - think i could be down a pair of shoes and a washing machine if i tried that -- but thanks everybody for the help

Never mind the cat litter!
As 400bhp in post #7 above said, wash them. By hand, in a bucket :smile: if you don't want to use the machine, in a mild bleach solution. Rinse. Then let the shoes dry, dose liberally (inside!) with baking soda (available in all supermarkets or grocery shops), leave overnight, shake the baking powder out.
Tried and tested many times.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
My cycling shoes don't smell at all and they get regularly soaked. My climbing shoes, on the other hand - or foot, smell like something from the trenches.

Top Bottom