I take back everything I ever said about chain lube.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It doesn't matter how well you lube the chain if you are an habitual chain-crosser; forcing the chain to change direction twice in every revolution while under stress will wear the links out in quick time because the force is briefly carried through the ends of the pins.
It's not so much that it's more that since they stopped using bushes in the chain relying instead on pressed side plates the bearing surfaces are put under a lot more stress when the chain is 'bent'.

D

Deleted member 26715

People oil their chain? When did that become fashionable, is this another hipster prank?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5275629, member: 259"]I can just imagine the reaction if I melted a load of wax in the slow cooker and soaked my chain in it.:whistle:[/QUOTE]
Plenty of crock pots hanging around thrift stores for small money. Get one of those little ones for sauces and appetizers, and you're set.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
This might be of interest:

http://www.ihpva.org/HParchive/PDF/hp50-2000.pdf

The first article tests the efficiency of a derailleur drive-train.

They conclude that efficiency varied between ~81% and 99% and that the main factors were sprocket size (big-big is more efficient than small-small) and chain tension (high tension more efficient than low tension).

They say that the impact of lubrication and cross chaining is negligible. However, their test shows an efficiency difference of ~2% between different lubricants. This is in line with the OP's article which claims a 5W difference at 250W input (2%); not enough for most of us to care about but possibly significant to a pro.

They may be claiming that it is insignificant due to probable systematic error in the experiment; I imagine an electric motor in a lab might not be the best simulation of legs in the real world.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
This might be of interest:

http://www.ihpva.org/HParchive/PDF/hp50-2000.pdf

The first article tests the efficiency of a derailleur drive-train.

They conclude that efficiency varied between ~81% and 99% and that the main factors were sprocket size (big-big is more efficient than small-small) and chain tension (high tension more efficient than low tension).

They say that the impact of lubrication and cross chaining is negligible. However, their test shows an efficiency difference of ~2% between different lubricants. This is in line with the OP's article which claims a 5W difference at 250W input (2%); not enough for most of us to care about but possibly significant to a pro.

They may be claiming that it is insignificant due to probable systematic error in the experiment; I imagine an electric motor in a lab might not be the best simulation of legs in the real world.
I would agree, I think Frank Berto's experiments in the 1980's used an electric motor as well. Perhaps if a weight/counterweight component were added, it might help.
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/SunTour_derailleurs_-_Frank_Berto_and_the_curse_of_Duopar.html

I last cleaned a chain in 1996

I just top up the amount of lube, trusting that the spinning gears with 'fling' any crud or crap off with any excess lube - I've been using finish line cross country or dry lube as situation requires.

Had no issues, road bike going on 10 years and a fair few thousand miles over that time, mountain bike hasn't covered many miles since gears were fitted 6 years ago

GuyBoden

Guru
I used the old method of melted paraffin wax (candles) with added oil combination, but soon got back to just using engine oil. It was just too much fussing....

clf

I experimented with this once on my commuter, cleaned and oiled first chain religiously, chain lasted about 1500 miles before it need replacing due to stretch, next chain never cleaned, a bit of dry lube every now and again when things got a bit squeaky, chain lasted about 1500 miles before it needed replacing due to stretch, third chain treated as second, lasted pretty much the same amount of time, cassette replaced with 4th chain.
Don't see the point of spending too much time cleaning and lubricating the chain tbh.

Top Bottom