I take back everything I ever said about chain lube.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Clean and relube the chain after every ride! Yeah right.

Life is too short and I'm sure his calculations on drivetrain wear costs cannot factor in any value for the time involved?

bpsmith

Veteran
They also test the lubes for 400km runs before relubing to come up with the comparable results between each lube.

I think we can all take just a few words and ignore everything else to put any spin we like on articles like this. The reality being that it isn’t the whole story guys!

I think we can all take just a few words and ignore everything else to put any spin we like on articles like this. The reality being that it isn’t the whole story guys!
Yep. Best answer is "it depends!"

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Wipe the crap off after every ride** with an oily rage, re lube if needed. Follow the Mickle method basically and it seems to work for me.

** I know commuting is different and I’m posting only about my thrice weekly leisure rides. Once a week if lucky when I commuted.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That’s what I’ve been doing wrong then. What’s the best way of performing said Oily Rage?

Hang bike up in garage, chain facing towards you, ideally around chest height. Place newspaper on floor, shout irrationally at your groupset and crap will fall to floor**

** in winter additional foot stamping may be required. Helps warm one up as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It doesn't matter how well you lube the chain if you are an habitual chain-crosser; forcing the chain to change direction twice in every revolution while under stress will wear the links out in quick time because the force is briefly carried through the ends of the pins.

Last edited:
Top Bottom