I take back everything I ever said about chain lube.

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by mickle, 12 Jun 2018.

Tags:
  1. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this......

Clean and relube the chain after every ride! Yeah right.

Life is too short and I'm sure his calculations on drivetrain wear costs cannot factor in any value for the time involved?

Moodyman, Pat "5mph" and raleighnut like this.
  2. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

3. Drago

Drago Guru

I just chuck mine in the pan with the chips every few weeks.

tyred, johnnyb47, TigerT and 5 others like this.
  4. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

Hurrah - the two people quoted in the article both claim their product is the best. Totally impartial then.

5. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

"After every ride" - so I get to work, then need to clean and oil the chain before sitting down to work, then the same rigmarole when I get home. People do write rubbish don't they

tyred, Glow worm, Crankarm and 4 others like this.
  6. bpsmith

bpsmith Veteran

They also test the lubes for 400km runs before relubing to come up with the comparable results between each lube.

I think we can all take just a few words and ignore everything else to put any spin we like on articles like this. The reality being that it isn’t the whole story guys!

mikeymustard likes this.
  7. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

8. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member Photo Winner

where do they get the running costs from ? cheapest was $200 for 10,,000km

an occasional drop of any free oil lying about and bin the chain evry 1000 mile and replace the cassette every 12,000 mile would only be working out at about £55 (85 aus dollars) every 10,000 km

User259 and raleighnut like this.
  9. mikeymustard

mikeymustard Über Member

Yep. Best answer is "it depends!"

bpsmith likes this.
  10. PaulSB

PaulSB Guru

Wipe the crap off after every ride** with an oily rage, re lube if needed. Follow the Mickle method basically and it seems to work for me.

** I know commuting is different and I’m posting only about my thrice weekly leisure rides. Once a week if lucky when I commuted.

11. bpsmith

bpsmith Veteran

That’s what I’ve been doing wrong then. What’s the best way of performing said Oily Rage?

12. PaulSB

PaulSB Guru

Hang bike up in garage, chain facing towards you, ideally around chest height. Place newspaper on floor, shout irrationally at your groupset and crap will fall to floor**

** in winter additional foot stamping may be required. Helps warm one up as well.

postman, mjr, TinyMyNewt and 5 others like this.
  13. mikeymustard

mikeymustard Über Member

which is why you have a "winter" bike with cheaper and theoretically more robust kit on, which said drive train is then largely ignored for several months :okay:

PaulSB and raleighnut like this.
  14. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Real men know how to floss,and what goes with chips can't hurt:okay:

mjr likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice