1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think Ebike users should have a dedicated section on Strava??

Discussion in 'Electric Bikes' started by iateyoubutler, 18 Nov 2017.

1. As the title says

I work with a bloke who uses one, and is on Strava, and every day it`s "3rd overall" this and "2nd overall" that, an it`s plain and simple that he`s clocking these top 10`s, and god forbid KOM`s, and making NO EFFORT whatsoever, the bike is doing all the work. I have precious few top 10`s and only 3 KOMs, and I work bloody hard for them.

I don`t want to open a can of worms, but it really doesn`t seem fair on those who are relying solely on their own legs to do the work
  2. Marmion

Marmion Guru

Oh no, the horror.
  3. Lonestar

Lonestar Rat Run Cyclist

CS 2 and CS 3
    It takes a bit of effort to charge the battery every night,goddamnit.
    raleighnut and Dogtrousers like this.
  4. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

I sort of agree but I'm not that bothered. However if he is boasting about his Strava results on an electric bike then that's funny:biggrin:
    GlenBen, Phaeton and Lonestar like this.
  5. Not all people use Strava to gain KOMs. It is also used just to record where you have been. It may surprise some but some cyclists just ride a bike for the enjoyment of riding a bike.

What is funny is that some people dont understand that concept.

Contact Strava and suggest it to them. They may take it on board.
  6. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

I was under the impression that there is an Ebike section on strava, but that people didn't know about it, or they didnt use it because they would like their ordinary bike records as well as ebike records merged together, so that they could see all of their results. I could be wrong of course.
  7. sight-pin

sight-pin Über Member

El Sofa
    E-bike riders just need to click 'Add a description' when viewing the ride, then click 'List' under 'Sport' to segregate their ride.

Screenshot (45).png
  8. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Perhaps you need to put Strava into some perspective and use if for your own benefit about your personal achievements, rather than those of others?
    How does a rider with a steel bike "compete" with a rider of a full carbon bike? How does a 60 year old amateur on an aluminium bike compare with pro rider just out enjoying himself, but still covering ground way faster than the 60 year old?
  9. Afnug

Afnug Everything you can imagine is real

My claim to fame, KOM in same time as Tom Pidcock, the wind was a big help for me, Tom may have had a headwind who knows.

smutchin and summerdays like this.
  10. Lonestar

Lonestar Rat Run Cyclist

CS 2 and CS 3
    Probably a few reasons why I don't want Strava.I'm not fast enough and I don't want to be worrying about what other people are doing.
    Last edited: 19 Nov 2017
  11. Joffey

Joffey Über Member

Flag his rides. That’ll stop him.
    Jody and NickNick like this.
  12. kcflyer1957

kcflyer1957 Regular

Totally agree. To track my rides, I use RidewithGPS and Mapmyride. I have no interest in competing on an app....the apps I use allow me to track my personal best, but the reason I evr owned a bike was to get out and enjoy it.
  13. sight-pin

sight-pin Über Member

El Sofa
    The Flybys feature is good to discover other routes people take.
  14. Strava has some nice features besides the competitive segment stuff. If you don't like the competitive stuff you can set it so your rides don't appear on segment leaderboards. (Although I have a rather simpler method of preventing my efforts from appearing at the tops of leaderboards). You can also switch off flybys and make your rides private by default.

All in all I prefer RideWithGPS as an online records, route planning and stats tool, but Strava can do a decent enough job too. It's not necessarily all about competing with strangers and worrying about what other people are doing.
    Last edited: 20 Nov 2017
    summerdays likes this.