I think Ebike users should have a dedicated section on Strava??

Discussion in 'Electric Bikes' started by iateyoubutler, 18 Nov 2017.

Tags:
  1. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

Can I use strava on my assisted bike then. Mine's 1000cc petrol assistance - that's allowed then?

summerdays likes this.
  2. You can do anything you like.

Strava says it's against the rules, though

Dogtrousers likes this.
  3. Afnug

Afnug Everything you can imagine is real

I ditched Strava earlier this year and deleted all my rides, I like ride with GPS but it doesn't handle your average moving speed very well, it was constantly over estimating mine, I couldn't find a fix for this, so I have gone back to Strava, I had 40+ KOMs when I left now down to 22 showing on my profile and a few I still have that are not showing :wacko: but my average moving speed is more realistic on Strava.

If you ever reload your rides to Strava don't load them as private, there is no way to un-privatise them globally and its a pain in the neck doing it individually.

4. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

Flag the ride. simple.:okay:

5. Nigel-YZ1

Nigel-YZ1 Guru

For those that chase KOM's, yes there should be segregation.
    I'm only looking at my personal times and laughing at how much faster everyone else is.
    The only time I can get a KOM is if a stand near the top and whack everyone that comes by with a large wet fish.

FishFright and glasgowcyclist like this.
  6. Ah, that's quite a different subject. And a favourite hobbyhorse of mine. As there is no authoritative method of determining "moving speed", there's no way of saying whether one method is an over estimate or not. It's true that RWGPS typically gives higher values than Strava but this doesn't make RWGPS an over estimate or Strava an under estimate. They are both are equally wrong (or right). Neither is more realistic than the other. Same goes for metres of ascent. Just choose one method and use it exclusively, never mix and match. It's a bit of a silly metric anyway, IMO.

But that's OT.

7. Phaeton

Phaeton Veteran

You don't have to, I don't, but I must admit I look at my section times sometimes with curiosity & think a) Wow look how quick they did that compared to mine it's funny & b) Wow look how quick they did that compared to mine it must have been really dangerous to go that speed over that section. :biggrin:

Lonestar likes this.
  8. Afnug

But I know how long I have been stopped on a ride or under a certain speed as set on my Garmin and Strava gets it right were as RWGPS constantly thinks I am stopped more than I am or under a certain speed, if you know how to fix this please tell as that is the reason I am now back using Strava, RWGPS was flattering just not correct.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2017
  9. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

If you really want a KOM then just make a segment along an obscure back road, and it will probably last for quite some time. Or make a long convoluted route that someone is only every going to get by actually trying to get that segment!

10. IMO there's nothing to fix. There is no such thing as a "correct" moving average speed. All you have is various algorithms giving you a number. The only possible use for moving average speed that I can see is to give a comparison between two rides. If you have a moving average of X for ride A and Y for ride B and X > Y then you know you went quicker on ride A. The fact that the absolute values of X and Y are a bit higher from RWGPS than they are from Strava is irrelevant. Their relative magnitudes are all that matter.

If you want to "fix" it then you can re-calibrate your expectations, ie just get used to the slightly higher figures from RWGPS, or apply a correction factor (subtract about 2% from the RWGPS figure). Or, as you have done, stick with the Strava method that you're used to.

Same thing applies when you start getting multiple different figures for amount of climbing in a ride. Choose one method and stick with it.

11. Afnug

I am going to have disagree, it isn't irrelevant when RWGPS is saying my moving time is 45 minutes on a hour ride and Strava is saying its 55 minutes ( and I know I have only 5 minutes of stopped time) I would say Strava is right and RWGPS got it wrong, I keep a log of my rides mostly for mileage total but if I am recording other metric I want them as accurate as possible.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  12. queasyrider

queasyrider Still perplexed

And we mustn't break the rules or..............or what?

It almost makes me want to get Strava and an e-bike.

Other than for training, monitoring performance and record-keeping purposes Strava is just pretend competition, not important, and there are so many possible variations between conditions to limit the usefulness of the segment "records".

13. Fair enough, and you have chosen Strava as your favoured method.

I'd tend to agree if they were that different, but I don't actually see such a massive difference. That would give you about a 20% variance. I only see around 2%. There are exceptions: I sometimes see larger differences on longer, slower, rides with lots and lots of stops (Friday Night to the Coast).

But my view is also coloured a bit by the fact that I think moving average is silly, and the only thing that counts is the overall. But that's both subjective and way off topic.

Afnug likes this.
  14. I tried that on my Guzzi and Strava recognised I was going a bit quick to be a cycle.

15. Or nothing. Strava isn't under UCI rules. :okay:

The titles says Strava should have a section for ebikes. I pointed out it already has, but you can't force anyone to use it. Cheating on Strava is trivial.

@iateyoubutler tell your colleague to record his ride

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice