I think Ebike users should have a dedicated section on Strava??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not a Strava user, but I understand there's an ebike section, or a means for the honest ebiker to mark his/her rides.

The extent of ebike cheating on Strava is hard to judge, but I expect there is more cheating done in other ways, such as the various programmes which massage your Strava results in a faster direction.

sight-pin

Veteran
I'm not a Strava user, but I understand there's an ebike section, or a means for the honest ebiker to mark his/her rides.

You don't even have to select "e-bike ride" if you don't want to, theirs also a box you can tick to "Hide from leaderboards" so your ride will not show on KOM's, but i think you can still compare your rides to the leaderboard.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Perhaps you need to put Strava into some perspective and use if for your own benefit about your personal achievements, rather than those of others?
How does a rider with a steel bike "compete" with a rider of a full carbon bike? How does a 60 year old amateur on an aluminium bike compare with pro rider just out enjoying himself, but still covering ground way faster than the 60 year old?
Does not matter what you ride ally, steel, carbon, If you are a strong rider.

I own an eMTB but don't log my rides on Strava with it - I rarely ride it nowadays and reserve it for recovery rides occasionally.

For me Strava is great for keeping track of routes and rides as well as those of my Club mates and others - I learn new routes this way, see how we are all doing etc.
I review both Garmin and Strava to monitor fitness etc and do like competing for segments too. I only joined Strava in July this year and find going for KOM's helps me focus and plays to my competitive nature - even if the vast majority who rode each segment weren't actually going for it.

KOM's are fun but getting them is in no way comparable to winning an actual race. Indeed, they are often false indicators in some respect for this but they do provide some training benefits and I don't like to see others 'contaminate' results by cheating and spoiling it for those who do want to take part in them competitively.

Mine are all from sprints really, shortish uphill typically. Mostly at speeds where most legal e-bike's would not help much, indeed, rather they would run out of assist and then be heavier bikes to attain higher speeds with.

Strava has various uses for different folks, I think we should all respect that and not actively seek to belittle one aspect of what it offers for others just because we might not see the point ourselves. I guess there will always be those who will cheat for peer recognition though. On a longer, 10 % average segment very close to my house I am currently only 3rd because the top 2 are e-bikers. They openly admit it, even have photos, the discussion was however cordial and light-hearted and no-one has flagged them because they are lovely blokes who do a lot to help out with events and they don't make a habit out of it. Still, it would be better if e-bikers created their own segments and challenged each other rather than compete against non-assisted bikes too.

Top Bottom