I think it may be time for a new frame...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Veteran
It's not a Mayata, but a "Kuwahara". Has anyone heard of this?

The rear chain stays are connected to the saddle tube either side of the cut which allows the tube to clamp the seat post. I've seen that occasionally, but not with the bolt going through the chain stays.
I'm trying to persuade myself this won't cause any weakness in the frame; can anyone with more experience advise?

I'm also not sure what that little lug on the right of the picture is for: I think it was connected to the cantilevers. I'll file it off as I'll be using V-Brakes.

Isn’t it a ‘lovers leap in old Japan’? ;-)

One assumes that the designer has done their sums? Google it and see if it’s been recalled? If the thing is going to give you the niggles, go for a different frame.

Rather than remove it, cap it off in case you need it at some unforeseen point?
 
OP
OP
Andy in Germany

Andy in Germany

Legendary Member
This is a rather small frame - I estimate 48cm c-c. I'd be amazed if it's bigger than your current one.

Unfortunately I think you're right.

I measured my current "emergency" bike, a 26" wheeled hybrid of uncertain vintage:

2026_09_27_Commute_99.jpg


Top tube Horizontal: 580mm
Seat tube: 500mm
Head Tube: 145mm
Wheelbase: 1080

I also finally retrieved the VSF T400 frame from the storage area on the roof of the team office:


2026_09_29_T400_Frame_01.jpg


Top Tube: 560mm
Seat Tube: 550mm
Head Tube: 190mm
Wheelbase: 1090mm

So, the T400 is a bit shorter than my current bike; that said the current bike has the shortest stem I could find because it was a bit too long, the seat tube is 50mm taller, the head tube is 45mm taller, and the wheelbase is 10mm longer. I really can't picture how this would compare in riding, bearing in mind the new frame will be converted for drop bars.
 
Top Bottom