I think my pedals are finally ready to retire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Set of m520s i have had a long time , so long in fact that the cleat tension screw on one side is jammed and no amount of soaking or brute force can i adjust it .
One side is loose and the other side is at maximum tension so its a fun lottery to guess which side i will be getting .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They last a hell of a long time. My favourite is XT SPD's - mainly as they have a metal lock ring that makes servicing a doddle as you just need a spanner to undo. Servicing is a case of undo lock ring, unscrew pedal off axel (axel still on crank), squirt in some grease and re-assemble.

I've never paid full price for XT - usually sub £50 if you wait for a sale, although getting parts, any parts is a challenge currently.

battered

Guru
Get some proper penetrating oil, not WD40, but Plus Gas, Penol, or a generic one from the motor factor. There *is* a difference. This will free up your adjuster. I learned this difference a few years ago, on an old motorbike that had been in a mate's back yard for years. Nothing would unscrew, WD 40 didn't touch it. Time and again I was shearing screws, stripping screwheads, it was impossible. £3 got some generic penetrating oil that worked first time, every time. I last used it a month ago on a throttle mechanism on a 1944 Lister D engine. Seized and useless, a quick spray, a wiggle, another spray, sorted. That's on a 75 year old piece of cast iron that has spent half its life in a field.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Meh. I'm running two pairs of M737 pedals, which are 30 years old. If the bearings are knackered, you buy A525 pedals (cheap, unwanted, rarely used in the wet) and cannibalise the axle unit, which is identical. The more battered the outside of M737s, the better they look.

Drago

Legendary Member
My XTs are my oldest pair, 21 years. Every clean they get a squirt of Duck Oil, so no corrosion, no seizing. Spring tension is good. Considering how inexpensive Spuds are they're incredible value, amazing pieces of engineering.

The only pair I own that have required attention are 520s, but I bought the tool, stripped and cleaned the bearings and they were like new again. If only everyrhing else in the consumer world was so thoroughly well designed, so robust, such good value.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
on another note the QR lever on the brake calipers on the rebuild has packed up, the brake works fine but the qr to let the wheel out doesn't do anything at all ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have you thought of heat to free the screws.

No. Started out silver. Now it's just mucky, but who looks at both pedals at the same time?

Top Bottom