I used Bikeradar..............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Bren

Entirely OT, but could you explain the provenance of your avatar please Foghat? My 76 VW Camper was plastered with stickers bearing exactly that image when it was imported from California; I know it's connected to the Grateful Dead, but they're not a band I know much about. The discovery of a big bag of dessicated 70's drugs behind the curtain rail did give me some clues though...

Bren

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Foghat said:
Given the several busy forums that the ill-conceived merger brought together, there seems to be surprisingly few users logged in whenever I take a brief look. Whoever presided over the move must be rightly proud of this entirely foreseeable achievement.

Obviously C+ decamped to here - where did the other critical masses jack to?

Only some C+ came here, but not all, many went to ACF, many stayed on BR to tough it out, some of us flit here and there. I think many decamped to other Fora such as Tri-talk or Velo-wotsits or CTC or...the list is probably endless.
As I understand, much the same happened on the MTB side as well.

I do agree that the churn of topics is pretty slow compared to the old days and the active membership is fairly small in comparison too. But it is still good for Beginners/Know-how which is a favourite area for me.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I also still visit Beginners and Know How on BR, as it is the tech side of things which is my real reason for forumming. I never bother with BR's Cake Stop or Soapbox anymore, there is enough amusement and fighing on here to keep the interest up.

Jaded

Fab Foodie said:
and the active membership is fairly small in comparison too.

and of course, we have to remember that the whole point of the merger was to get a mega number of members to sell to the advertisers. You know - sell body armour bits to the family riders, full face helmets to the roadies, 18mm tyres to the MTBers.

All you need once you have put this cunning plan together is to look at who has posted the most on the MTB forum and make him a moderator.

It just couldn't fail, could it!

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Big Bren said:
Entirely OT, but could you explain the provenance of your avatar please Foghat? My 76 VW Camper was plastered with stickers bearing exactly that image when it was imported from California; I know it's connected to the Grateful Dead, but they're not a band I know much about.

With pleasure, old horse! :biggrin:

My favourite subject......the most enthralling band I've encountered in years of musical exploration, namely the wonderful purveyors of improvised psychedelic jazzy space-funk ambient-jam bluesgrass grooverock that were the Grateful Dead.

Most people think they must be thrash rock with a name like that, when in fact nothing could be further than the truth (although the virtuoso Jerry Garcia would shred when he had the inclination). The 'Steal Your Face' logo was devised by an associate of the band, who saw a logo and thought it would look good if it was altered to look like a skull with a lightning bolt through it, and would serve as a good symbol of the American band if it was red, white and blue. It's also known as a 'stealie' - the full phrase came from the track 'He's Gone', and was then used as the title for a 1974 live album which was put together as a 'commercial' not-very-representative-of-the-live-Dead-vibe release and somewhat lacking in the stunning groove that many of their concerts exhibited.

If you're into such music, countless concerts are available from their 30-year career, but for beginners, I'd recommend getting 'Europe 72', 'Live Dead', 'The Grateful Dead Movie' or any Dick's Picks concert from 1973 to 1983 (especially DPs 1, 3, 6, 10, 18, 25, 33). :biggrin:

The Dead are an acquired taste.....it'll take time, and you'll only ever 'get' what is really going on if you listen to it, fairly loud, without ANY distraction. It does of course work on the superficial level too, but only a lucky few get beyond that!

bonj2

nicklouse is a dude. Although he does have a bit of a stock reply to anything in 'workshop and maintenance' forum, which is 'read park tools. link in sig.'

OP
OP
lardarse rider

lardarse rider

I didn't cast any nasturtiums about this nicklouse's character. I just said he was rude to me.

This place seems to be a much nicer, faster moving kinda place.

lardarse rider said:
........... to ween myself off cycling+ as I was clearly spending too much time on the forum at work. There is a fella called nicklouse on bikeradar and he was rude to me:sad:)

Anyhoo this place is nice and I wanna do it with you all. One at a time or all together is fine by me.

Please mister can I have my balls back?

I think he was rude to me too. I responded fairly briskly, and was condemned for having a go at a "forum hero." At the time the post counts hadn't been carried across and I hadn't appreciated that in MTB circles a large post count entitled you to be rude to someone below you.

There was a hard faced edge with some of them that made you fell that you wouldn't want to argue with them in a pub. Over here, I don't think there's anyone who I couldn't chat to very amicably on a face to face basis.

Fab Foodie

Patrick Stevens said:
I think he was rude to me too. I responded fairly briskly, and was condemned for having a go at a "forum hero." At the time the post counts hadn't been carried across and I hadn't appreciated that in MTB circles a large post count entitled you to be rude to someone below you.

There was a hard faced edge with some of them that made you fell that you wouldn't want to argue with them in a pub. Over here, I don't think there's anyone who I couldn't chat to very amicably on a face to face basis.

Ha, this was the spat I was referring to earlier....LOL.
There certainly were early "displays" of assertiveness from some of the MTB'ers soon after the merger rather like 2 rival groups (whoops are they called?) of Gorillas stumbling into the same clearing beating their breasts for dominance. The MTB'ers thought they were Kings of the jungle and nicklouse was their King-kong.
Oh how we laughed...and buggered-off over here!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I remember one clown became outraged at criticism of Mr Louse and said that it couldn't be justified because people travelled from all over the place "just to ride with him". How very deeply sad and feeble minded such people must be.

Fab Foodie

Andy in Sig said:
I remember one clown became outraged at criticism of Mr Louse and said that it couldn't be justified because people travelled from all over the place "just to ride with him". How very deeply sad and feeble minded such people must be.

:biggrin: We're not worthy, we're not worthy...:biggrin:

I met somebody who actually touched the hem of his Jersey and by a miracle his acne cleared-up...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
" My name is Lardarse, I am a Bike radar user......".

Well done sir, admitting it is halfway to recovery:biggrin:

Andy in Sig said:

Perhaps he's the sort of chap who could form a cult and induce all his followers to have sex with him. :biggrin:

Top Bottom