I want my scooter back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Thanks for the comments on my GL. :smile:

Hacienda71 said:
Tempted to get a restored VBA or VBB now, but she who must be obeyed might not understand.

I "sold" the restoration of mine to my good lady as an investment. With the scrappage scheme killing off plenty in Italy, classic scooters will only rise in value. If I was to do it again, I'd buy one from Spain and take my time. In fact, I might just get another.

bauldbairn

Hacienda71 said:
Don't worry about the T5 we all drive things we shouldn't ;) Square headlight mark one?

+1, I agree!

It was a good fast reliable Rally going scoot though. In slightly modified form it would sit at 85mph+ all the way down(from central Scotland) to Margate/Yarmouth. With a full Halogen conversion in the hideous "square" headlight it was actually very useful on the motorways.:thumbsup:
Much prefered the later T5 - with the engine in the PX frame and a selection of retro colours to choose from(duck egg blue) and tan leather seats.:blush:

Happiness Stan

I take it all back. This thread plus getting in touch with old scooter buddies has got me back into it. I am now in the market for a classic scooter. Let me know if you have one for sale. Meanwhile here is a picture of me back in 1984 on the way to Morecambe. I'm the twat in the hat, I still have the combat jacket.:
4481770595_6a2503d466_o.jpg

longers

Legendary Member
We/I used to love seeing you all turn up in Morecambe.

Why did they put a stop to it?

Norm

Happiness Stan said:
Meanwhile here is a picture of me back in 1984 on the way to Morecambe.
Tee hee. The thing that dates it most is 2* petrol at £1.79 per gallon. :biggrin:

wilko

Veteran
MarkF said:
I read a review on the LML 4 stroke and would be seriously interested in a 170mpg steel bodied scooter. A change of name to something "Italian" would help. Steel bodied scooters are what I do love.

Here's mine. :biggrin:

or8.jpg

or2.jpg

Nice scoot that. LML 4 stroke is the way to go now I think. Eddy Bullet, my nearest LML supplier is having an open day next weekend and I plan to go over there and have a look. Might be tempted if they go as well as they look. Watch this space. :smile:

bauldbairn

Happiness Stan said:
I take it all back. This thread plus getting in touch with old scooter buddies has got me back into it. I am now in the market for a classic scooter. Let me know if you have one for sale. Meanwhile here is a picture of me back in 1984 on the way to Morecambe. I'm the twat in the hat, I still have the combat jacket.:
4481770595_6a2503d466_o.jpg

Great news! :biggrin:

I think it must be in the blood - I've sadly thought about little else since that thread and all my old scooter buddies "HAVE" got back into it! The 40+ers(age) Scooterist revival has already started in Falkirk.

The only thing stopping me now - is the lack of a garage at my appartment.

Good luck finding a Scoot - remember to post picks. :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
wilko said:
Nice scoot that. LML 4 stroke is the way to go now I think. Eddy Bullet, my nearest LML supplier is having an open day next weekend and I plan to go over there and have a look. Might be tempted if they go as well as they look. Watch this space. :biggrin:

Let me know what you think. Unfortunately I'll not be able to get over there.
I regularly work in Portbury, but have never finished early enough to take a trip to Eddy Bullets. Must do sometime.

bauldbairn

longers said:
We/I used to love seeing you all turn up in Morecambe.

Why did they put a stop to it?

Absolutely no idea(but read the bottom of post for clues :biggrin:) - It was always a well attended rally because of it's "Central Britain" location. We loved it because most of the locals embraced the Scooterists and the out of season money it brought to the communities.

I always thought it must've been intimidating when 7000 to 15000 guest's turned up for a long weekend in your town. Most of us were in our teens/early 20's and by and large were well behaved and well organised. Although there was an element who would've caused trouble, these were warned/weeded out by the Scooterists themselves - because we didn't want to lose these Rally's.

We had two or three associations(NSRA/VFM) involved with us(Scootering ones) who would organise food at the campsites/the campsites themselves and band's and DJ's for the night clubs in the evenings. I always felt sorry for the local kids(our age) because they would have nowhere to go that weekend - although some did join us at the local pubs. There would have been no chance of them getting into the night clubs because you had to be affiliated to some organisation - to keep trouble makers out.

I think eventually the Rally's nationwide became too big for the authorities to control(after 30,000 turned up at Isle of White :thumbsup:). Our organisations had to negotiate with the Police/local authorities and give financial guaranties. The spoilsports even had the law changed to stop us riding out of the town's en masse(small groups only) - as was tradition on a Sunday morning and obviously at the end of the Rally(when we were going home :smile:).
I remember in about 1988ish going into Great Yarmouth the Police setting up road blocks to check all our scoot's details/licences/roadworthiness/legality/tax - tail backs of Scooters as far as the eye could see. To be fair to the Police they were only doing as they were told - and let us know they were as pi$$ed off as us at all the hastle the checks were causing.
I returned to Falkirk in Scotland with 7 "Horti's" - 7 day slips and handed each one over individually for checking at my local Police Station. Yes I wasted their time. The way I saw it the Police wasted at least 8 hours of my time going in and out of Norwich/Great Yarmouth - 4 hours to get in, 4 hour to get out. Then 5 random stops whilst there(illegal without reason - at the time). Remember after the checks I still had to drive for 8/10 hours to Scotland(about 500miles) - I missed my work the next day. :smile:

I think the above may have been a contributing factor to the demise of the Scooter Rallies in the late 80's. We where treated like a bunch of undisirables by the law and authorities at the time and bullied because we were young. They probably wouldn't be allowed to do any of the things they did then - now, because of Human Rights etc.

I would imagine the rules brought in then could probably effect a few of our members on here who Motorcycle / TT in groups now? :wacko:

MarkF

Guru
wilko said:
Nice scoot that. LML 4 stroke is the way to go now I think. Eddy Bullet, my nearest LML supplier is having an open day next weekend and I plan to go over there and have a look. Might be tempted if they go as well as they look. Watch this space. :smile:

Thanks. I'd be very interested in what you think of the LML as well. AFAIK Eddy Bullet had some input into the engine design.

I have a Yamaha Majesty 250 for when the weather is too bad for the Gran Lusso but, there is no involvement when riding it, it's a fantastic machine, I cannot fault it, but I need some interaction, auto's are not for me. :smile:

I've seen a few very new and good condition PX125s going for about £1200 recently. I'd get one of those over an LML.

But a PX125 won't do 170mpg, nor will it have the performance of the 4 stroke. IMO the later (strangled) PX125's are so slow that they are borderline dangerous.

Top Bottom