I want my scooter back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
i do miss my minis sometimes. it's nice to have a decent mini on the drive...

007.jpg

005.jpg

... but they don't stay decent for long :biggrin:...

008.jpg

004.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Fab Foodie

Kirstie said:
Silly? Don't be so patronising. They're transport for chavs. C-H-A-V-S. :angry:;)

No, no, no... There are scooters and err... scooters, just like there are POBs and Cyclists, BSO and Bicycles. Real Vespas and Lambrettas are cool... La Dolce Vita.

bauldbairn

Years ago I had a Vespa. A proper one with manual gears.

+1,

I've had several(PX125EFL,P200E,T5) and was a dedicated "rally" attending "scooterist" for many years in the mid to late 80's and early 90's.;)
Any (Uphall)Coyotes SC members out there?:biggrin:

Fab Foodie said:
A scooter is on my 'wants' list, prob one of those LML star ones (Indian made Vespa PX125s), one day in the next few years...Scooters are brill.

Dunno bout the Indian Scooters though - it's down to personal choice. The whole SIL(Indian Lambrettas) Scooters fiasco is still fresh in my memory - batches shipped to Britian in the late 80's, followed by mass mechanical failures due to poorly sourced parts and workmanship.:biggrin: They've maybe improved now??
Why not source a much loved,well looked after Italian Vespa - the engines are simple to work on and pretty bulletproof in standard unmodified form. I was clocking 18,000miles a year as a utility Scooterist - clutches/piston rings and regular(good quality) oil changes, where all they required.:sad:

Bandini said:
Don't be silly! There is a big difference between a nice Vespa or Lambretta (and the people who ride them):http://

+1, Not to be confused at all with today's RLJ/Pavement riding twist and go "Mopedeers!" :angry:

Fab Foodie said:
No, no, no... There are scooters and err... scooters, just like there are POBs and Cyclists, BSO and Bicycles. Real Vespas and Lambrettas are cool... La Dolce Vita.

+1, Well put! :sad:

Fab Foodie

bauldbairn said:
Dunno bout the Indian Scooters though - it's down to personal choice. The whole SIL(Indian Lambrettas) Scooters fiasco is still fresh in my memory - batches shipped to Britian in the late 80's, followed by mass mechanical failures due to poorly sourced parts and workmanship.:laugh: They've maybe improved now??
Why not source a much loved,well looked after Italian Vespa - the engines are simple to work on and pretty bulletproof in standard unmodified form. I was clocking 18,000miles a year as a utility Scooterist - clutches/piston rings and regular(good quality) oil changes, where all they required.:tongue:

I know what you mean, but I have no desire or aptitude to work on engines or mechanical items (even fettling bikes gives little joy) so something that has been modernised and is new with warranties etc works for me. Just wanna reliable ride.
From what I can glean the LMLs are very good and improvements and modernisations have been made over the original Vespa design. S'fine by me.

http://www.eddybullet.com/page26.html

bauldbairn

Fab Foodie said:
I know what you mean, but I have no desire or aptitude to work on engines or mechanical items (even fettling bikes gives little joy) so something that has been modernised and is new with warranties etc works for me. Just wanna reliable ride.
From what I can glean the LMLs are very good and improvements and modernisations have been made over the original Vespa design. S'fine by me.

http://www.eddybullet.com/page26.html

Cheers for the link FF - it does indeed look like an interesting bike and if you have a competant/reliable dealer locally, no worry's. :laugh:

The "need more speed" bit brought back a few memories as these were the same modifications that we(scooterists) carried out 20 years ago.:tongue: - :smile:

Remember to post some photo's when you eventually get it? :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

bauldbairn said:
Remember to post some photo's when you eventually get it? :biggrin:

It might be a long wait! I lost my opportunity when we made the decision to go from 2 cars to 1. Shortly I'll have 2 kids ready to start driving and Mrs FF's already starting to talk about getting a small runabout :smile: I can see my scooter going down the swanny.

My plan is, I could have a VW camper, Scooter and Brommie all the same colour scheme... or maybe that's too weird...

Fab Foodie

XmisterIS said:
IMHO ....

I don't like ...

Vespa-GTV250Navy_01.jpg

:laugh:

But thats not a scooter... I mean it IS of course a scooter, but in the same way than an Apollo Full Susser is a 'bicycle' rather than a BSO. It's has no coolness whatsoe-ever, whereas the one in the OP and the LML and old Lambrettas are proper scooters and cool.

Kirstie, you paying attention?

Top Bottom