I want my scooter back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bauldbairn

wilko said:
It's a 200cc. Vespa Serie Speciale PX200. The Serie Speciale model was made in 2002 to celebrate the end of a 25 year run of the Vespa PX200. Only 400 Serie Speciale Vespa PX200s were made :tongue:

Cheers Wilko!

I buy Scootering back and forward to see how the scene has developed - can't believe they seem to have fully accepted the New Vespa Four-Stroke Armchair. I suppose thats evolution for you - evolve or die! I remember how the scooterists rejected the quickly forgotten Vespa COSA - which was to replace the PX range.

Oh! Happyness Stan - about ten of the guy's I used to run about with when I was into mod/scooter scene have all drifted back into Scooters. They regularilly meet at the Graeme Hotel in Falkirk on a Thursday night and not one of them isn't in their forties. I'm currently thinking of joining them. We'd all like to be 20 for ever but that's not going to happen is it?:laugh:
Wilko did just say he was TRYING to look cool. Who cares what people think?
Is it just you that thinks you look cool(ok) in your Fred Perry? :laugh: - :biggrin: - :laugh:

Happiness Stan

What ever creases your sta-prest Bauldy. I'd like to get back into it, but scootering in the early 80s was such a magical time that I fear that everything else will be a poor cover version.

Happiness Stan

I'm stunned at the prices scooters command as well. At H&H auctions, a none running 1961 Lambo went for 1000 and 1987 PX125T5 for 3200 - although this may have been mint.

Proto

Legendary Member
Years ago I had a Vespa. A proper one with manual gears.
Sometimes I really miss it. The only thing stopping me is that there's nowhere I'd use it where I couldn't cycle.

I've just bought one from a bloke at work, a 125cc PX, same colour as your photo. It's got an oil leak and a broken speedo cable but I'll soon sort that. Weather getting nice too!! Though it'll probably end up going to my daughter to use at uni.

PS I've just bought a Buell XBR12S Lightning as well. It was cheap, I fancied it, so I bought it. Pure indulgence :biggrin:

Like this but red

21556_0_1_2_lightning%20xb12s_Image%20credits%20-%20Buell.jpg

bauldbairn

Happiness Stan said:
What ever creases your sta-prest Bauldy. I'd like to get back into it, but scootering in the early 80s was such a magical time that I fear that everything else will be a poor cover version.

:sad:

+1, Likewise - couldn't imagine having the stamina now, driving 500 miles straight to Margate only stopping for fuel and a quick Mars bar.

Happiness Stan said:
I'm stunned at the prices scooters command as well. At H&H auctions, a none running 1961 Lambo went for 1000 and 1987 PX125T5 for 3200 - although this may have been mint.

+1, Unbelievable :ohmy: - whilst looking at the spec of Wilkos Scoot £3000+ seems to be the going rate for a lot of Scooters these days.
Think I paid about £1500 for a brand new PX125EFL in 1985 and just over £2100 for a brand new T5 in 1988 - suppose that is over 20 years ago!:sad:

bauldbairn

Proto said:
I've just bought one from a bloke at work, a 125cc PX, same colour as your photo. It's got an oil leak and a broken speedo cable but I'll soon sort that. Weather getting nice too!! Though it'll probably end up going to my daughter to use at uni.

PS I've just bought a Buell XBR12S Lightning as well. It was cheap, I fancied it, so I bought it. Pure indulgence :sad:

Like this but red

21556_0_1_2_lightning%20xb12s_Image%20credits%20-%20Buell.jpg

That's one hell of a front disc Proto - I take it, it's to compensate for there only being one on the front wheel instead of two?

The oil leak on your daughters scoot is most likely to be from the gear selector gasket - as these were only held on with two bolts and were notorious for leaking. Worth also checking the gasket(washer) on the oil filler bolt too. Hopefully the oil leaks not from the rear hub seal or engine casing gasket - slightly more hastle if it is.
The speedo cable is an easy change - just make sure the gear wheel the cable go's into in the front wheel spins freely, if at all(and regrease/replace it). They're forever breaking - I always carried a spare.

The PX125 is a good beginners scoot - should do 50+ and keep up with traffic ok! I hope she enjoys it.:sad:

bauldbairn

wilko said:
I sold a Lambretta TV175 last year for £3000 and it was cheap. Mint TV200's and SX200's fetch between £4000 and £5000! :ohmy:

But mint original TV200's,SX200's and GP200's are the holy grail of scootering along with Rallye 200 and SS180 Vespa's - I think their prices are reasonable/justifiable. :sad:
It's the crazy prices for the bog standard (once)throw away 125's I can't understand.:sad:

:biggrin:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
bauldbairn said:
But mint original TV200's,SX200's and GP200's are the holy grail of scootering along with Rallye 200 and SS180 Vespa's - I think their prices are reasonable/justifiable. :sad:
It's the crazy prices for the bog standard (once)throw away 125's I can't understand.:sad:

Mmmm GS160 :ohmy: Being a bit of a mod I hope none of you took a hacksaw to your trusty steeds back in the day;)

Norm

Proto said:
PS I've just bought a Buell XBR12S Lightning as well. It was cheap, I fancied it, so I bought it. Pure indulgence :sad:
See you on the forums at www.ukbeg.com, then. :ohmy:

bauldbairn said:
That's one hell of a front disc Proto - I take it, it's to compensate for there only being one on the front wheel instead of two?
Single disk but rim mounted, gives a huge swept area so the pads have as much coverage on the single disc as they do on the pair of discs on most other bikes. Also, because it's rim mounted, the braking force does not need to travel down the wheel spokes so the wheel can be made lighter.

According to Buell marketing (Buellshit? :sad: ) anyway.

Happiness Stan said:
Speaking as a mad Scooter Boy from the early 80s, I have discovered that it is very difficult to look cool riding a scooter when you are over 40.
I think that any time anyone ever does anything because it is cool, it is automatically not at all cool.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
These are objects of beauty, as far as I'm concerned :becool:
Nice to see such an active Mod contingent amongst the cycle-chatters :becool:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Fnaar said:
These are objects of beauty, as far as I'm concerned :becool:
Nice to see such an active Mod contingent amongst the cycle-chatters :becool:

As soon as I opened that photo I hear Booker T and the MGs running through my head!

Proto

Legendary Member
bauldbairn said:
But mint original TV200's,SX200's and GP200's are the holy grail of scootering along with Rallye 200 and SS180 Vespa's - I think their prices are reasonable/justifiable. :thumbsup:
It's the crazy prices for the bog standard (once)throw away 125's I can't understand.:becool:

I had a mate at school who bought something called (I might get this bit wrong, it was a long time ago :becool:) an 'Arthur Francis Special S Type' Lambretta. I think it was a GP225. He reckoned it was the fastest thing around and cost him a fortune.

Top Bottom