I want my scooter back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bauldbairn

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Good Calls (all worked for me).

Patrice Holoway, Stolen Hours...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJN5loD60Ds&feature=PlayList&p=57597C0682E744D7&index=74

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Youtube is fantastic for hearing the tunes again, I reckon there must be 90+ % of the records you can think of. My 3 year old daughter and 5 year old love listening to a compilation cd I put together of northern soul downloads. Although they now want me to play R Dean Taylor Ghost in my House every time we go anywhere. :biggrin:

bauldbairn

Hacienda71 said:
Youtube is fantastic for hearing the tunes again, I reckon there must be 90+ % of the records you can think of. My 3 year old daughter and 5 year old love listening to a compilation cd I put together of northern soul downloads. Although they now want me to play R Dean Taylor Ghost in my House every time we go anywhere. :smile:

I like listening to tunes on YouTube but it's so addictive - I start off listening to one thing(Northern) and end up off on a tangent listening to the Cocteau Twins(this mortal coil) "Song for the Siren" or one of the many other artists that have covered the original or something else.

Ghost in my House by R Dean Taylor(Motowns first white singer I think) is one of my favourite songs and one I would attribute to me finding soul interesting/different. I've got a few of my pals kids "brainwashed" into liking soul - its not hard, I think it's the beat/rhythm/dancing they like?:biggrin:

Funnily enough last year on Scottish TV, there was a series of adverts for parents to spend more time playing with their kids - it showed the parents dancing to Northern with their babies - I'll post it if I can find it.:becool:

To be honest I loved Tamla as much as Northern - as I absolutely hated some of the elitist NS collectors that hung around the scene and it really put me off.
Just reminds me my mates DJing at a NS night in Glasgow on the 6th of March(Sat?) - can't go as I'm working.
He still has two 50's scoots - original number plates/colours the lot(resprayed back to as close as) he's owned them for 25 years, since he was 16. One's a 1955 Douglas Vespa 152L2 125cc(made in the UK, I think?), the others a 1957 Lambretta Li 150cc.

Looks like you and me were the last ones on the dancefloor on this thread, Hacienda71. :biggrin:

MarkF

Guru
I have 2 motorbikes right now, they change regularly, I can never find the "perfect bike and I don't love them. I have a Yamaha Majesty 250 auto scooter, that is excellent, 80mph+, 70mpg, comfy, weather protection and good storage.

I read a review on the LML 4 stroke and would be seriously interested in a 170mpg steel bodied scooter. A change of name to something "Italian" would help. Steel bodied scooters are what I do love.

Here's mine. :tongue:

or8.jpg

or2.jpg

Hacienda71

bauldbairn said:
Nothern Soul dancing baby - in Scottish TV ad last year. This is only a small part of one of the ads used but you'll get the idea Hacienda71.

http://www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2009/10/1/11532-scottish-government-launches-child-development-

Put a smile on my face cheers:smile:

I know what you mean about ns experts getting a bit anal. Tamla is spot on and love all the early stuff Junior Walker, Four Tops, Edwin Starr Etc.

Bandini

Happiness Stan said:
I have discovered that it is very difficult to look cool riding a scooter when you are over 40. You just look sad. No offence Wilko.

Not true. 'It's a state of mind not a label.' You need to adjust accordingly! I agree with some of your other points. But then I think most of those things look naff on anyone of any age. :biggrin:

Hacienda71

MarkF said:
I have 2 motorbikes right now, they change regularly, I can never find the "perfect bike and I don't love them. I have a Yamaha Majesty 250 auto scooter, that is excellent, 80mph+, 70mpg, comfy, weather protection and good storage.

I read a review on the LML 4 stroke and would be seriously interested in a 170mpg steel bodied scooter. A change of name to something "Italian" would help. Steel bodied scooters are what I do love.

Here's mine. :biggrin:

Nice looking scoot. I haven't had one for twenty years:sad: Haven't got many pics but here is one of my 1967 Small Frame 125

picture.php
picture.php

bauldbairn

Hacienda71 said:
Nice looking scoot. I haven't had one for twenty years:sad: Haven't got many pics but here is one of my 1967 Small Frame 125

picture.php
picture.php

Nice Scoot Hacienda71 - never had a small frame(on account I've got a large frame:smile:). But I did have a loan of a Red P125ETS for a couple of weeks while I got my badly smashed up PX125EFL repaired, I could see the attraction to race them - in standard guise they handled/accelerated so much better. The ETS(basically a tuned PK,with stripes) would almost hit 70mph whereas the PX could just about touch 60mph down a very steep hill.

Just back from my Mum's - forgot to get photos. Don't have any of my P2, there's 1 or 2 of my PX and I've got quite a few of my T5(not a very mod scoot I know!). I'll scan and post ASAP.

Hacienda71

bauldbairn said:
Nice Scoot Hacienda71 - never had a small frame(on account I've got a large frame:smile:). I've got quite a few of my T5(not a very mod scoot I know!). .

Had a lot of small frames got my first one when i was 15 so i could ride it on my 16th. New them inside out to work on. Only had one large frame 1974 150 super 8 inch wheels not the best. Had a Lammy Li150 series 2 not fast but loved it full ground up resto 60's Innocenti paint twin leather saddles the lot:biggrin:. Got knicked:sad:

Don't worry about the T5 we all drive things we shouldn't :biggrin: Square headlight mark one? I had a Vega ugliest thing I've ever owned but fast with sweet handling.:laugh:

Tempted to get a restored VBA or VBB now, but she who must be obeyed might not understand.

Top Bottom