I want my scooter back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I bought my first Vespa in 1986 at the age of 15 a 1973 50n in bits £60 I then had 6 more scooters a 50special, V90, V125s Lambretta Vega, V150 Super and a Lambretta Li150 series2.
I was a little obsessed as a teenager loved them. Hate to think what they would have been worth now. Unfortunately my mum and dad did not understand that the N+1 rule applies to Italian scooters owned by their son when it reduces storage in their garage.:laugh:

bauldbairn

Fab Foodie said:
But thats not a scooter...It's has no coolness whatsoe-ever, whereas the one in the OP and the LML and old Lambrettas are proper scooters and cool.

+1, and it doesn't have gears(I think).

Bandini

I didn't say she was 'a silly girl' - but she was being silly! The BSO analogy is spot on. That scooter and that motor bike both look horrible in my opinion.

wilko

Veteran
Me trying to look cool on my Vespa. And failing miserably!!

Vespa005.jpg

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Fab Foodie said:
But thats not a scooter... I mean it IS of course a scooter, but in the same way than an Apollo Full Susser is a 'bicycle' rather than a BSO. It's has no coolness whatsoe-ever, whereas the one in the OP and the LML and old Lambrettas are proper scooters and cool.

Kirstie, you paying attention?

Lol! I'm inclined to agree with Kirstie! :angry:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The Large Frame Vespa designed in the 1940s and in production with little change to this current day now being built by LML in India but previously built in various countries around the world is a design classic:becool::becool::becool::becool::becool::becool::becool::becool:.
As previously discussed in the thread it is like comparing a BSO to a Bianchi or a Merckx. There should be a clasification SSO to refer to the plastic cr*p that one sees on the road today which are Chav vehicles. A classic Vespa or Lambretta is a whole different kettle of fish. They are design icons of the last century like the Beetle, the Mini, the Corbusier recliner, the Barcelona chair. They brought transportation to the masses in Italy, India most of South Eastern Asia and even to the UK in the sixities, In fact most of the world. Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck Chavs in Roman Holiday? Pah I think not!:biggrin:

gavintc

Guru
My wife is on her motor bike test tomorrow morning. She wants to get an old Vespa as a run around for the city. 3 tests passed, just the final test to go.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
gavintc said:
My wife is on her motor bike test tomorrow morning. She wants to get an old Vespa as a run around for the city. 3 tests passed, just the final test to go.

Fab! Best of luck Mrs gtc

bauldbairn

Hacienda71 said:
The Large Frame Vespa designed in the 1940s and in production with little change to this current day now being built by LML in India but previously built in various countries around the world is a design classic:becool::laugh::becool::biggrin::becool::biggrin::becool::becool:.
As previously discussed in the thread it is like comparing a BSO to a Bianchi or a Merckx. There should be a clasification SSO to refer to the plastic cr*p that one sees on the road today which are Chav vehicles. A classic Vespa or Lambretta is a whole different kettle of fish. They are design icons of the last century like the Beetle, the Mini, the Corbusier recliner, the Barcelona chair. They brought transportation to the masses in Italy, India most of South Eastern Asia and even to the UK in the sixities, In fact most of the world. Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck Chavs in Roman Holiday? Pah I think not!:wacko:

+1, Couldn't agree more - I regard Scooter Shaped Objects(SSO) as Mopeds not Scooters.

bauldbairn

Fab Foodie said:
Fab! Best of luck Mrs gtc

+1, Good luck to your wife gavintc.

I passed my test on my scooter when I was 18(23 yrs ago :wacko:), three years before my employer forced me to pass my car test.

wilko

Veteran
It's a 200cc. Vespa Serie Speciale PX200. The Serie Speciale model was made in 2002 to celebrate the end of a 25 year run of the Vespa PX200. Only 400 Serie Speciale Vespa PX200s were made :biggrin:

Happiness Stan

wilko said:
Me trying to look cool on my Vespa. And failing miserably!!

Vespa005.jpg

Speaking as a mad Scooter Boy from the early 80s, I have discovered that it is very difficult to look cool riding a scooter when you are over 40. You just look sad. No offence Wilko.

The same goes for over 40s trying to look cool wearing football shirts, band tees, slogan tees, golf jumpers and flat caps. You look ok if you are 20 but not 40.

Fred Perry is ok if you are still roughly the same weight you were when you were 18.

Which I am:biggrin:

Top Bottom